Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (mbrando)      Join Date: May 2014       05-05-2014, 8:04 AM Reply   
I'm new to the site and would love some help! My husband and I are going to be making our first boat purchase very soon and I'm not certain what the best boat for us is - even after hours on this site and reading countless reviews. I love wakesurfing (not a pro by any means), so that it what I will mainly use the boat for. I do like to wakeboard, and so do my friends. My friends are much more advanced than I am, so unless the wake is awful, it's really not a huge concern for me. Also, I come from a family of expert level skiers (don't judge ) and still love to break out my slalom on occasion, so when we have the fam with us, there will be skiing.

We've narrowed it down to a 2014 Nautique 230 or Malibu 23 LSV and need help deciding. The Malibu dealer also really hyped up the Axis, so that has added to my confusion! Should I consider saving some coin and going with an axis? Our local dealer only sells malibu, but is adding axis next summer, so we'd have to buy an axis at a dealer about 1.5 hours away (local dealer is 20 mins from home) - same with Nautique. My sister has a 2013 malibu 24 lsv and I'm familiar with mailbus, but I love the look of the new nautiques - don't want to base this kind of a decision solely on aesthetics, though. Please help!

Thanks in advance!
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       05-05-2014, 8:37 AM Reply   
IMO, local dealer support trumps this decision. Buying the Axis from a different dealer, then expecting your local dealer to support it is kind of ****ty. I'd go with the 23 LSV.
Old     (mbrando)      Join Date: May 2014       05-05-2014, 8:49 AM Reply   
Thanks, Tom! Guess I should clarify - if we go with a brand that isn't sold at our local dealer, we'd take it to whatever dealer we did purchase from for service/support. we've got family on the lake where that dealer is, so we could make a weekend out of it. Realistically, though, is that too much of a hassle long term?
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       05-05-2014, 8:56 AM Reply   
In my opinion, yes it's a hassle. A lot of people do it, though. Not everyone has their dealer around the corner. I don't think you're going to find that the Nautique is any better than the 23 LSV, especially when you take this into consideration. They are very comparable boats. I'd prefer the Malibu since I think that the wake is more user friendly. When it comes to the Axis, the performance is GREAT. The A24 has one of the best wakes out there. You'll find significant differences in the finishes on the boat, though. The Malibu is more luxurious. Nice plush carpets, touch screens, high grade vinyl wrapping everything, larger standard engine, power wedge, etc... If you really want to save yourself some money, the Axis is a great buy. I'm not sure if that's worth the drive for servicing the boat, that part is up to you. The A24 is A LOT cheaper than the 23 LSV...
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       05-05-2014, 9:45 AM Reply   
My dealer is about an hr away and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another boat from them, I'd even drive 2 hrs. As a matter of fact I prefer them opposed to the dealer of another brand that is only 10mins away.
I think though you need to schedule a weekday water test on each boat pretty much back to back so you get a feel for each. Make sure you bring your boards and ride behind the boat. Only then will it be an informed decision.

Only thing I will say about Nautique vs Malibu is that I've never read about Nautique trying to avoid warranty claims and hassle of dealer vs manufacture vs owner struggles.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       05-05-2014, 10:26 AM Reply   
Welcome to the site, Micah!

You seem to have a real gnarly first world problem on your hands! Whatever boat you choose, I applaud you for diving into the sport HEAD FIRST!! You are looking at three great boats, and I’m confident whichever you pick will provide you many years of happiness and good memories on the water.

As somebody who just took delivery of a 2014 Malibu 23 LSV, I think you can probably guess what I’m going to say. While I’ve had Malibus in the past, I first demo’d the new LSV last fall and I was amazed at how improved it was from my prior boats. Honestly, I could have easily demo’d a 230 (same dealership), but I didn’t even bother (more on this below).

Wakeboarding: I already knew I loved the shape and versatility of the Malibu wake (big with a mellow transition and a lip at the top) as opposed to the Nautique wake (big but more abrupt/ steep). I also knew that the Malibu wake is clean down to low speeds. Not sure if that’s important to you or not (any kids??), but the Nautique wake is known wash out at lower speeds. I’ve also read scores of threads over on the boat forum about how “finicky” the 230 wake can be, side-to-side sensitive, etc. I once had a boat with those same wake characteristics (MB) and I just know from moving to Malibu several years ago how much more versatile the Malibu wake is for all the different types of riders in our family. Four ballast tanks and a wedge really give you a lot of variables to use when creating wake. I can literally go from slow and mellow (for my 7 year old) to fast, big, and meaty with a clean lip for some of my buddies who really tear it up. And everything in between!

