Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Girls Who Ride

Old     (vdubb)      Join Date: Mar 2006       09-03-2006, 12:36 PM Reply   
Hi Ladies... I have been having trouble getting my w2w down, but I no problem doing an inside out and landing way way way out in the flats . I have watched "The Book" DVD that addresses this like a million times. When taking a heel side approach, I only seem to get to the beginning of the far wake. I was wondering how long it took most girls to get it down?? The season is ending quickly where I live, and I really want to accomplish this before the lake freezes..ha-ha. Please share any tips you have. Thanks
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       09-03-2006, 11:35 PM Reply   
Im a guy been riding for 2 summers and I still have trouble but am getting better
Old     (criswb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-04-2006, 6:18 AM Reply   
It took me about 7 months to get it... so dont get frustrated. Your probably not edging all the way through, or you're not edging fast enough so that you can get to the other side. There was another thread on this forum where you can find lots of advice on this subject. Hope you land it before the season ends!

p.s. also try the trick tips section!
Old     (kylielogan)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-04-2006, 10:13 AM Reply   
Jess - I've been trying all summer and have only landed it twice, but am doing a lot of casing the other wake. Don't give up!
Old     (wakechic06)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-04-2006, 10:51 AM Reply   
It took me a good year or longer. Once i actually got behind a wakeboard boat, I got it before the summer was over last year. When you cutting in remember when you get to the wake, don't obsorb everything in your knees. My friend does that. It looks like shes cutting realy hard and that she could easily clear the wake but she obsorbes it all and doesnt get very high. But just get your edging down right and you'll have it in no time!

Good Luck!

Jamie
Old     (vdubb)      Join Date: Mar 2006       09-05-2006, 4:15 PM Reply   
Thanks everyone. I checked out the other thread. All good advice. I went out today and was able to land on top of the far wake...which was suprising...but not a lot of height. I'm guessing the wake size behind my boat (which isn't a wake boat) might have something to do with it. (Note to self: Ask Santa to stuff a Super Air Nautique in my stocking this year) I was thinking this was something I should have done in like a day or two..good for the ego to know it's supposed to take awhile. Oh, hey, umm....what is "casing the wake"?
Old     (bfa)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-05-2006, 8:21 PM Reply   
If you can, take a lesson. I was clearing the wake half the time, than I took a lesson and am not having any more problems. I was told all the same things, watched the videos but having someone watch you and give a couple of hints at a time really helps. Sometimes you try and think about too much at one time.

Couple hints they gave me, don't do a ski turn (cut real hard at the start and let off before you hit the wake)
Keep hands by hips, chest up,head up
Don't look down or you will go down,
Old     (midwesty)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-06-2006, 7:25 AM Reply   
by telling someone that cant clear the wake to "let off before the wake " is only going to cause them to not clear it

edge thru it,stand tall, elbows in, handle in(you can use this for stability) and butt in
Old     (wakinali)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-06-2006, 8:11 AM Reply   
It depends on how you are cutting, but sometimes starting your cut way outside the wake can help you with the momentum to cross wake/2/wake, just be sure not to let up on your cut when you get close to the wake (cut through the wake, and stick your front foot right in that wake). Just go for it, it's only water, it doesn't hurt that bad. Keep going for it, you'll get it!!
Old     (a1flowergirl)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-07-2006, 7:30 PM Reply   
Jess -- I've found that wake size doesn't have a lot to do with it. My w2w is still inconsistent regardless of whether I'm riding behind a MC X2 or a ski boat with a smaller wake. Sometimes I can clear the wake and sometimes I can't. Just keep at it -- at some point, it will all come together for you. I also found that when I was getting frustrated with it I would forget about it and work on a new trick to clear my head and go back to it the next time I went out.
Old     (vdubb)      Join Date: Mar 2006       09-07-2006, 7:58 PM Reply   
Thanks everyone for the great tips. Can someone tell me what "casing the wake" means????
Old     (criswb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-07-2006, 9:09 PM Reply   
when you "case the wake" is when you land on top of the second wake.. its like the worst place to land!!! and usually is followed by a terrible fall (always sideways for me and hurts for about 4 days!)
Old     (wakechick418)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-18-2006, 9:05 AM Reply   
I'VE BEEN RIDIN FOR ABOUT 5 YRS. IT TOOK ME 2 SEASONS TO GET CONSISTENT WITH MY HEAL AND TOE SIDE WAKE TO WAKE. JUST KEEP RIDIN! JUST GOT AN X STAR LST SUMMER.....HELPS ME OUT ALOT!!!
Old     (escapade4k)      Join Date: May 2006       09-26-2006, 3:49 PM Reply   
Thanks girls! Also working on w2w. Just started boarding this summer, but I've been out a bunch. I keep hearing that I'm super close. What I'm doing now is comparing approach pics from people who can clear, with mine. I've noticed a lot of differences. I'm thinking that not looking down is the thing I keep forgetting. I need to look out...not down. Good luck Jess! I hope we both make it before the season is over.
Old     (fergie23)      Join Date: Sep 2004       09-28-2006, 1:26 PM Reply   
Once you learned HS W2W, how much longer did it take to get TS W2W down?
Old     (wakegrl2109)      Join Date: Jul 2004       10-02-2006, 8:12 PM Reply   
What I like to tell people when learning is to not edge in to hard but at a decent speed, keep the handle at your hips, and ride "up the wake". If you cut to hard through it then there is no point in even havin the wake there, you will just shoot through it. Use it as a ramp.

