Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-14-2011, 12:52 PM Reply   
Says everyone onboard must be wearing a CGA vest when underway along with a couple other rules regarding life vests. I'm not happy to say the least, this is my lake of choice since I live in the Fresno Clovis area.

links here

http://capwiz.com/boatus/issues/aler...SS=Take+Action

http://www.fresnobee.com/2011/03/18/...d-on-pine.html
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-14-2011, 1:38 PM Reply   
Wow that some serious stuff. If the rules are expanded to cover other bodies of water under their jurisdiction a lot of people will be impacted. I wonder how may of those drownings occurred in the non-jack zone near shore?
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       04-14-2011, 3:36 PM Reply   
Wow that is not a good move at all.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-14-2011, 4:03 PM Reply   
Nothing like the Nanny State.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-14-2011, 4:30 PM Reply   
USCG had something about this posted at the LA Boat Show this year. Sounds like it is being done in a few lakes for now, with the goal being all across the state at some point.
Wonder how much tourism Cali will lose as a result.
Locals should probably upgrade to the inflatable Type V belts. It's not ideal, but better than wearing a neoprene vest in 100 degree heat.

Last edited by bill_airjunky; 04-14-2011 at 4:35 PM.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-14-2011, 4:50 PM Reply   
Also, I guess it's only one particular law office that was willing to enforce this law. Other office flat out refused to enforce it.
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-15-2011, 8:19 AM Reply   
It's not just Cali, There are some lakes in PA and i can't remember the other states that are also doing this.
It's funny since they say that they have only had 9 deaths on Pine flat in the last 16 years and they are going to do this study to see how it affects drowning related deaths.
well odds are that regardless of the rule you are only going to get 0-1 drownings a year. Lets say this year they have zero drownings, are they then going to say it was a success?

they recomend using thin co2 inflatable vests for those who don't want to wear neoprene or nylon ones but at $80+ for every person in the boat that ads up rather quick.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-15-2011, 8:56 AM Reply   
Wow, that seems a little over the top if you ask me. I hate the fact that we now live in a babysitting world because of a couple accidents.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-15-2011, 10:14 AM Reply   
That sucks, and is lame. I'd be selling my boat if that was how our lakes were.
Old     (lfadam)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-15-2011, 10:41 AM Reply   
Thats absurd. I feel like this will get overturned quickly. Just imagine if it went into effect for the coastal waterways. You have to wear a vest while swimming more than 100 ft from shore? So surfing would be affected (duck dives with a vest?), the scuba industry would not be able to function, etc. The oceans are more dangerous than lakes anyways, why are they putting this dumb law at a lake.

I really am not too concerned of this coming to a lake near me. The sheer ridiculousness makes me confident it will be overturned in a jiffy.
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-15-2011, 12:30 PM Reply   
They say don't worry it's only a temporary study.
The study runs from April 1st till October 1st.

Adam- like you i think that they will abandon it after this summer but it's still going to be a pain in the ... for this summer.

They also say that for your first offense you'll get a warning and after that it will be $150 ticket.

I figured w'll continue to ride the back of Pine Flat until we get a warning and after that we'll either comply or go somewhere else.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-15-2011, 2:31 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldr View Post
they recomend using thin co2 inflatable vests for those who don't want to wear neoprene or nylon ones but at $80+ for every person in the boat that ads up rather quick.
I have 2 of them that I found on sale for about $40 each at Cabelas last year.... using them for paddle surfing. Can't wait for the man to pull me over on it.
Still a stupid rule, but not quite that pricey.