Wakesurfing: The 23 has very BIG and LONG surf wave. I’m a big Surf Gate fan mainly because of the length you get out of it. You’ll definitely want to order the Plug & Play ballast option and think about getting some extra weight in the bow. With this recipe, the wave is money. I can’t speak for NSS from Nautique, but I’ m sure it produces a nice wave too as it’s using similar theory (the two companies are actually in court right now over patent infringement).

Body Style: If I were you, this would be my primary motivation to go Malibu. The 23 LSV is all new for 2014 and it’s the #1 seller and arguable the new flagship boat for Bu. That spells good resale value for years as yours will look fresh for a long time. On the other hand, I’m not sure what you mean when you say you like the new look of Nautique… the 230 is an older design and it’s been around for years. How much longer will Nautique produce it as you see it now? It’s already in the shadow of the G-series. That may not matter to you, but it’s worth thinking about since this is a big investment. I don’t typically like buying cars or boats that are at the end of the design cycle, especially high-end stuff. Maybe that’s just me…

Axis: This is a good option if you want to save some coin and you’re okay with a more basic interior. Which model were you thinking? The new T22 is getting great reviews. So is the A24. They both have the same Malibu wakeboarding characteristics I mentioned, and now that they have Surf Gate + PnP they offer a lot of the Malibu value proposition on a budget. You just have to get comfortable with the edgier look and more spartan interior.

Anyway, that’s my take… either way you’re going to be thrilled.

Couple of pics of my new wake sled and a video of the surf wave…

Last edited by ixfe; 05-05-2014 at 10:28 AM.
Old     (mbrando)      Join Date: May 2014       05-05-2014, 10:57 AM Reply   
thanks Ron - that's definitely something that I hadn't thought to look into /:

DBC - yeah, it's a horrible problem to have! some of the reviews mentioned the finicky wake, but I must've missed the speed side. we don't have kiddos, but have nieces, nephews, and friends kids that we'd love to take out, so that's definitely something to consider. I also hadn't even realized that the 230 is likely at the end of a design cycle - personally, I think that is a huge disadvantage. I just liked the look of the nau-teak and the color schemes (: I can be swayed easily by something that I think is pretty and forget about more important aspects, so that's why this forum is so great for someone like me (;

Thanks for the video and pics! I LOVE that color scheme! seeing the length of that wake makes me happy - looks longer than the one that my cousins 24 lsv throws.

The dealer was talking about the A24, so that's the only Axis that I've looked at/read up on. I'll have to research the T22. I just know whatever we get, we will likely keep for a long time (famous last words?), so we want to make sure we don't settle for something that we'd regret or end up wishing we had something else and trading it in next spring.
Old     (iShredSAN)      Join Date: Apr 2012       05-05-2014, 11:17 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrando View Post
I also hadn't even realized that the 230 is likely at the end of a design cycle - personally, I think that is a huge disadvantage.
Some good info above and whatever boat you decide will be a great one. however, I may be wrong but it has not been mentioned anywhere that the 230 is at the end of the design cycle. Just FYI.. Also, keep in mind many of the recommendations are given by owners of that particular brand (somewhat biased ). Either way I would go demo all 3 and make your decision based on that as well as which dealer you will be using.
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       05-05-2014, 11:38 AM Reply   
Actually some horrible advice from above! The 230 is a redesign for 2014!
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       05-05-2014, 3:47 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicron View Post
Actually some horrible advice from above! The 230 is a redesign for 2014!
Ugh... you're right. If I could edit my post, I would. I was under the impression the 2014 was a carry over from previous. I see now it looks like a new top deck and interior. I assume same running surface.

My apologies.
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       05-05-2014, 3:53 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfe View Post
Ugh... you're right. If I could edit my post, I would. I was under the impression the 2014 was a carry over from previous. I see now it looks like a new top deck and interior. I assume same running surface.

My apologies.

Supposedly the running surface has been modified as well in an effort to address some of the perceived finickiness of the prior yrs as well as hull tweaks for the NSS. I've not ridden but some reports of phenomenal surf waves, but who cares about surfing!!! Lol!
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       05-05-2014, 4:05 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicron View Post
Supposedly the running surface has been modified as well in an effort to address some of the perceived finickiness of the prior yrs as well as hull tweaks for the NSS. I've not ridden but some reports of phenomenal surf waves, but who cares about surfing!!! Lol!
Well there you go. OP, you need to demo both boats. Sounds like a tough decision.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       05-05-2014, 5:29 PM Reply   
I'm not familiar with the 230, but I have a 23 LSV and I love it. The wakesurf wave is the biggest I've ridden. No idea about the waterski wake. Let me know if you have any specific questions.
Old     (mbrando)      Join Date: May 2014       05-05-2014, 8:42 PM Reply   
thanks y'all! guess that settles it - I need to man up, brave the cold, and get out there behind them this weekend so that we can bite the bullet before Memorial Day weekend
Old     (F725)      Join Date: May 2010       05-06-2014, 3:45 AM Reply   
I wouldn't consider the Nautique 230 to be dated and at the end of its design cycle. The 2012-13 230's with NSS throw a killer surf wave. NSS allows for a lot of wave shaping adjustment. The G series will not replace the 230.

