Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 24, 2008

Old     (watersnake)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-08-2008, 10:39 PM Reply   
How fast due you guys pull your boat? Just coming home from the mountains, going downhill on a long section of freeway before climing an incline doing about.....65-70 mph. He got me for speeding (reduced it to 60mph, warned me about towing speed limit?????? 55mph ?????? I honestly did'nt know that was the limit while towing! and there were some construction cones on the road side (no workers). I guess all-in-all he was cool enough to reduce mph and only warn me about the cone zone!
Old     (ttuclint)      Join Date: Sep 2003       07-08-2008, 10:48 PM Reply   
State/Province: CA
Old     (kid_a)      Join Date: Sep 2004       07-08-2008, 11:00 PM Reply   
I'm always worried about getting a ticket going downhill before a big incline coming up. At least you didnt get the fine doubled!
Old     (ferral)      Join Date: Sep 2007       07-08-2008, 11:30 PM Reply   
Yeah, I know if you are coming down highway 50 from Tahoe, there are a bunch of signs that say truck/trailer speed limit is 55mph.
Old     (brodie_chaboya)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-09-2008, 12:17 AM Reply   
The last 2 speeding tickets I have got were for the same reason. Last one I was coming down 80 from the summit on my way to Reno. The other one was in Merced for speeding while passing with boat. Both sucked but both cops reduced my actual speed, still paid for both. I drive real slow when I tow boats now.
Old     (ozzie)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-09-2008, 2:22 AM Reply   
Hey brodie you wont get booked in Oz....when r u heading down dude....Jarrod is in Sac now with john
Old     (wakekat15)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-09-2008, 5:27 AM Reply   
We've been given a ticket for exceeding the towing speed limit in Texas. I didn't even know there was one that is different from regular speed limits. They only post these "special" speed limits upon entering the state, so...if you don't leave the state, you wouldn't know what it is!!!
Old     (mammoth)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-09-2008, 5:45 AM Reply   
How can you not know? It's posted on the side of the highway in Ca all over the place. You've never seen the "55 - Trucks and Autos with Trailers" signs?.
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       07-09-2008, 7:50 AM Reply   
State Trailer Speed Limits
N/A-MT ; 45-ME,NH ; 55-AZ,CA,OR,AL,LA,TX,MI,DL,NJ,PN,CN,MA,GA,NC,SC,VA,AK ,HI ; 60-WA,AR ; 65-ID,NV,UT,IW,KY,MO,ND,OK,TN,MS,IL,IN,MN,OH,WI,MD,NY ,RI,VT,WV ; 70-KS,FL ; 75-NM,CO,NE,SD,WY

(Message edited by wakebrdjay on July 09, 2008)
Old     (richnnorcal)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-09-2008, 8:08 AM Reply   
Jesse, sorry to hear about the tix, are you going to traffic school for that one? To answer your question, I normally stay in the far right lane go between 55- 65mph depending on the traffic, where we're going and who's around me. If I see other Semi's, trailers and RV's I try to hang with them. Think safety in numbers. The Truckers seem to know where the bears hang out.
Old     (helinut)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-09-2008, 8:09 AM Reply   
Yeah, I believe most people in this state have no idea if they are pulling a trailer that the speeds on the freeway are 60mph. It's not enforced very well, but they can get you for it. The bad thing is all the signs say Trucks 60 Cars 70. It doesn't specifically state towing trailers.
Old     (goinbigg17)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-09-2008, 9:16 AM Reply   
It's always been my understanding that "trucks 60" only refers to semi's. This is in WA.
Old     (ttuclint)      Join Date: Sep 2003       07-09-2008, 9:20 AM Reply   
Jay T, not sure where you got your info but you can tow at 70mph in Texas.
Old     (blondesrule)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-09-2008, 9:29 AM Reply   
No special enforcement for trailers here in AZ. Just go with the flow.
Old     (wkbrdrchad)      Join Date: Feb 2007       07-09-2008, 9:35 AM Reply   
I just checked for Michigan and on the Deparment of Transportation's website, it states:

"Passenger cars towing trailers are allowed to travel at the posted speed limit, including the “recreational double” (pickup/fifth wheel recreational camper/second trailer)"
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-09-2008, 9:47 AM Reply   
If you really pulled your boat 55 on california highways you would basically be a moving pylon and back up traffic for miles and miles and be in danger the whole time you were towing.

I do try to keep it at 65 though, and less in areas where I know the CHP lurk, like big downhills around the grapevine etc. But on the open highway?? Absurd. Every semi is doing at least 65 and you simply cannot afford to be the slowest thing on the highway.

