Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-07-2016, 9:17 PM Reply   
Fun start!

USA women's soccer roll. Women's gymnastics look good. Feel so bad for Annemiek van Vlueten's wreck, pleased to hear it wasn't worse. Mara Abbott worked so hard, tough not to see her on the podium.

The men's 4x100 free was awesome for the USA men tonight. Good God if Michael Phelps isn't a fish.

Funny how I'll watch this chit during these times.
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       08-08-2016, 3:29 AM Reply   
Ledecky's a beast too
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-08-2016, 10:33 AM Reply   
The opening ceremonies seemed to drag on forever. Guess it's hard to get 207 "countries" to lineup and run through though.

I found it sort of ironic that our first Gold was in...Shooting!

Swimming is off to a great start and has been fun to watch. The girls gymnastics team is crushing the competition too.
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       08-08-2016, 10:37 AM Reply   
I felt bad for Mara Abbott yesterday but she gave it her all and left everything out on the course! She can hold her head high because that's what it's all about.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       08-10-2016, 8:33 AM Reply   
Phelps is unreal. 25 medals. Women's gym killed it.

Cycling is crazy. I never understood how much positioning went on out on the course until I watched some of the Tour and now Olympics. Several times there were 4 or 5 different countries riding together to conserve energy, then run down the lead group. Same thing happened with Mara it sounds like.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-10-2016, 3:33 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd1 View Post
Cycling is crazy. I never understood how much positioning went on out on the course until I watched some of the Tour and now Olympics. Several times there were 4 or 5 different countries riding together to conserve energy, then run down the lead group. Same thing happened with Mara it sounds like.
30% saving when following in the draft.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       08-10-2016, 4:20 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph View Post
30% saving when following in the draft.
No chit. That's crazy. So how does it work when you approach finish line? Men's cycling I saw a guy pull back and let another guy take gold is that the way it works?
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       08-10-2016, 4:22 PM Reply   
Cross tailwind thoughts?
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-10-2016, 7:51 PM Reply   
Kerri Walsh-Jennings lost her second ever, Olympic set today. Still won the match, crazy that she's only lost two Olympic sets ever.

Kristin Armstrong winning the women's time trial again, good stuff!

Last edited by deuce; 08-10-2016 at 7:53 PM.
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       08-10-2016, 7:58 PM Reply   
Quote:
No chit. That's crazy. So how does it work when you approach finish line? Men's cycling I saw a guy pull back and let another guy take gold is that the way it works?
The guy that pulls back is the lead out rider. His job is to create the draft and set up his team rider for the final sprint to go for the win.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       08-10-2016, 8:13 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_shima1 View Post
The guy that pulls back is the lead out rider. His job is to create the draft and set up his team rider for the final sprint to go for the win.
Different countries
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       08-10-2016, 8:19 PM Reply   
Quote:
Different countries
These guys all ride on Professional teams. Loyalty to one's pro team comes first before your country. You see that a lot in the World Championships. So it's not uncommon to see a rider who will work for their pro team teammate, even though they are from different countries.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-10-2016, 11:10 PM Reply   
Quote:
It's not so much pull back but burn out. Your sprint effort on the bike is 10-20s, if you have a lead out guy he will start his effort 40s from the line, you will follow in the draft matching his speed but not riding at max, when he burns out you start your sprint effort and slingshot off his wheel. The pros hit speeds 70kph + with this lead out train set up.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-10-2016, 11:39 PM Reply   
Quote:
Cross tailwind thoughts?
Tail and cross trail trend to hold things together. Cross winds will blow things apart, survival of the strongest. Super exciting to watch racing in crosswinds
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-17-2016, 1:31 PM Reply   
Ryan says he was driving in a cab and it was pulled over by an unmarked police car and criminals displaying fake Police badges robbed them at gunpoint.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/ryan-loc...olympics-2016/
Old     (fence_sence)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-17-2016, 4:42 PM Reply   
Best Olympics commercial ever?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KbsIwjRsMNI