Malibu makes a great boat and so does Nautique. These two will hold their resale value much better than the Axis.

If the Nautique dealership knows how to set up the 230 with NSS, you will have a great test drive.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-06-2014, 4:51 AM Reply   
Nautique and Malibu both make great boats. If surfing is your main use for your boat, there are other options.If you want to ski, recreational skiing will be all you can do behind any 23' boat. I've surfed both longer and taller waves, but push is something you really can't see in a picture. That is why you should demo all the boats you plan to decide between.There are other options out there in a 23' boat that are awesome surf machines.Good luck with your search.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       05-06-2014, 5:12 AM Reply   
You say surfing is what you will do most. In my opinion you should look at other surf boats as well. There are many boats that surf way better than the ones you have listed. Malibu puts out a good wave with no surf gate and some lean but takes lots of weight. With the gate it is just OK. Take a look at these rider boat reviews at wake nine should give you some good insight http://wake9.com/polar-bear-2013/recap.php
Old     (LeeG23)      Join Date: Feb 2013       05-06-2014, 7:55 AM Reply   
I've owed both a 230 and lsv 23. Now have G23. So I can maybe have objective view of both. I had both boats prior to nss or surfgate. Both boats are great. Easy to adjust wakes/waves.

230: huge surf wave but requires a lot of weight. Literally the more the better. I like the wakeboard wake better but def can be finicky in regards to washout. Have to adjust people in boat more often

LSV: doesn't take nearly the weight to Make surf wake, seemed little mellower in regards to height of wave. Wakeboard wake def not as steep. Very good wake just different.
Old     (mbrando)      Join Date: May 2014       05-06-2014, 8:19 AM Reply   
surfing will definitely be my main use, but I want to make certain our purchase is versatile bc not everyone in my fam loves it as much as I do. I've had the most personal experience behind nautiques and mailbus, so I guess I'm a little partial to them.

Lee - does your g23 have nss? if so, I'd love to hear what you think of it. the reviews I've read say that the 2014 230 addressed the weight issue and that adjusting ppl isn't necessary anymore. in your experience, which was overall more friendly to all levels of riders? also, what do you think are the benefits of the g23 over the 230? would that model be overkill for someone not wanting mainly a wakeboard boat?
Old     (LeeG23)      Join Date: Feb 2013       05-06-2014, 8:34 AM Reply   
G23 has nss. It is absolutely amazing! Push one button and go. I love the wave and can adjust shape on the fly. G23 is the most easily shaped wake and wave of any boat I've been in. The wakeboard wake can b pro level with stock ballast, but also con b relatively mellow for beginners/int riders also. Wake is solid with no washout issues. The 230 wakeboard wake will still require u to shift human ballast around to keep it clean

The G23 is overkill for most of us on this board lol. But it's so fun to have every type/shape of wake/wave with a push of a button

If skiing is an interest for u I'd def say the lsv will b the best for that with the G being the absolute worst by far
Old     (F725)      Join Date: May 2010       05-06-2014, 1:56 PM Reply   
I've surfed a 230 without NSS and one with. The 230 without NSS threw a great wave, the 230 with NSS... One of the nicest waves I've ever ridden. Been behind most brands except Axis, MB and Sanger to name a few.

With NSS on the 230, you do not need to slam the boat with weight anymore... but it's still fun to do!

The Malibu also throws a great wave. Nothing beats testing the boats.
Old     (loudelectronics)      Join Date: Sep 2013       05-06-2014, 5:33 PM Reply   
Micah,

The boats you are looking at are very nice nice boats. I am more partial to the nautique side of your choice over the Malibu.

I set boats up all summer long for surfing and wakeboarding with our clinics. The only boat that I can think of that I have not got my hands on is a G23.

You really need to demo the boats to see what works best for you. From what I have ran into though is that the 230 will be easier to get a wake out of. The wake will also be a nice shape with better lip for surfing. You will find that the Malibu wake is very mellow with a very short lip. There is less useable length on the malibu compared to other boats. From my experience as well the Nautique will have less electrical problems as well.

