Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       12-27-2010, 4:21 AM Reply   
Ok, just sold my 02 vlx and I am about to purchase a used 2010 vlx. We just got a place out in parker, az. I am buying the boat in CA, if I register in AZ i'm told there will be no sales tax because it is a private party. Also, does AZ have that stupid property tax on a boat that CA has and charges every year? Anyone have a place out there and can help with this?
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       12-27-2010, 5:16 PM Reply   
Ok, anyone live in az that can help with this? I can't find info on the web. Don't worry, I wont hold you responsible.
Old     (dgarland0)      Join Date: Apr 2003       12-27-2010, 7:58 PM Reply   
AZ does not have a "luxury" tax like CA. Not positive about the sales tax issue, but I know I bought a travel trailer in AZ through private party and paid no tax. Hope this helps.

dg
Old     (SkySki)      Join Date: Feb 2010       12-28-2010, 4:46 AM Reply   
There is a tax of some kind when you go from CA to AZ. It is not much. They go off of the value on the bill of sale/title/registration. The trailer will need a perm tag through the DMV and the boat will need to be registered through the AZ fish and game. See the website below. I have bought 4 boats from CA and I live in AZ. We do not have the property tax like CA does. If you are going to keep it here, I would register it here. It will be cheaper. It all depends on if you are going to be considered a resident or non-resident. If you are going to bring it back to CA, you might get hassled by the police every now and then due to your vehicle and trailer having different plates. That is what I have heard anyway.

http://www.azgfd.gov/outdoor_recreation/boating.shtml
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       12-28-2010, 10:32 AM Reply   
I wonder if I can register it as a resident if we own the place. I've heard the same thing about towing the the boat with different plates. I've been told I can register the boat in AZ and the trailer in CA, because they are two different entities. That saves on the hassle of getting stopped by the police. I guess i'll learn what rules there are and how to play them to my benefit. thank you for the info
Old    mojo            12-28-2010, 10:37 AM Reply   
I lived I'm Florida wihen I got my boat. Paid no sales tax bc I was moving to Alabama. Basically register where its going to be stored. Cali needs your moneynmore obviously from their billions of debt
Old     (xpjim1)      Join Date: Apr 2005       12-28-2010, 9:56 PM Reply   
I live in california and own a home in Havasu. I registered my boat in Arizona because they did not have the 1% property tax as CA did. Since then Arizona has gotten Californiaized and charge non residents a higher registration fee based on boat length. It still is less than paying the 1% persona property tax. My 24 foot tige is $259 per year. The trailer I regisered in California as it is $25 for 5 years. Arizona you pay $125 lifetime for the trailer. I also want to bring the boat to California and not be hassled. California has a law that if you are a resident in California and register your vvehicle in another state it is illegal for that vehicle to enter california. The exception is boats as coast guard regulationslet you register the boat where you use it the most. Owning a property in Arizona does not maek you a resident and you have to register the boat as a non resident. Check out the Arizona Game and fish website for the details. As far as sales tax I know if you buy a used vehicle from private party in arizona and register it in Arizona there is no sales tax
Old     (HighVoltage)      Join Date: Aug 2010       12-28-2010, 10:24 PM Reply   
I believe boats made after 07 or 08 need to have additional emissions controls to be registered in California. If your boat doesn't have it already, the additional cost may be a grand or so for the emissions device. Arizona most likely has 0 emissions regulations.
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       12-29-2010, 9:11 PM Reply   
xpjim1, thanks for the info. Like you said, the registration itself is cheaper than the luxury tax Ca charges. I'll set it up like you have.

And the boat has the emissions controls, so it'll be cool

Thanks all
Old     (Shooter)      Join Date: Apr 2010       12-29-2010, 9:32 PM Reply   
If you get pulled over you just need to know what to say. The standard rule for registration for vehicles (I assume for vessels also) is where the property is kept %51 of the time. A driver license must be held in the state you live in %51 of the time.
Old     (78Triple6)      Join Date: Jan 2014       03-14-2014, 4:05 PM Reply   
Shooter, is this true for most states, generally speaking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       03-16-2014, 12:00 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryPoole View Post
Foreclosing your home is the saddest part since you find your self homeless. One of the bad effect of economic crisis is that you cannot pay for your taxes and other debt obligations. A cash advance can help you pay for your lien against your property.

I have no idea what this has to do with boat registration. I don't think the license matters in AZ. You can register the boat there as a non resident. So my registration is AZ, non resident, and my on it is here is so cal. If they allow it, so be it. Have not had an issue once during this time

Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       03-16-2014, 12:13 PM Reply   
^^my address here in so cal

Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-16-2014, 3:16 PM Reply   
No sales tax in AZ for private party sales..... I sure miss AZ.
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       03-17-2014, 8:38 AM Reply   
no sales tax on used in AZ, but the vehicle has to come from AZ from what I have heard, Cant you use your AZ residence in Parker to qualify for a resident reg?