Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (silverthunder)      Join Date: Sep 2007       06-19-2011, 7:03 AM Reply   
Hi fellow Epic owners,

I just received my new 2011 23v yesterday and spent the whole day trying to fix the wake on the port side (passenger). I couldn't get this wake to clean out with any combinations of water in the ballast. I was pissed off at this totally useless new toy.

We started to suspect that the dual rudder alignment were wrong. We did some measurements inside the boat and they were setup with a good toe in. We played a but the decreased toe in setting and the wake got a little bit better. We finally took the boat out the water on a boat lift and took some measurements and configured the dual ruder to be perfectly straight. Same distance from the front of the rudders as to the back of the rudder.

I was wondering if this is the correct setup for the rudder or do they require a little bit of toe in or toe out.

It did help but I can't get the wake to clear up on the port side, it is still washing a bit and makes riding difficult... I was looking at a good video of Adam Fields riding behind his Epic 23v and both wakes are totally clean.

Thanks for you help.

I will write a thorough review in the next few weeks,
Old     (billyjodonjimbo)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-19-2011, 3:54 PM Reply   
add more weight to the port ballast tank or take weight out of the starboard one.

These boats also need to have a good amount of weight in the front to keep the wake consistently clean.

Whenever I have ridden behind the 23V I usually do full front ballast, 1/4 starboard ballast, 1/2 port ballast...or something similar.
Old     (fredlap)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-19-2011, 7:56 PM Reply   
We tried every f!!king combinasion but it looks really hard to tune! Since we fixed the rudders, it's better but it still missing a little something. The starboard side is clean and perfectly shaped. I want this wake on both side! It's not the first wakeboat we set so we are use to try and fix every bugs with the wake but this time, we are screwed! We got one week to collect all the tips we can before setting it next w-e. So, don't be shy to say anything, even the simple and stupidest one. Maybe we missed something in the process. Thanks!
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       06-20-2011, 7:53 AM Reply   
Very common complaint about the boat.. You need to adjust the ballast on each side to get them both clean. 1/2 and 1/4 or 3/4 and 1/2.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-20-2011, 8:19 AM Reply   
On my friends '07 it's usually fill the front full and the rears about 1/2 and then maybe have one person move side to side to whichever one needs to be cleaned up and then it's good. What about the trim tab? Did playing with that help at all?
Old     (HighVoltage)      Join Date: Aug 2010       06-20-2011, 8:40 AM Reply   
I've seen some really loaded down Epics with sand bags in the nose. Try that?

What prop is on there? What speed are you running?
Old     (matt_ostmeyer)      Join Date: Mar 2003       06-20-2011, 11:06 AM Reply   
The port wake is more sensitive due to the throw of the prop. The rudders have to be pretty far out before they make a huge difference. The rudders should be aligned straight, as you have tuned it. It will clean up for you, don't worry. Load the front tank full and both rear tanks to about 1/3 (or 1/2 if you only have a couple people in the boat, but don't run either rear tank over 1/2.) Run with the trim tab between 50% and 75%. Drain the starboard tank until the port wake is clean. You may end up running the starboard tank almost empty. If you want some more size without washing, add a 600 pound sack up front.
Old     (silverthunder)      Join Date: Sep 2007       06-20-2011, 11:08 AM Reply   
Thanks for your inputs.

We will do some more tests next weekend.

We pretty much tried all the different setups I found on old posts which are very similar to what you are recommending. After fixing the rudder alignment problem it got better, before it was washy all the way. Now it starting to clear but it still not rideable at 75+ feet. We tried from 22-25 mph.

What seems to help is when it turn very slightly to the left, then the wake start to get clean. I'm still suspecting the the rudders are the cause. I will double check the rudder alignment to make sure they are dead straight and I will take photos of different setup, it might be easier to troubleshoot.

Thanks

ST
Old     (silverthunder)      Join Date: Sep 2007       06-20-2011, 11:16 AM Reply   
Thanks Matt and HighVoltage

I will definitively try with more weight in the bow.

But OMG the wake is sick, hard and poppy. Took my first set yesterday, with some ballast and some without any ballast and its great. I did some nice jumps til I took a spill on a toe side w2w jump. Bruised some ribs and I'm probably out for a few weeks....

Can't wait to try it again...
Old     (silverthunder)      Join Date: Sep 2007       06-26-2011, 7:07 AM Reply   
Matt, Guys

The weather has been terrible this weekend and we were only able to go out for about an hour or so.

Following you tip, the best we could do is with the bow at 20-40%, passenger side 3/8 and driver side empty. This way the port side wake is still washing but only starts to wash at the rider lenght. +-75 feet. Any more weight and it starts to wash +- 60-70 feet.

What we notice during our session is that this washing doesn't seem to be caused by a weight difference or placement. I can cause it to wash on any side by moving the people around but this remaining or persistent wash wont clear except.... We notice that the port side wake clears up nicely when the rider his down the starboard wake.

My theory is that there is still a misalignment somewhere. The light pull of the rider seems to apply some subtle lateral force that cleans the opposing wake. When the weather clear, I will take the boat out the water and inspect everything, the rudder, wake plate, fins, etc... to make sure they are all correctly aligned and straight.

I'm starting to think that I got a lemon, bought an Epic for the size and shape of the wake and can't get a decent wake out of this boat. We have tuned the wake of several boat in the past, it is usually simply moving the weight around but this is something else.