I do pick my spots though, and have alot of sympathy for those who have gotten nailed. I really try to keep it under 70, 10 minutes added to my trip is not worth the fine and insurance bump anymore.
Old     (detonate69)      Join Date: Apr 2001       07-09-2008, 10:36 AM Reply   
I don't have to worry. I set the cruise control at 60mph and cruise from Modesto to Tracy. If I'm going too slow for someone they can go around. Hell everyone drives too damn fast anyways, Even without the boat I'll cruise at 75 and I'm getting passed like I'm standing still.
I'd rather not find out what happens when a trailer tire blows at 70mph+.
Old     (mammoth)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-09-2008, 10:38 AM Reply   
My observations on Cali highways are much different...but probably a result of being in higher enforcement and traffic areas. 55-60 when towing is pretty common in the slow lane up here in the better half of the state!
Old     (load)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-09-2008, 11:58 AM Reply   
Agreed set at cruise 60 and go. Drove up and back to Redding that way, very relaxing not always having to pass someone, safer and saves Gas. Most of the semis are going the same speed. Aslo the "Autos with trailers" signs are about 100 feet past the regular speed limit signs.
Old     (tp83)      Join Date: Nov 2007       07-09-2008, 9:50 PM Reply   
yup the speed limit while towing sucks ass, i guess i got lucky when my O/D got locked out and i had to tow all the way home at 55 @3k rpms in a diesel. it is messed up tho to tag someone when starting a grade because the more speed you carry into it the less the truck has to work towards the top.
Old     (spinner_x)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-09-2008, 9:56 PM Reply   
Ive never seen a Michigan towing speed law enforced here.

I tow my trailers around at like 70-75, and I'm definitely not the only one.
Old     (helinut)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-10-2008, 9:17 AM Reply   
I'm 100% positive on the 60 mph limit towing in Washington.
Old     (watersnake)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-10-2008, 12:19 PM Reply   
Nate- I have never paid attention to the signs, Maybe cuse I drive to fast to read them , oh well, lesson learned!

Rich G - Ya, I'm def gonna do online traffic school. Well, my wife will be doing it for me .

I really can't fathom driving 55! Feels way to slow, I guess I'll keep driving with the flow of traffic, maybe a radar detector is what I need.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-10-2008, 12:43 PM Reply   
Jesse:

Note that there are two speed limit signs on California freeways. One says "65". The other says "Truck, autos pulling trailers: 55"

If you weren't aware of the speed limit then I am guessing that you are not aware of the lane restrictions. Keep your trailer in the far right lane. You can move over one (1) lane to pass. Never, EVER move more than two lanes over. The only exception is if there is a sign (usually overhead) that points to a lane and says "TRUCKS OK". This usually only occurs at interchanges.

As for the speed you can actually go before you get caught: I have found 68 MPH to be a magic number in Calfornia. I read somewhere that some of the larger trucking companies have govenors on the engines to limit the top speed and these are typically set to 68 MPH. This would explain why you have one truck going 68.0 MPH pass another going 67.9MPH, taking 10 minutes to do it.

Rod
Old     (watersnake)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-10-2008, 1:13 PM Reply   
Thanks for the info Rod, I'll test that 68 MPH speed this weekend!
Old     (goinbigg17)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-10-2008, 2:48 PM Reply   
Shawn- I think the average truck towing a boat is probably safe at 70mph in Washington.

2) The maximum speed limit for vehicles over ten thousand pounds gross weight and vehicles in combination except auto stages shall not exceed sixty miles per hour and may be established at a lower limit by the secretary as provided in RCW 46.61.405.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=46.61.410
Old     (helinut)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-10-2008, 4:39 PM Reply   
I think my Expedition is somewhere in the neighborhood of 6,300 pounds. With my Vride and trailer I'd say I'm probably over that 10K. Oh well, I don't do much more than 65 anyways to save on fuel and my poor 5.4 liter.

Guess listening to the evening news doesn't mean much anymore. That's where I heard it from and I should have looked it up myself.
Old     (azpowerhouse)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-10-2008, 10:49 PM Reply   
Arizona is now 75mph not 55mph, is what changed in the past few years... here is the first link I found...
http://www.towingworld.com/articles/TowingLaws.htm
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-11-2008, 5:44 PM Reply   
70mph max tow speed in the FLA
Old     (bill_sloan)      Join Date: Nov 2007       07-15-2008, 9:33 AM Reply   
I'm glad I mainly stay in Colorado, Wyoming, and Nebraska.