Now you do talk about versatility. Versatility is something that is very important to me as well. As others have mentioned, you may want to open up your search a bit and be prepared to have your eyes opened. The boats you are looking at are great boats and make really good wakeboard wakes but are trumped by other boats when it comes to wakesurfing. Boats such as Tige Z3 (comparable to the 230 and LSV for luxury), MB, Supreme, Centurion and the new Supra SA or SC all make extremely good wakesurfing wakes. All there wakeboard wakes are very good as well. These boats just do not get the marketing thrown at them like the big three do and some of them are much cheaper which shows in the fit and finish. Now since you are looking at nautique and Malibu I would throw the Tige Z3 in the mix if you have a dealer any where close. The wakeboard wake is very good with a nice lip for kick at the top of the wake. I would say the 230 has an overall better shape but very close if you are not a pro. The biggest difference you will find is the surf wake. The Z3 with convex VX throws out a monster of a wake. The lip is very long, great transition and face of the wave is as long as the boat. I have yet to surf a wake that is longer and has as much useable lip for boosting airs as the z3 has. If you like to break out the slalom ski, all you need to do is put the TAPS plate down and the wake gets very small and skiable for such a large boat. As with all large boats though, even though the wake disapears, there is still a hard mass that needs to be absorbed by the knees.

I would look around. You will be impressed with whats out there. If you are buying for versatility and wake primarily than you might be surprised. Worst case is that you find out that the 230 or Bu is actually for you.
Old     (Khyber)      Join Date: Mar 2013       05-06-2014, 6:52 PM Reply   
PLEASE follow up once your decision is made with pics of the new boat!
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       05-07-2014, 9:05 AM Reply   
Loud, good wrote up but until tige comes out with their own version of NSS or surf gate I wouldn't even consider them if I was a recreational surfer. It sucks to have lean a boat over so much and ask someone such as your wife or buddy drive the boat like that.
Old     (LeeG23)      Join Date: Feb 2013       05-07-2014, 9:15 AM Reply   
i agree on the tige comment, the NSS and surf gate have changed what people expect.

also second looking at supra, never rode on but very impressed with them at boat show

my buddy has A22 w/o surf gate and it has very impressive wave and wave when loaded down!
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       05-07-2014, 10:00 AM Reply   
Hey Micah I just wanted to chime in on the 230 from a surf aspect. I have spend the last few years jumping between G's and 230's. The G series boat is hands the best wakeboard wake in the Correct Craft line up and has the most standard features as well. The masses seem to think it is also the flagship surf boat, but I have to disagree. While the 230 does not have the wakeboard wake capability of a G series boat, it blows the G out of the water from a surf perspective. The wave is longer, cleaner, and much easier to fine tune in my experience and opinion. The issue is the ballast capability. The 230 comes stock with roughly 1200lbs and the G series comes with 2850lbs. If you add the pro ballast system to the 230 making it over 2k of ballast and throw 6-8 people in the boat, this wave will exceed your expectations. The G series has been so popular I sometimes feel the 230 is overlooked especially when compared to surfing. Best advice would be to narrow down the boats you seriously want to consider, then go drive them. My only recommendation for demoing the 230 is make sure it has the pro ballast system, NSS, and take a few of your buddies with you, you'll be impressed with how big and clean that wave is.
Old     (loudelectronics)      Join Date: Sep 2013       05-07-2014, 3:35 PM Reply   
Ron,

I do not want to start a debate on the surf systems but this is what I have seen from all the ones I have tried and tuned boats with. Its a sensitive subject so I will try to tread lightly...

Surf systems like the NSS and Surf Gate are great concepts and do work to an extent. However, if you want the best surf wake out of any boat, lean is the only way to do that. Listing a boat always yields a better surf wake than a drifting boat from NSS or SG. The only boat that I know of that needs to be listed to an unsafe level is a Centurion. You get a great wake out of the centurion when sunk but it is at a severe angle. On the Tige, it does not take much list and it is hardly noticeable. The VX is discredited for some reason as a surf system. It is a great concept and is the only one that actually enhances the wake itself. The VX makes the wake longer and harder and provides more surfable area.

In the pics attached you can see how little list there actually is. Also note how little amount of people are in the boat. 50% of the surf side weight is in the opposite side for reference so very little list.

I find the most value in the NSS type systems for surf lessons and you want to switch on the fly for various footed riders. It is very convenient but the wake is sacrificed. I personally feel that it is more marketing than anything and once people by into it they expect it to be on all boats when it is really not needed for the best wake. Honestly all the other companies should be looking at ways to increase the quality of the wake through a system like the VX to give the rider more bang for the buck. It is so hard to ride another wake once you have ridden a properly set up VX wake. The length is amazing and the long crisp lip is so nice for boosting airs as you have such a long run at it. Plus the lip goes all the way to the roost where most other wakes the lip ends long before the roost.