Thanks again for your help

ST
Old     (iliketowakealot)      Join Date: May 2011       06-26-2011, 10:26 AM Reply   
What about speed? If the wake is washing out at +-75 feet, and you add more weight and it starts washing out at +-60-70 feet, the extra weight is bogging down the boat. I don't see any reference to throttle speeds in this post and it is very much part of getting a great wake, on any boat. Maybe you are going too slow...speed it up a bit.
Old     (iliketowakealot)      Join Date: May 2011       06-26-2011, 10:38 AM Reply   
If the wake is washing out at +-75 feet, and you add more weight and it starts washing out at +-60-70 feet, the extra weight is bogging down the boat. Maybe you are going too slow...speed it up a bit. You mention top of 25mph, have you tried faster speeds? It may be the push. How about a video or pics?
Old     (silverthunder)      Join Date: Sep 2007       06-26-2011, 4:25 PM Reply   
Hi Matt,

I should have posted the speed at which we did our tests. We played with all possible combination of the usual variable (Weight, weight placement, speed, wake plate, etc...). The speed was 22.5 to 26+ during our test.

I'm looking at this video of bob and Phil soven riding being Adam Fields Epc 23v and I whish my wake was that clean....

I will investigate further and poste video or pictures.

thanks

ST
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-26-2011, 4:57 PM Reply   
You can see the reg heel side is on the point of washing as they are cresting the wake
Old     (silverthunder)      Join Date: Sep 2007       07-01-2011, 6:18 PM Reply   
Hi Guys!

I just wanted to give you an update, it might help someone help with the same problem in the future.

I wasn't able to get a clean port side wake even after aligning correctly the rudders.... I finally had the time to take the boat out the water to check it out. While driving the boat to the launch ramp, I decided to do some tests again and everything was pointing the wake plate.

When we look at the wake plate from a distance it was obvious that it was not square with the bottom of the boat. There was about 1/2 to 5/8 inch higher on the port side... I was pissed at the poor job and total absence of quality control but I was also relief to finally have a wakeboat that worked...

My dealer did a fantastic job and got this fix in about an hour even if they were closed today for our national holiday. While there I looked at another 23v and 21v and they were both correctly installed. I guess my boat was worked on by a crooked eyes mechanic that was on LSD.

Anyways, I will finally be able to enjoy my boat....

I can now report that the wake is very easy to tune, it is now perfect on both sides. Hopefully, I will be able to ride soon, the last time I tried with the washy wake, I took a good spill and bruised a couple of ribs...

Thanks for you help and if you ever have problems with a washy wake that you can't seem to fix with the usual variables, Please inspect every things,

I took some pictures of the misaligned wake plate and will post them soon.

Thanks Guy...

ST
Old     (matt_ostmeyer)      Join Date: Mar 2003       07-07-2011, 11:39 AM Reply   
Stoked to hear the issue was found and fixed and you're getting the Epic Boost now!

The misalignment should not have made it through production process or quality check. I relayed your experience and the issue has been addressed at the factory, it will not happen again.
Old     (fredlap)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-11-2011, 9:12 PM Reply   
Since we fixed the problem, I'm just living a dream.... this is a WAKE! Best shape ever saw! Hard as a rock and easy to read. You don't need so much line tension to get a lot of straight air. WOW! If you think a 210 got pop.... it's nothing compare to this wake. The only thing we are not so excited about fuel efficiency. It not a surprise but it still shocking... but I still love the sound and the power of this 8.1L.... a beast!
Old     (usostyle)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-14-2011, 9:30 PM Reply   
Guys-

We have had the same issues with our port side wakes, both wakeboarding and surf wakes. The wakeboarding wake though is flat out hideous and actually embarrassing (same thing as reported by others-washes easily etc.). We don't wakeboard much, but when we do, it's a flat out cluster trying to figure out/tweak/dial the port side wake. NOTHING seems to clean it up.

So i took Serge's advice and went and checked my wakeplate. Wouldn't you know it, our wakeplate is off too, but a little different issue. Ours is flush with the bottom of the boat, but it is shifted about a 1/2" too far to the port side. So it's basically off center. I am 'hoping' that is the issue with our port-side wakes, or at least helps out. I'll have my dealer re-align and I'll report back if this fixes it.

Thanks Serge for sharing, we thought we checked everything, but obviously we didn't.

Fingers crossed!
Old     (justin29houston)      Join Date: Jul 2011       07-17-2011, 11:29 AM Reply   
On my Epic we fill the front all the way, port all the way and starboard at 3/4. and put the trim little over 50 percent! I love the wake!
Old     (olmoomba)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-18-2011, 4:47 PM Reply   
hey justin - you able to get your boat in the water on conroe or do you have to to the trinity?
Old     (fredlap)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-18-2011, 7:12 PM Reply   
Here's Serge enjoying his Epic! The wake is just sick! 1/2 or a bit more in the center and the left, almost nothing in the right and only the driver.... Doh! no third! Whatever, the boat is sick! minus 1 for the gas!
Attached Images

Old     (olmoomba)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-19-2011, 8:19 AM Reply   
put a little in the right, you have a curl on the left wake that will go away with just a smidge more weight to counter that. Use an ice chest to test this if you wish. slide it from middle to right and you may see a huge difference and get an idea of how much. If you have kids that's even better. my 60lb 8yr old can clean up a side real quick.
Old     (silverthunder)      Join Date: Sep 2007       07-27-2011, 6:51 PM Reply   
Ok finally got the picture we took of the crooked wake plate. You can see it was almost half an inch lower on the right side. It was messing up the port side wake real bad. We still have some issues with the port side wake. We will recheck the wake plate , rudders, etc... but it a lot better now at least we can ride.

The wake is awesome...steep and popy...

ST
Attached Images

Last edited by silverthunder; 07-27-2011 at 6:55 PM.