After you learn hs it takes about a season to get ts. It is quite a bit trickier to keep your balance and find the right speed
Old                10-05-2006, 11:45 PM Reply   
Took me an entire season of casing to get it.

I am told I have a very well formed w2w with quite a bit of pop. This is my process:

As I cut out toeside I count 1,2,3,4 like beats to a song, and I turn back in toward the wake, allow .5 to 1 count for the line tension to built, 1.5 - 2 sit down in a chair 3-4 start digging your heels in as if you are having a tug of war with the boat and the wake will launch you.

While you cutting look out toward the shore at about a 45-60 degree angle. Squint at the sun - it will make you smile and looks cooler on film.

In the air it is VERY important to push the handle down toward your knees. Adding in a tuck here sets you up for grabs later, and makes your jumps look higher. In my experience, most falls are caused by letting the handle out in the air.

Overall tip: Bend your knees a lot when you ride and move from the hips to add style. You could just carve all day and still look cool.
Old     (theresa)      Join Date: Dec 2005       10-06-2006, 6:43 AM Reply   
When I first started learning w2w...my husband made me ride all the way out. Once I got to the point of jumping one wake and getting closer to the 2nd wake...he brought me all the way in and I was able to clear the wake.
Old     (escapade4k)      Join Date: May 2006       10-14-2006, 3:24 PM Reply   
Theresa-
I've never thought to do that... what a great idea! Most people just want to shorten the rope for you, putting you right in the wash.
Niki-
I like how you described it. Thanks for the handle tip!
Old     (wakeboarddad01)      Join Date: Dec 2003       10-23-2006, 1:42 PM Reply   
Don't give up.... Keep trying you will get it....Upload
Old                11-17-2006, 9:26 PM Reply   
I agree with Nicole C. (wakegrl2109) :What I like to tell people when learning is to not edge in to hard but at a decent speed, keep the handle at your hips, and ride "up the wake". If you cut to hard through it then there is no point in even havin the wake there, you will just shoot through it. Use it as a ramp. (ONLY GO ABOUT 5 FT. FROM THE WAKE... NO MORE!LESS SPEED, MORE DISTANCE AND POP!)
I learned this at a wakeboard camp this summer.

Um to get w2w when i decided to try it it took me about a month, after i went to camp they helped me out and instead of shooting across i now get more height and use less energy that took me about 30 minutes or so.
Old     (xtremebordgurl)      Join Date: Dec 2002       11-20-2006, 3:17 PM Reply   
Wow! I feel like a slacker! Been wakeboarding since 2001, 5 yrs :-( and I STILL don't have w2w! Can I use the fact that 3 of the 5 yrs were behind a zodiac as an excuse? hehehe. We just got a malibu this past summer so hopefully I can nail down the w2w this summer. I think for me it is more of a mental thing. Any mental tricks out there?
Old     (midwesty)      Join Date: Aug 2003       11-27-2006, 7:57 AM Reply   
nut up!
Old     (kylielogan)      Join Date: Apr 2006       11-27-2006, 11:53 AM Reply   
bess - i think your excuse is a good one and you should stick with it. i use the excuse that i rode switch (for me - left foot forward - just how i was taught) the first 2 years, so i think technically i've only been riding correctly this past season, so that gives me a bye! but i think next summer i'll give wendy and jonny's suggestions a try: nut up (i mean, i wear guy's boardshorts, might as well make use of them right?), cut out a little and then bang it back in!
Old     (wakeboardnchica)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-29-2006, 10:47 AM Reply   
i've been riding for 2 summers and have only landed it once. I case the wake a lot.

just cut out toeside and let the slack get out of the line. then start a progressive edge [start slow and build up speed] into the wake. edge all the way up the wake. When u do this make sure you have a lot of knee bend and that and pushing down on the handle at the peak of your jump will give you more air. the farther out u cut the farther u should go across.
Old     (elmo)      Join Date: Dec 2006       12-08-2006, 7:01 AM Reply   
is there anything you should do with your feet when your in the air? I keep eating it.
Old     (mrslawton)      Join Date: Dec 2006       12-11-2006, 8:34 AM Reply   
It took me forever to get W2W consistent! It might not work for everyone, but the best advice I got was to not break at the waist. Once I started thinking to "sit on a bench" when I approached the wake and combined a progressive edge with keeping the handle in, I could do it. After that, you just have to work on standing up more to get height. If you're landing too forward, it's probably because you need to pull the handle to your waist more. It helps to really exaggerate everything. Much of the time, I thought I was doing it right, but I really wasn't doing as much as a should.

Hope that helps! good luck!
Old     (melanie)      Join Date: Apr 2001       12-11-2006, 10:11 AM Reply   
Bess! I have a mental trick for ya.
This has actually worked for a few of my girly friends; As you are about to hit the wake on your cut in, yell really loud! At the top of your lungs. Yell anything. Make sure everyone on the boat can hear your rage. This will help you to be aggresive and also it will make you forget to let go on the landing.
Try it. Just once.