Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-26-2010, 10:12 AM Reply   
Everyones favorite krunk drink is underfire. Its getting banned at colleges across the country after it was deamed that Four Loko was the culprit for several hospitalizations of students at an off campus party at Central Wasington University. Is it getting a bad rap here?

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/cam..._students.html

Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-26-2010, 10:43 AM Reply   
Maybe I should be pleased that I had no idea what Four Loko was before clicking on this thread.....
Old     (lfadam)      Join Date: Nov 2008       10-26-2010, 11:16 AM Reply   
Very popular in college. Joose/4 lokos...perfect pregame drink as 1 will get you a good buzz, but I stopped drinking them because apparently the combo of energy drink+alcohol can really mess up your heart. (Energy drink raises heart rate, alcohol slows it down or something). Good and cheap though
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-26-2010, 11:20 AM Reply   
The **** will mess you up....
like two weeks ago used it to mix with hard liquor instead of normal mixers.... wowza mistake

I love how the dangers of dehydration and blackouts are made to sound exclusive to this drink.
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       10-26-2010, 11:33 AM Reply   
The name just sounds like a mexican drink. "Pinché four loco vato"!
Old     (mjfan23)      Join Date: Nov 2003       10-26-2010, 2:19 PM Reply   
This is dumb. Basically people need to kno there limits. Four Loko will mess you up real quick if your a clown.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-26-2010, 2:55 PM Reply   
Like E.J., I had never heard of this stuff before it made the news this morning. I guess I'm just getting old. I see little point in getting drunk and staying awake these days. I like to drink and pass out. Ha, ha, ha.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-26-2010, 4:04 PM Reply   
HAHAHAH good one!

I've had these or Joose a time here and there. I had three FL's one night and I was drunk sure but not to bad. I will say its a weird drunk with the combo of all the caffeine. Its kinda become a joke because we were doing some weed clean up on my vacation house. We were working on a Juniper patch thats riddled with sticker bushes. I decided to grab the weed burner and go to town igniting the under brush!!! We got lucky and managed to extinguish it but not before the fire department was called and the town sirens were blaring. Damn Four Loko!
Old     (hco)      Join Date: Jun 2006       10-26-2010, 6:24 PM Reply   
In the end the responsibility is on the user/consumer, because you can do it on any other kind of booze as well. Not their fault that they make a 6 pack worth of booze for 2$~ taste like some terrible kool-aid. It is definitely a crazy drink though, I doubt anyone has dabbled with four loko and not blacked out aggressively sometime.
Old     (lfadam)      Join Date: Nov 2008       10-26-2010, 7:23 PM Reply   
HatenPain, if you can put down 3 4lokos in a night and not be that bad, you are a tank. For a normal human being, 1=good buzz (or an ideal drunk for an average girl), 2=pretty smashed for a guy (blackout/unconscious for girl), and 3=unconscious/in the hospital for a guy (dead for a girl).

I guess it depends on whether you start drinking your first at 7 or at 10. My rating system is more for starting at 10, finishing by 2 or so)

But yeah, thats silly to ban the stuff. I think its silly to ban everclear in some states (here) even though I hate the stuff and its messed me up before. Its called personal responsibility.
Old     (alindquist)      Join Date: Mar 2004       10-26-2010, 7:28 PM Reply   
I had never herd of it either, but I know what I'm drinking this weekend!!!
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-27-2010, 6:00 AM Reply   
I'm so glad government has gotten involved. We'll all be better off if we just let them make our decisions for us.
Old     (fatsac)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-27-2010, 8:08 AM Reply   
I won't drink RedBull and vodka for the same reason. Strung the hell out on caffeine with a weird buzz, can't sleep, dehydated...good times!
Old     (bmcgee)      Join Date: Nov 2007       10-27-2010, 8:56 AM Reply   
I think the problem is that you can drink them quick. I had one last weekend and was able to finish it in about 30 minutes just casually drinking it; definitely didn't pound it, but that is still equivalent to 6 light beers. Lets say you drink 3 of them back to back, over about a 2 hour period.. that's 18 light beers in 2 hours, i wouldn't consider myself a light weight and I am far from a tank.. but 18 beers in 2 hours would put me in the rarest of rare forms.
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       10-27-2010, 9:52 AM Reply   
Many years ago I went on a Redbull and Vodka Binge while in South Beach Florida.
Caused Permanent damage to my body and brain. Was a great weekend, but in no way worth it. The **** is dangerous when consumed in larger quantities.

Last edited by colorider; 10-27-2010 at 9:54 AM. Reason: content
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-27-2010, 9:53 AM Reply   
Yeah 3 FL's is nearly the equivalent of 6 BL's. If I had 18 BL's I'd be F'd for sure so it must have been the caffeine in them. I didn't quite drink them back to back but for sure in a 2 hour period, which again that many beers in the same period would kick my ass. With those I was still able to fight a fire crazy!

