Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-05-2017, 7:23 AM Reply   
http://redstatewatcher.com/article.asp?id=61305

I wasn't a fan when the left decided to boycott Chik-fil-a

and I'm not a fan when the right boycotts Starbucks

these are locally owned franchises. The owner/operators can't control that their CEO is an idiot....

just thought I'd share...
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-05-2017, 10:51 AM Reply   
All Starbucks stores are corporate (no franchises). That said, I'm hooked and not boycotting regardless of any politics.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-05-2017, 11:28 AM Reply   
I don't drink coffee. Water is all your body requires.
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       02-05-2017, 11:36 AM Reply   
I don't think Schultz is too concerned. Doubt too many "red state watcher" readers are paying $8 for a frappaliciousmochawhatever (I don't drink coffee so I may be way off on the prices of these things) anyway.

Of course no one cares that the 10,000 refugee jobs are planned to be spread out over 75 countries where they do business, and they've already hired 8k veterans in the US alone in the last couple years.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-05-2017, 11:37 AM Reply   
Yup I'm down to go to another Coffee joint like Peet's but this was before I heard Howard Was gonna hire 10,000 refugees Vs Vetrans so I was already not spending my money at Starbucks.
Speaking of Starbucks, all the ones I have been to lately are super beat down. It's like they have been pocketing the cash for the overpriced Water and Moccas and not spending any Money on Maintenance and keeping the place looking nice. The Peet's that I have been to seem better kept up and not as popular.
Old     (jburbo)      Join Date: Sep 2007       02-05-2017, 12:03 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant_west View Post
Yup I'm down to go to another Coffee joint like Peet's but this was before I heard Howard Was gonna hire 10,000 refugees Vs Vetrans so I was already not spending my money at Starbucks.
Speaking of Starbucks, all the ones I have been to lately are super beat down. It's like they have been pocketing the cash for the overpriced Water and Moccas and not spending any Money on Maintenance and keeping the place looking nice. The Peet's that I have been to seem better kept up and not as popular.
read the post above yours. Starbucks has had a program in place for a while now to provide jobs for veterans. If they wanted the jobs, they can have them at any time. They are actually a very good company to work for in regards to employee benefits, college program, etc.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-05-2017, 1:43 PM Reply   
Joe: like I said in my post. Most of the Starbucks I have been to look and feel dirty. Run down. That's why I go else where. And for the record I bet its hard to keep these places spick and span. They serve like a million people all day long and people for the most part when they are at a retail place they are complete slobs. But like I said in my travels I have found Peet's to be a cleaner and better kept coffee joint and that's my reason.
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       02-05-2017, 6:56 PM Reply   
any company that makes political comments or movements are asking for loss in sales. looks like budweiser is on boycott list as well
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       02-05-2017, 9:28 PM Reply   
not only have they hired 8,000 of the 10,000 veterans they are shooting for by 2018, but they also provide them tuition free college in partnership with ASU. And now they extend an extra college benefit to veteran spouses and children too.

I don't drink beer either, but give Bud credit for their ad. Nice to see companies doing the right thing regardless of the short term bottom line.
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       02-06-2017, 2:41 AM Reply   
Doing the right thing is your opinion, and I love to hear any company supporting vets. We all need to give more support to our Vets, but any company for profit should not support any political philosophy. Its bad for all parties.
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       02-06-2017, 9:24 AM Reply   
Your response makes no sense. Of course it's an opinion - your assertion that "we all need to give more to support our vets" is also an opinion. I happen to agree with that opinion but that's still just our opinion. The idea that a company should avoid politics or that it's "bad for all parties" is absurd as programs to explicitly support vets are by definition supporting a "political philosophy."

How do you feel about Trump boasting that he's going to destroy the Johnson Amendment?
Old     (Laker1234)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-06-2017, 5:01 PM Reply   
IMHO, Starbucks may be encouraging discrimination, but they are within their rights to hire whomever they want. From what little I know about the Johnson Amendment, it does seem to limit free speech, but I don't understand why Johnson felt the need to implement it in the first place.
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       02-13-2017, 6:24 PM Reply   
The issue with my opinion vs a corporations opinion are totally different issues. i can say whatever i want without affecting the balance of any corporate company. when a company makes statements or follows a left or right stance, it jeopardizes the performance of the company, period. right or wrong or indifferent, there is an affect on the short and longer term stock value, employment stability and, potential loss in revenue that could affect both left and right employees and share holders. so its simple, they need to shut up, don't voice opinions, its not their place to do so. Any if they do, they deserve the right to lose. and the employees and share holders either need to get out or accept the loss.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       02-14-2017, 8:43 AM Reply   
everyone and their dog feels like now is the time to use whatever voice they have. friends who historically couldn't care less about politics are posting crap on social media everyday, often with very little understanding of the issues at hand.

