Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Reez)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-16-2017, 4:10 PM Reply   
I have alwayahad very consistent front rolls and it was the first invert I learned. Last year I started doing more scarecrows and off axis stuff. Now I have developed some type of front roll scarecrow hybrid where I come down somewhere between for both tricks when I do a front roll. Usually ends up with me skidding out on my heels . Is this a rope position issue ? So I just need to focus more on landing on my toes ? Any insite will help .
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-16-2017, 4:23 PM Reply   
Hard to say without some video. I think a lot of people learn the scarecrow first, and tend to throw it out the back a bit by dropping their back shoulder at the wake. This makes a really easy pop and helps spot the landing really early. You can open your body up a little earlier on a crow to to prep for the landing.

However, these habits it makes it hard to then learn a straight front roll where you pop up first and then flip.
I would concentrate on keeping the rope at your front hip and make sure you initiate the rotation for the front roll straight down. Stay tucked up just a fraction of a second longer so you get over on your toes. Halfway through the trick, drop your back hand and that will help you from going to 180 as long as you popped straight and didn't go out the back or drop your shoulder off the wake.

This may not even apply to you though since you learned the straight front roll first. Post some vids and others will chime in.
Best of luck...
Old     (Reez)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-16-2017, 4:33 PM Reply   
Landing with the rope in my left hand with my right foot slightly in front of my left basically
Old     (Reez)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-16-2017, 4:48 PM Reply   
Thanks for the input I think you have helped me out alot . I'll try to get some video .
Old     (Reez)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-29-2017, 9:18 AM Reply   

[So I have been just taking it to a
Scarecrow lately. This video shows was I intended to be a front rolll but it ends with a late 180.
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-29-2017, 10:16 AM Reply   
Yank hard with your lead hand to your lead hip. It is really easy to get lazy with handle position and that is one of the most important things with all tricks. If you are strong with handle position it will fix your problem. Another option is to look at the shore. If you look at the boat it is going to naturally square your shoulders and will cause u to rotate the 180 on the scare crow.

Looks good though just some minor adjustments and u should be go to go again.
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-30-2017, 12:20 PM Reply   
Nice scarecrow, really good height.

I see what is happening, and it's what I thought... it is happening right as you leave the wake. The way you drop your right shoulder down as you pop and open up to the boat. Right after you pop, your upper body is moving into the 180. There is one point where you can clearly see your face, if you were doing a true front roll, we should be looking at your left ear.

You can also notice that your roll is thrown a little bit out the back. If you were able to pull this around to your normal stance it would be more of an elephant than a frontroll. But the way you're popping, dropping your back shoulder, and opening up to the boat is going to send you out the back and into more of a scarecrow type of rotation.

Focus on popping up first, then go over the front. Think trip flip edge like a tantrum in reverse. In that vid you are pushing your board out in front of you a bit.

BCPMike is right that keeping the handle strong at your front hip will help, but you also need to modify your pop and how you initiate the roll IMO.

Good news is you have plenty of height to work with, so bringing it around and sticking it shouldn't be too hard for you. You gotta really emphasize the front roll motion to get over on your toes... at least I do.
Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003 Location: Australia       05-30-2017, 3:32 PM Reply   
So I'm just going to put it out there - Turn it into an elephant. Go bigger and it will look awesome!