I've done plenty of Vodka/Redbulls and the like and the effect's are very different.
Old     (wakeboardertj)      Join Date: May 2005       10-27-2010, 10:47 AM Reply   
I completely underestimated the 12% four loko last weekend on top of the 1/5 of C-Mo. The blue one tastes like blue slurpy, even on the way back up

Its a good pregame drink for sure
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-27-2010, 10:54 AM Reply   
I once had 3-1/2 of those things in a night... boy was that not a good idea. I didn't black out, but I had a ridiculous argument about being a fairweather fan or something... Got up at 9 and went to my 9:30 AM class still somewhat drunk. I stopped drinking those things at the end of last school year because they have a tendency to make me an angry drunk. Any kind of caffeine stresses me out, and then add in being drunk, it just exacerbates it.

Other than that though, they're disgusting tasting, but great for college binge drinking, bahahahaha.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-27-2010, 11:05 AM Reply   
A couple lines of blow and a double shot of tequila is a much better alternative.

Kidding. Honestly a upper/downer binge just never seemed like that good of an idea to me. That said, there was one Spring Ride when I probably had 30 Red Bull and Vodkas over a 24 hour period. It took me a week to get right after that party.
Old     (jason95gt)      Join Date: May 2006       10-27-2010, 12:08 PM Reply   
If they ban this stuff then I guess they have to ban vodka and redbull! On the local news here they state that this drink is the equivalent of 6 beers. Please help me with my math. Four loko is 12% alcohol by volume and a miller lite is ~4% by volume so how is this 6 drinks? Is by volume different than I am thinking it is?
Old     (wakeboardertj)      Join Date: May 2005       10-27-2010, 12:24 PM Reply   
Four Loko - 12 %
Beer - ~4%

3x the percentage

24 oz, double the size of a beer.

so twice the size of a beer, and 3x the percentage. = 6 beers?

Last edited by wakeboardertj; 10-27-2010 at 12:28 PM.
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-27-2010, 4:17 PM Reply   
We did the math based on pure alcohol content, and it comes out to about 5 shots of liquor. Not so sure about six beers, that seems a little steep. That stuff has never messed me up as much as 18 beers will/has.
Old     (aces6692)      Join Date: Nov 2006       10-27-2010, 4:56 PM Reply   
the only night i ever drank one of those, i already had probably 10-12 beers in me and 2 shots, a guy just told me to have one and they tasted great, i was already wasted to the point i didnt need any thing else for the rest of the night, but that thing just put me over the edge, puked all night, and was dieing at work the next day hahaha, its my own fault tho, either way, i will NEVER drink one again. they are HORRIBLE!!!!!
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-27-2010, 6:46 PM Reply   
You know you're drunk when you think FL's taste good. They're like a decent flavored cough syrup.
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-28-2010, 8:21 AM Reply   
Hate, correction... You know you're HAMMERED when those things taste good. Dang...
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       10-28-2010, 8:41 AM Reply   
"The blue one tastes like blue slurpy, even on the way back up "

LMFAO.
Old     (kruiserkat)      Join Date: May 2010       10-28-2010, 8:47 AM Reply   
I hear they beer bong those in Texas.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-28-2010, 2:03 PM Reply   
...and then promptly schit and puke all over themselves.
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-28-2010, 3:39 PM Reply   
This is one of the better threads of the year. I bet our friend Lon has Four Loko falling out of his X-80.
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-28-2010, 4:02 PM Reply   
Once tried to bong half a four loko. Had one gulp, closed the valve on the bong. and walked away. Disgustingly TERRIBLEthing to do.
Old     (fatsac)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-29-2010, 7:31 AM Reply   
I still have a scar on my hand from a Redbull vodka binge in college. I'd like to say that was the last time I had one. I'd like to say that was last time I blacked out and ran around with my shirt off.
There's a lot of things I'd like to say! LOL

Tough to know your boundary with something as strong as four loko. Never had one. Don't want to try it.
Old     (lfadam)      Join Date: Nov 2008       10-29-2010, 2:27 PM Reply   
Not a 4, but Joose is very similar, more caffeine less alcohol (think 4loko=4 cups of coffee, 6 drinks; joose is 5 and 5 or somethin). Impressive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtkmFU1isGE
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-29-2010, 3:34 PM Reply   
Only have a couple once in a while but a good drink is:

Redbull
Crown Royal or other Rye Whiskey
Some Cranberry Juice and maybe a bit of Sprite.

Like a Broken down golf cart shot only better and a good way to start your night off. Only have 1 or 2 then move on to your other bevies.