Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Collegiate Wakesports

Old     (jmuwake)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-16-2008, 7:19 AM Reply   
Riders needed to start new Wake Club at JMU, VA. Any information on starting a club and getting funding/sponsored/a boat would be much appreciated. Any schools in the area want to get to together for a wakeboard social/competition??? Any information is appreciated.
Old     (adamsilcio)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-04-2008, 9:44 AM Reply   
this is a post i made about the SJSU wake club that is getting started. i started my wakeboard club here at LSU about three semesters ago and it's been productive as long as you stay hard nosed and on time about getting things done...

they might be a little more enthusiastic about wakeboarding at SJSU than they are at LSU, but word of advice... it'll be tough getting money from the school so you'll have to show some initiative and raise money on your own, whether it be throwing an event or collecting dues from members. next thing is either using a wakeboard school for pulls or finding riders who will volunteer their boats.

what we do is we charge like $30-$40 a semester and then have riders pay for their own gas when they go out to ride. in case people can never make it out to ride we do however put on events for them to attend like free rides at the local wakeboard camp, video premiers, parties, road trips. it's worked out so far and after we put in the work to build our club up... THEN outside sponsors and the college started to pay attention.

also, the avid riders will separate themselves from the people that just want to be in the club cause it's 'the cool thing.' and you'll know who wants to be here and who doesn't. manage your time and think of ideas that will accommodate the majority because you can't make everyone happy, but you can do a damn good job of satisfying the ones who are gonna help and who actually matter. good luck and i hope everything works out for you dude. and remember to be customer friendly!
Old     (jeffcanary62)      Join Date: Apr 2003       08-05-2008, 8:11 PM Reply   
hey man give me a call sometime next week, we can set something up with the VTclub. I am terrible at responding to emails sorry about that.

Jeff G