My opinion totally and based on my findings from boat set ups I have done and spent countless hours on. I do challenge people to test different boats out.

I also spent a day out on the water last week with Austin Hairs Supra SA550. Many people complain about the surf wake on this boat but after a little messing around I was able to get a very solid surf wake out of it that I would be proud to have. Did not take much list at all, actually nearly flat and no swell system either. Considering the hull is nearly identical to a Tige hull (right down the convex V) it should throw out a very good wake.

I do believe many hard core surfers would agree that a listed boat is still better than and drifting boat. These systems are still in there infancy and many great things to come I am sure as they improve. The industry is just getting rolling and it is going to get really exciting in the coming years. I am positive that someday the drifting boats can be tuned to make a better wake than a listed boat but will be at the expense of a good wakeboard wake, the same as a good wakeboard hull sacrifices a good surf wake.
Attached Images

Last edited by loudelectronics; 05-07-2014 at 3:38 PM.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-07-2014, 7:18 PM Reply   
Most all surf competitions are pulled by listed boats.
Old     (F725)      Join Date: May 2010       05-07-2014, 7:29 PM Reply   
NSS is not just convenient for switching from side to side with a push of a button. The NSS has 5 positions to shape, lengthen and clean up the wave on either side. Very effective.
Old     (LeeG23)      Join Date: Feb 2013       05-08-2014, 6:20 AM Reply   
I've listed my G. It gets pretty big!
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-08-2014, 6:33 AM Reply   
A wave is caused by sinking the hull. A listed boat has the surf side of the hull deeper in the water. You then still have the plate and the people in your boat to adjust the size and the length of your wave. Not all boats have to be extremely listed to make a great wave. All anyone is saying is explore other options. If nothing else it will make you more confident and satisfied with your eventual decision. Good Luck.
Old     (whiteflashwatersports1)      Join Date: Dec 2012       05-08-2014, 7:38 AM Reply   
Both of these boats are awesome. I think the interior of the maibu is waaaay nicer. Seadek sucks. We had that on a searay and after a few summers in the sun its starts to peel at the corners. The deckadence flooring in the lsv I was in was awesome and you can pull out and hose off. Other than that I think they both look sweet, make great waves for surfing and great wakes.

Good luck and have fun!!
Old     (dejoeco)      Join Date: Apr 2003       05-09-2014, 5:54 AM Reply   
I do not come onto WW and bash other boats companies. I believe there are advantages to all the systems out there and it helps push the sport of wake surfing, GREAT. Sinking the hull in the water is something done by every boat system. The physics of constructing a wave is dependent on this happening. I am a proud Centurion owner and I do not list my boat to unsafe angles. Although listing is important to producing a great wave on my SV 233, sinking the whole boat is just as important to provide extra push required. I do NOT list my boat at unsafe levels, not required, in order to produce a pro level surf wake. People should refrain from lumping people and boats together. Tout the advantages of your boat and system without bashing others. Be Happy!

On a separate note. In past yearts, many if not most of the competitions were behind Centurions. That has changed, especially this year. Most, maybe all, of the manufacturers have joined the surfing bandwagon initially started by Centurion. There are event pulled by MasterCraft, Malibu, Supra, & Nautique & Supreme ( and yes Supreme is owned by Fineline/Centurion). Tige has their own Endlass Wave Tour. Centurion and Nautique each do 3 events.

Encourage competition to make things better not bitter.
Old     (wakebdr2002)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-09-2014, 6:22 AM Reply   
How are the prices? You should be able to get the lsv for 10-15k less than the 230. That being said, The 2014 230 is an awesome boat with a great wakeboard and surf wake. I recently bought a G23 but I tested the Supra SC, Supra SA, Malibu LSV23, 230, and g23. Wakeboard wake was the most important thing to me and I would put the LSV 23 at the bottom of that list as far as wakeboard wake. It's not a bad wake, just too mellow for my liking. Good luck on your decision you can't go wrong on either boat.

Last edited by wakebdr2002; 05-09-2014 at 6:27 AM.
Old     (CarFanatic5)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-09-2014, 12:04 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by loudelectronics View Post
Ron,

I do not want to start a debate on the surf systems but this is what I have seen from all the ones I have tried and tuned boats with. Its a sensitive subject so I will try to tread lightly...