Corps draw a definite line in the sand when they take a stand on things like this. I for one, wouldn't do it as CEO and if I sat on SBUX board, I would be a staunch opponent of him being so outspoken on such issues. only divides the company. On the whole, SBUX pays their folks more than comps, better benefits, educating EE's, etc. LOVE them hiring veterans. they were doing it all the right way. now this refugee BS. SMH
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       02-14-2017, 8:44 AM Reply   
Johnson amendment: needs to stay, non profits need to stay out of politics.
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       02-14-2017, 1:10 PM Reply   
Starbucks CEO (and, clearly, its board) know that ethics are important in business (Trump voters could use a lesson in this) in the long run. They clearly couldn't care less about pissing off the xenophobes in the short term in order to be on the right side of history. Looks like it tends to pan out pretty well for them overall:

http://www.newsweek.com/quora-questi...t-chain-554420
Old    TheWakeIsReal            02-14-2017, 3:32 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd1 View Post
everyone and their dog feels like now is the time to use whatever voice they have. friends who historically couldn't care less about politics are posting crap on social media everyday, often with very little understanding of the issues at hand.

Corps draw a definite line in the sand when they take a stand on things like this. I for one, wouldn't do it as CEO and if I sat on SBUX board, I would be a staunch opponent of him being so outspoken on such issues. only divides the company. On the whole, SBUX pays their folks more than comps, better benefits, educating EE's, etc. LOVE them hiring veterans. they were doing it all the right way. now this refugee BS. SMH
lol why are you so pissed they're hiring refugees? Like what's your issue with it? Entitled to your own opinion but I am just interested into why hiring refugees would make you upset. They even state priority goes to the ones who worked with US troops.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       02-15-2017, 8:02 AM Reply   
so pissed??

calm down bro. ISIS has been disguising terrorists as refugees for over a decade. I just want to know who these people are and where their motives lie. Thats all!!

My issue with it is we give terrorists a place to call home and a job, then they turn around blow **** up. Are they all terrorists? obviously not, seems pretty obvious to me that we need to vet these people more than what we're currently doing. I'm not alone on this

Last edited by denverd1; 02-15-2017 at 8:09 AM.
Old    TheWakeIsReal            02-15-2017, 9:15 AM Reply   
Quote:
so pissed??

calm down bro. ISIS has been disguising terrorists as refugees for over a decade. I just want to know who these people are and where their motives lie. Thats all!!

My issue with it is we give terrorists a place to call home and a job, then they turn around blow **** up. Are they all terrorists? obviously not, seems pretty obvious to me that we need to vet these people more than what we're currently doing. I'm not alone on this
And where are all these refugee terror attacks here? Has it ever occurred to you that 99.9% of these people are just trying to escape a war torn country? I agree stronger vetting, but once they're in then why not have a motive to make them part of society and give them jobs? Why boycott Starbucks on this when if they didn't you guys would complain these jobless refugees are a burden on society?
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       02-15-2017, 12:03 PM Reply   
Little Rock, Arkansas, June 1, 2009. Abdulhakim Mujahid Muhammad shot and murdered one soldier, Army Pvt. William Andrew Long, and injured another, Pvt. Quinton Ezeagwula, at a military recruiting station in Little Rock. Muhammad reportedly converted to Islam in college and was on the FBI's radar after being arrested in Yemen–a hotbed of radical Islamic terrorism–for using a Somali passport, even though he was a U.S. citizen. In a note to an Arkansas judge, Muhammad claimed to be a member of al-Qaeda in the Arab Peninsula, the terror group's Yemen chapter.

Fort Hood, Texas, November 5, 2009. Major Nidal Malik Hasan shot up a military base in Fort Hood and murdered 14 people. Hasan was in contact with al-Qaeda terrorist Anwar al-Awlaki prior to the attack and shouted "Allahu Akbar!" as he fired upon the soldiers on the Fort Hood base. After being sentenced to death, Hasan requested to join ISIS while on death row. It took six years for Obama to acknowledge the shooting as a terror attack instead of "workplace violence."

