Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 08, 2008

Old     (chriscraftwake)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-27-2008, 12:51 PM Reply   
I was just wondering if anyone else had a problem with the swim platform getting black stuff all over your feet and anything that touches it.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       05-27-2008, 1:01 PM Reply   
Not with mine, but it was a common issue.
Old     (blondesrule)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-27-2008, 1:30 PM Reply   
Just spoke with Supra. They said it was a default in the manufacturing process with 04-05. They said they got it corrected in 06.
Old     (blondesrule)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-27-2008, 1:31 PM Reply   
Does anyone have any ideas other than rino lining the platform for traction? Was thinking about Gator-grip but that stuff is pretty pricey.
Old     (sp0tts)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-27-2008, 1:57 PM Reply   
I had an 04 GG and had the same problem. I have other friends with Supras and no problem. I took the OEM stuff off and went with Gator Grip. IMO it looked better and felt better on the feet, also no bleeding issues. I remember the black stuff being rather tough to get off the vinyl too.
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       05-27-2008, 2:57 PM Reply   
They did not resolve the problem in 06! They sent me 06 traction pads to replace the pads on my 04. A month later I started having black residue again.

The issue is that the manufacturer of the pads produces them with a UV inhibitor on top of the pad. Over time the UV inhibitor wears off and then the allows UV rays to break down the pad itself, hence the black residue.

I recovered mine with Hydroturf. They manufacture their pads with UV inhibitor blended with the pad material, not just on top. I also went with a dark grey color instead of black, just to be safe. I've had the Hydroturf for almost a year and no residue!!!
Old     (jhgsupra)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-27-2008, 3:05 PM Reply   
Funny, I just got off the phone with Skier's Choice a few hours ago about the very same question. This issue has been bugging me for a couple of years now but I have yet to take action however I've finally had enough. The crap gets all over the boat.

I too looked into Gator Grip and Hydro Turf. Both appear to be pretty good options, The folks from GG sent me a sample piece; real easy to cut however I don't think one piece will cover the entire platform. Same is true for Hydro Turf. HT looks real good but to get pattern consistency you might need a couple of pieces.

Supra/Skiers Choice did mention they have a new covering for their platforms and that it's better than what they had previously. The cost is $168.19. Part number 108084. It's one piece and will fit your platform perfectly. It also has a Supra logo. A bit more expensive than GG or HT but you know it will fit.

Good luck, we need it.

JHG
Old     (jhgsupra)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-27-2008, 3:36 PM Reply   
Here's a link to a previous conversation with pics of the hydroturf.

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/488788.html
Old     (bkoz)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-27-2008, 4:19 PM Reply   
I went with Gator Grip on mine and its is MUCH better. One sheet cut into 3 peices worked fine, theres a pic but not very good one in my profile.
Old     (04outback)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-27-2008, 6:31 PM Reply   
post today on moomba.com re: removing the old pad and residue:
http://www.moomba.com/msgboard/showthread.php?t=5474
I had 04 Moomba Outback and had same issue. I now have 06 LSV and don't seem to have an issue with black stains.. i keep 303 on it...
Old     (chriscraftwake)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-29-2008, 6:36 AM Reply   
Thanks alot guys for all the help I did order the replacement from carolinainboard.com !!!!