Surf systems like the NSS and Surf Gate are great concepts and do work to an extent. However, if you want the best surf wake out of any boat, lean is the only way to do that. Listing a boat always yields a better surf wake than a drifting boat from NSS or SG. The only boat that I know of that needs to be listed to an unsafe level is a Centurion. You get a great wake out of the centurion when sunk but it is at a severe angle. On the Tige, it does not take much list and it is hardly noticeable. The VX is discredited for some reason as a surf system. It is a great concept and is the only one that actually enhances the wake itself. The VX makes the wake longer and harder and provides more surfable area.

In the pics attached you can see how little list there actually is. Also note how little amount of people are in the boat. 50% of the surf side weight is in the opposite side for reference so very little list.

I find the most value in the NSS type systems for surf lessons and you want to switch on the fly for various footed riders. It is very convenient but the wake is sacrificed. I personally feel that it is more marketing than anything and once people by into it they expect it to be on all boats when it is really not needed for the best wake. Honestly all the other companies should be looking at ways to increase the quality of the wake through a system like the VX to give the rider more bang for the buck. It is so hard to ride another wake once you have ridden a properly set up VX wake. The length is amazing and the long crisp lip is so nice for boosting airs as you have such a long run at it. Plus the lip goes all the way to the roost where most other wakes the lip ends long before the roost.

My opinion totally and based on my findings from boat set ups I have done and spent countless hours on. I do challenge people to test different boats out.

I also spent a day out on the water last week with Austin Hairs Supra SA550. Many people complain about the surf wake on this boat but after a little messing around I was able to get a very solid surf wake out of it that I would be proud to have. Did not take much list at all, actually nearly flat and no swell system either. Considering the hull is nearly identical to a Tige hull (right down the convex V) it should throw out a very good wake.

I do believe many hard core surfers would agree that a listed boat is still better than and drifting boat. These systems are still in there infancy and many great things to come I am sure as they improve. The industry is just getting rolling and it is going to get really exciting in the coming years. I am positive that someday the drifting boats can be tuned to make a better wake than a listed boat but will be at the expense of a good wakeboard wake, the same as a good wakeboard hull sacrifices a good surf wake.

Tristan, whats your set up for goofy wake? Same 50% off set on other side?
Old     (mbrando)      Join Date: May 2014       05-10-2014, 6:51 PM Reply   
Kevin - we're looking at loading out whatever we get and there's about a 20k difference between the lsv and Malibu. the Malibu dealer is the local dealer and we have friends in common and friends that have purchased from him recently. I don't know if that much of a difference is typical, or if he can just cut us that much of a better deal, given the circumstances. we're making our final decision early next week, so I'll keep y'all updated and post pics. Right now, we're leaning towards the lsv just bc we can buy local and he can save us quite a bit, but who knows - that may change when we demo the 230 (: if we're already spending that much, we want to make sure we buy what we love!
Old     (mbrando)      Join Date: May 2014       05-10-2014, 7:05 PM Reply   
Oops - Lsv and 230! Haha
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       05-11-2014, 6:56 AM Reply   
Quote:
Oops - Lsv and 230! Haha

Without ever demoing a 230 yet I doubt you have gotten a real quote. Be up front with the Nautique dealer letting them know you have a written offer for a LSV and you might be surprised at the deal you can also get on the 230.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-12-2014, 10:21 AM Reply   
Just a note about the Centurion unsafe list comment by loud electronics. First, nice wave on that Z3, looks familiar ;-).

1. I have seen centurions (assuming you are referring to Enzo 230, 233, 240,244) that are making a good wave without much list, and I have seen some listed hard. Usually those that like a steeper wake seem to list over harder, but not everyone weights their boat that way.

2. We surf regularly with folks and different boats like the V226, and the folks that purchased our 24Ve from us. Those boats require a good deal of list for a great wake, like 15-20 degrees. That is a lot, and not for everyone, but in good conditions I don't think it is necessarily unsafe. I think it can be uncomfortable, must not unsafe as a rule.

I would agree that a boat listed significantly more than another can feel more unsafe, but I think the true test of safety has more to do with how easy water will come over the side if you get some good rollers. I def prefer less list, but I would say its more of a preference issue. Lets add this, I let my kids surf in the supreme, the 226, Dan's old bu 23lsv, and Derek's B52 23 which all required a good deal of list. Even Jesse goes on those boats without me.