Boston, Massachusetts, April 15, 2013. Tamerlan and Dhozkar Tsarnaev set off two bombs at the 2013 Boston marathon, killing three and injuring over 260 people. The Tsarnaev brothers later shot and murdered Massachusetts Institute of Technology police officer Sean Collier. The Tsarnaev brothers were self-radicalized through online jihadist propaganda and through a mosque with ties to al-Qaeda.

Moore, Oklahoma, September 24, 2014. Alton Nolen beheaded a woman, Colleen Huff, at a Vaughan Foods plant and stabbed and injured another person. While Nolen's motives are unclear, he appears to have been another radicalized Muslim who was obsessed with beheadings.

Queens, New York, October 23, 2014. Zale Thompson, another self-radicalized Muslim, injured two police officers with a hatchet before being shot dead by other cops. Thompson reportedly indoctrinated himself with ISIS, al-Qaeda and al-Shabab–a Somali jihadist terror group–websites and was a lone wolf attacker.

Brooklyn, New York, December 20, 2014. Ismaayil Brinsley shot and murdered two police officers execution-style and his Facebook page featured jihadist postings and had ties to a terror-linked mosque.

Garland, Texas, May 3, 2015. Two gunmen shot up the Curtis Culwell Center in Garland, where a Mohammed cartoon contest was taking place, and were killed by a police officer. ISIS claimed responsibility for the attack.

Chattanooga, Tennessee, July 16, 2015. Muhammad Youssef Abdulazeez shot and killed four Marines and a sailor at a military base in Chattanooga and was believed to have been inspired by ISIS.

San Bernardino, California, December 14, 2015. Two radical Islamists, Syed Farook and Tashfeen Malik, shot and murdered 14 people and injured 22 others at an office holiday party.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       02-15-2017, 12:04 PM Reply   
Orlando, Florida, June 12, 2016. Omar Mateen, 29, opened fire at a gay nightclub, killing 49 and injuring 53. The FBI investigated Mateen twice before his rampage, but did not take any substantive action. Officials believe Mateen was self-radicalized but he pledged fealty to ISIS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi before his death. "The real muslims will never accept the filthy ways of the west," Mateen posted on his Facebook page after committing his heinous act at Pulse nightclub. "I pledge my alliance to (ISIS leader) abu bakr al Baghdadi..may Allah accept me," he wrote.

St. Cloud, Minnesota, September 17, 2016. Dahir Ahmed Adan, a 20-year-old Somali refugee, began hacking at people with a steak knife at a Minnesota mall, injuring nine people before he was shot dead by off-duty police officer Jason Falconer. The FBI said numerous witnesses heard Adan yelling "Allahu akbar!" and "Islam! Islam!" during the rampage. He also asked potential victims if they were Muslims before inflicting wounds in their heads, necks, and chests. The FBI believe he had recently become self-radicalized. (As the Daily Wire highlighted, the Minneapolis Star Tribune attempted to blame "anti-Muslim tensions" for his murderous actions.)

New York City/New Jersey, September 17, 2016. Ahmad Khan Rahami, a 28-year-old naturalized citizen from Afghanistan, set off multiple bombs in New York and New Jersey. In Chelsea, his bomb resulted in the injury of over 30 people. Rahami wrote in his journal that he was connected to "terrorist leaders," and appears to have been heavily influenced by Sheikh Anwar, Anwar al-Awlaki, Nidal Hassan, and Osama bin Laden. "I pray to the beautiful wise ALLAH, [d]o not take JIHAD away from me," Rahami wrote. "You [USA Government] continue your [unintelligible] slaught[er]" against the holy warriors, "be it Afghanistan, Iraq, Sham [Syria], Palestine ... "

Columbus, Ohio, November 28, 2016. Abdul Razak Ali Artan, an ISIS-inspired 20-year-old Somali refugee who had been granted permanent legal residence in 2014 after living in Pakistan for 7 years, attempted to run over his fellow Ohio State students on campus. After his car was stopped by a barrier, he got out of the vehicle and began hacking at people with a butcher knife before being shot dead by a campus police officer. He injured 11 people, one critically. ISIS took credit for the attack, describing Artan as their "soldier." Just three minutes before his rampage, Artan posted a warning to America on Facebook that the "lone wolf attacks" will continue until America "give[s] peace to the Muslims." He also praised deceased al-Qaeda cleric Anwar Al-Awlaki as a "hero."
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       02-15-2017, 12:04 PM Reply   
I didnt' boycott Starbucks ****head, I don't drink coffee.

