Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Tigro)      Join Date: Sep 2012       07-06-2015, 1:18 PM Reply   
Hey all,

I just noticed I have a leak coming from my prop seal. Also, when I feel the rubber seal from inside the boat, you can tell its deformed and wasted. So, can anyone point me to information on how to replace the prop seal? Its a major PITA finding info for my boat!

2006 Calabria Pro V

Thanks!
Old     (cla17)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-06-2015, 6:51 PM Reply   
I'm sure I've seen whats on a ProV before but it has been a while. Take a pic and someone will be able to reference it for you. I though they used http://www.shaftseal.com/en/categories at some point but your 2006 might predate that...
Old     (Tigro)      Join Date: Sep 2012       07-06-2015, 7:27 PM Reply   
OK, I'll try to do when I am home, I'm out of town right now. However, I don't think the shaft seal website referenced will fix my problem. The leak is coming through the hull into the engine compartment.
Old     (cla17)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-06-2015, 9:16 PM Reply   
There would actually be two pieces with the one I linked... The shaft log would be what is screwed into the boat and then the seal I linked attaches to that and seals the shaft from inside the boat... But that may not be even close to what you have. Most are one piece units... In any case, a pic will probably do.
Old     (Tigro)      Join Date: Sep 2012       07-08-2015, 11:39 AM Reply   
I have attached, I think, some pics to the thread. This shaft is different on how it attaches to the flange compared to what I have seen on the Web. Anyone have any idea how to get it separated and removed? All the bolts are out. Thanks.
Attached Images

Old     (Tigro)      Join Date: Sep 2012       07-08-2015, 12:20 PM Reply   
Also, there are no stop bolts on the side to connect the shaft hub to the shaft, so I'm not sure how to remove the shaft once separated from the flange. Will it have to come out towards the inside of the boat vs out back?
Old     (Tigro)      Join Date: Sep 2012       07-08-2015, 1:39 PM Reply   
So, as these pictures show, someone had used basic silicone to seal between the hull and the pass through flange. I have contacted Calabria to see if I can get the proper gasket for this. However, if I can't get the shaft separated from the Vdrive, I'll have to just use some Marine grade silicone.
Attached Images

Old     (rbeckei)      Join Date: May 2007       07-08-2015, 2:49 PM Reply   
Your prop seal should leak 1-3 drops per minuite. It is a rope gasket that goes between the two plastic nuts. I know I had a leak and took the cotter pin out, tightened the two nuts and got the correct leakage.
Old     (Tigro)      Join Date: Sep 2012       07-08-2015, 2:50 PM Reply   
I think I am going to just put it back together using 3M 5200 at the hull and call it good. I think the packing was leaking too, so that will be taken care of in reassembly.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-08-2015, 3:25 PM Reply   
Do it right and get a dripless shaft seal upgrade, or get new rope packing, I would not use 5200 for this leak problem JMO....
Old     (Tigro)      Join Date: Sep 2012       07-08-2015, 4:20 PM Reply   
The plastic nuts were not tight at all and the cotter pin was missing, so I think the packing was leaking too. So I'm gonna reseal the hull and torque the packing right. Hopefully it does the trick because I can't separate the shaft from the v drive.
Old     (cla17)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-08-2015, 7:03 PM Reply   
Hmmm... Never seen a white plastic shaft seal... But any 2" shaft seal should work(http://www.go2marine.com/product/742...in-inches.html just make sure to measure the log(part that goes through the boat) and the shaft to make sure you get the right part.

It is obvious that your engine is not aligned(the tranny is too low) so don't just put it back together before aligning everything properly. AND the misalignment has put undue stress on strut so make sure you check you bearing there when you pull your shaft. It is an easy swap when you have the shaft out and will smooth things out vibration wise if it is too warn.

Good luck with it! Post pics if you want more feedback
Old     (cla17)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-08-2015, 7:06 PM Reply   
And we use 5200 on all underwater gear at the factory... I've never seen any other kind of seal for shaft logs... Make sure to do the bolts and washers on the other side too.
Old     (TTyler89)      Join Date: Jun 2015       07-08-2015, 9:33 PM Reply   
Clean the shaft log and the hull where it mounts with laqor thinner. And like Chris said, use 5200 all the way around the shaft log where it goes through the hull and in the bolts going through and tighten all that up. Next pull the shaft packing out and replace with new packing the same length and size as what came out. Put it back together and tighten it up until it gets kind of snug. Then back it off and tighten by hand until you can't turn it by hand any more. Then go drop in the lake and tighten it until you get your desired results. Boom your done. Go enjoy your summer.