It depends on the driver, conditions, etc, etc.
Old     (loudelectronics)      Join Date: Sep 2013       05-12-2014, 11:45 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarFanatic5 View Post
Tristan, whats your set up for goofy wake? Same 50% off set on other side?
Brendan, we do not surf the goofy side much but I typically weight the same. I find I just have to adjust the TAPS and speed a bit different.
Old     (CarFanatic5)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-12-2014, 12:24 PM Reply   
cool thanks man!
Old     (mbrando)      Join Date: May 2014       05-23-2014, 1:29 PM Reply   
we went with the 23 lsv and I'm in love! when all was said and done, we could've actually saved by going with the nautique, but we ended up liking the malibu more and deciding that buying local was
the best for us. thanks for the help y'all (:
Attached Images

Old     (mbrando)      Join Date: May 2014       05-23-2014, 1:35 PM Reply   
can't figure out how to upload multiple pics at once /:
Attached Images

Old     (mbrando)      Join Date: May 2014       05-23-2014, 1:37 PM Reply   
Attached Images

Old     (mbrando)      Join Date: May 2014       05-23-2014, 1:41 PM Reply   
Attached Images

Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-24-2014, 7:00 AM Reply   
Congratulations on your new boat. Just in time for Memorial Day weekend! Enjoy your new ride.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       05-28-2014, 4:06 PM Reply   
Wow, I like that bimini. I need to get some midnight blue on my bimini!!

Name:  IMG_4613.jpg
Views: 12003
Size:  67.6 KB
Old     (mbrando)      Join Date: May 2014       05-28-2014, 9:01 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeworld View Post
Wow, I like that bimini. I need to get some midnight blue on my bimini!!

Attachment 35813
thanks! i really like the bimini, too, and it makes her easier to see in a crowd love that midnight blue and white...looks great in the water!
Old     (JPCoderre)      Join Date: Aug 2014       10-14-2014, 7:27 AM Reply   
The pros have spoken!!!!

2014 Wakeboard boat of the year:
http://www.wakeworld.com/news/featur...s.html?page=17

2014 Wakesurf boat of the year:
http://www.wakeworld.com/news/featur...s.html?page=18
Old     (derek_h)      Join Date: Oct 2004       10-14-2014, 8:53 AM Reply   
Both the 230 and the LSV are really nice boats. If you have a chance like most people have said demo! I was in the market for one of the big three this past spring and ended up with an 07 Nautique and could not be happier. What was interesting to me is that my mechanic (not a dealer as I do not have any dealers close by) told me that he much preferred working on my Nautique more then some of the newer Mastercrafts and Malibu's. Told me they are much more thought out, better built, and easier to work on. Just thought it was interesting as he has know ties to any manufacture. I don't think you could go wrong with either choice though.
Old     (derek_h)      Join Date: Oct 2004       10-14-2014, 8:55 AM Reply   
Just realized you already bought the Malibu. Should have read the whole post. Congrats! Gorgeous boat!
Old     (OneCent)      Join Date: Jul 2010       10-25-2014, 8:42 AM Reply   
:-) - but now we want that you share your experience with the new boat ;-) - or am i the only one who wants to know more about it?
Old     (MCObray)      Join Date: Mar 2013       10-27-2014, 12:40 PM Reply   
Hope your enjoy your 23 LSV. I know I have been!
23 LSV. Wakesurf. by Bucky Images, on Flickr
Old     (Pinkston)      Join Date: Jul 2014       12-31-2014, 9:22 AM Reply   
What did you pay for the 23 LSV? If you don't mind me asking.

Looks like the 15s are 120k
Old     (granddaddy53)      Join Date: Dec 2013       01-10-2015, 6:30 AM Reply   
I am the proud owner of a 2014 axis a 20(don't need bigger boat if you have board racks and smaller boat sinks/ballast lower easier than bigger boats and added board racks from Texas Malibu later at much lower costs than adding them and you want the black vinyl coated to match black tower and don't waste money on spinners) that i negotiated real hard for(look at end of message for financial details). I have surfgate and naturally autowedge and a heater and a few other items i will detail at the end. I have two straightline 750's and a 900(call me for story on 900 sack from straightline) sacks all in the lockers with plug and play system(a little tough to get all properly installed and still struggling a little with that configuration but it works great). I have a freaky surf wave on the right side(right hand turning prop therefore bigger wave) from trough near deck to peak approximately 3' or 3'6". It is adequate on the left side but not as pushy but still very good. I learned right foot forward and all 4 ways(heals and toes) of surfing to be able to use the wake on both sides as i was natural left foot forward therefore natural to the left side but with surfing right foot forward is easy. I have great fuel economy during surfing, and the boat when the pumps are turned off before you get ini the water even gives a great/small water ski wake(not so much if your used to your outboard soft wake but good enough for the average skiir) You may not be able to match my deal but there isno reason to spend all the extra money and the basic white and black pacakge with the black decal is very attractive.
save the money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! no reason to pay extra for the same effect. the wakeboard wake is great and quite frankly scares the hell out of me when i fill everything, therefore i time the filling of tanks before i installed sacks so I could just fill the standard ballast tanks for wakeboarding and the wedge for enough wave for me the average wakeboarder.

I have surfgate, auto wedge, snap in carpet(do not order this), bimini top(sometimes a problem on a windy day as it makes the boat nose bounce when we do not have enough weight in the front when wakeboarding with the wedge down), heater, plug and play, transom flush(we are in brackish water), i have the basic stereo package(good enough for me and you can hear it just fine when surfing) obviously not what the youngsters want and can't hear it when boarding. bluetooth(though i would need this but disconnects everytime you turn off motor so don't order- use direct plug usb instead - much better), and don't forget to order cleats(didnt realize a fiberglass boat would come with out them and figured it out just in time while still in manufacturing and made dealer add them at his cost for not informing me that was an option - everything is an option with axis so don't assume anything except that it comes with the tower)

i may be misssing one thing or another but my price was 49000 plus 5000 for a galvanized painted tandem axle trailer(i trail every day and to brackish water). I had a 1000 incentive but i doubt seriously you will get this price as i was a real prick in my negotiations. I sent them a certified 10000 check and a list alot longer than above to dealer before going on my vacation to snowboard. I called them to check on the deal and the gm said forget it, so i said send me my check back. salesman called me with the list above since he knew these were my key items from meeting me earlier and we had a deal for 53000 with out the heater and plug and play, and then we settled on the 54000 for the heater and plug and play and 1 more thing(i forget what it was) call me at 504 430 2563 for details i can maybe look up. Speaking to people around the country about my deal, I am told i have at least a 65000 dollar deal and up to 75000. this is still a huge savings from the upper end boats and this is basically a malibu, and i like my plastic black rub rail as that is used alot when it hits the trailer and centers up. If you need the galvanized tandem trailer, research the cost of the saltwater package 1st as it comes with the same trailer and I wish i would have done that so that i would have a boat i could have brougtht on beach vacations. By the time i added sacks, surfboards, 4 racks including a surf only rack for fat surfboards and a tower mounted mirror including mount and mirror and mirror to mount mounting attachment (all tower accessories were purchased from texasmalibu because they had spares from upgraded axis boats( and you need axis parts because the tower is so fat and configured in such a way that only axis parts will work)and safety gear and big boat bumpers i was at 64000 to 64500 including 7% sales tax title and license. Call me David posey 504 430 2563 and i will share and share all the way through your process as i want you to have the economical surf wave that i have
Old     (granddaddy53)      Join Date: Dec 2013       01-10-2015, 6:32 AM Reply   
sorry for the idiot post as i didn't see the dates, but i really think the axis as the best price point boat on the market
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       01-11-2015, 8:43 AM Reply   
Lsv
Old     (viking)      Join Date: Sep 2009       01-11-2015, 3:13 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by granddaddy53 View Post
sorry for the idiot post as i didn't see the dates, but i really think the axis as the best price point boat on the market
Everybody is entitled to their own opinion!!
Old     (superfeet)      Join Date: Feb 2015       02-01-2015, 1:21 PM Reply   
The ZR6 Fully loaded by WakeCraft since 1969 , David still build and behind Malibu design too ...

And the wake size below ...

www.wakecraftboats.com

Quote:
I'm new to the site and would love some help! My husband and I are going to be making our first boat purchase very soon and I'm not certain what the best boat for us is - even after hours on this site and reading countless reviews. I love wakesurfing (not a pro by any means), so that it what I will mainly use the boat for. I do like to wakeboard, and so do my friends. My friends are much more advanced than I am, so unless the wake is awful, it's really not a huge concern for me. Also, I come from a family of expert level skiers (don't judge ) and still love to break out my slalom on occasion, so when we have the fam with us, there will be skiing.

We've narrowed it down to a 2014 Nautique 230 or Malibu 23 LSV and need help deciding. The Malibu dealer also really hyped up the Axis, so that has added to my confusion! Should I consider saving some coin and going with an axis? Our local dealer only sells malibu, but is adding axis next summer, so we'd have to buy an axis at a dealer about 1.5 hours away (local dealer is 20 mins from home) - same with Nautique. My sister has a 2013 malibu 24 lsv and I'm familiar with mailbus, but I love the look of the new nautiques - don't want to base this kind of a decision solely on aesthetics, though. Please help!

Thanks in advance!
Old     (chriscno)      Join Date: Sep 2011       02-23-2015, 9:23 PM Reply   
Good decision on the LSV and nice looking boat.
Old     (ArrowheadBoatSales)      Join Date: Oct 2013       02-24-2015, 6:55 AM Reply   
Great Boat!

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

Congrats on your purchase.