Bitch all you want, but an open door policy isn't gonna work these days. Now go stick your head back in the sand.
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       02-15-2017, 12:08 PM Reply   
All that copy and paste (from a reputable source I'm sure) and not one attack listed by refugees. Nor any explanation why it would be a bad thing to, once refugees are vetted and settled here, have a program that provides them jobs.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       02-15-2017, 12:14 PM Reply   
WRONG

St. Cloud, Minnesota, September 17, 2016. Dahir Ahmed Adan, a 20-year-old Somali refugee, began hacking at people with a steak knife at a Minnesota mall, injuring nine people before he was shot dead by off-duty police officer Jason Falconer. The FBI said numerous witnesses heard Adan yelling "Allahu akbar!" and "Islam! Islam!" during the rampage. He also asked potential victims if they were Muslims before inflicting wounds in their heads, necks, and chests. The FBI believe he had recently become self-radicalized. (As the Daily Wire highlighted, the Minneapolis Star Tribune attempted to blame "anti-Muslim tensions" for his murderous actions.)

Columbus, Ohio, November 28, 2016. Abdul Razak Ali Artan, an ISIS-inspired 20-year-old Somali refugee who had been granted permanent legal residence in 2014 after living in Pakistan for 7 years, attempted to run over his fellow Ohio State students on campus. After his car was stopped by a barrier, he got out of the vehicle and began hacking at people with a butcher knife before being shot dead by a campus police officer. He injured 11 people, one critically. ISIS took credit for the attack, describing Artan as their "soldier." Just three minutes before his rampage, Artan posted a warning to America on Facebook that the "lone wolf attacks" will continue until America "give[s] peace to the Muslims." He also praised deceased al-Qaeda cleric Anwar Al-Awlaki as a "hero."

Jobs are great! I just don't want a boat full of ragheads posing as a refugees coming in the damn country!! Why is that so hard to understand???

Do you lock your doors at night?? same principle here guys.
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       02-15-2017, 12:26 PM Reply   
You defeat your own point with all the posts. The two refugee attacks you can come up with were nonfatal and all you've got in the history of refugees since the laws were changed in the 80s. Face it, vetting works. Now homegrown terrorists are another story. But after your raghead comment I won't be communicating with you further as youve shown yourself to be a racist piece of ****.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       02-15-2017, 12:39 PM Reply   
cool! f off!!
Old     (scwellman)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-15-2017, 12:44 PM Reply   
Quote:
cool! f off!!
"Raghead".... dude, keep it classy.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       02-15-2017, 12:54 PM Reply   
"terrorists" make yall feel better???
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       02-15-2017, 1:04 PM Reply   
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...temple-shelter
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-15-2017, 1:12 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by pesos View Post
You defeat your own point with all the posts. The two refugee attacks you can come up with were nonfatal and all you've got in the history of refugees since the laws were changed in the 80s.
LOL, it's not like you can't find a story about an American eating another persons face after murdering them. There are a lot of bombastic chicken littles running around in the Trump circle.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       03-21-2017, 9:48 AM Reply   
Schultz to step down
http://thefederalistpapers.org/us/st...plunging-sales
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       03-21-2017, 11:21 AM Reply   
You realize that article is utter and complete bull**** right? Did you actually read a site like that and think it has any legitimacy whatsoever? It is the very definition of fake news.

Schultz announced his new role back in early December (before Trump was anywhere near the Oval Office and the defunct Muslim ban was just a twinkle in Brannon's eye) and that it would take place in April.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.cnbc....bucks-ceo.html
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       03-21-2017, 12:39 PM Reply   
WHAT THE **** EVER
http://www.cnbc.com/2016/12/01/howar...bucks-ceo.html
http://www.seattletimes.com/business...oward-schultz/
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       03-21-2017, 12:42 PM Reply   
What are you on about? Do you know how to read? Are you denying that the article you posted takes a fact (that Schultz is changing his role and the COO is taking over as CEO, as was announced almost two months PRIOR to Trump taking office and the announcement of the refugee hire plan) and completely twists it to say that he is all of a sudden NOW stepping down BECAUSE of fallout from that plan?
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       03-21-2017, 2:17 PM Reply   
Wes, calm down bud! Glad to see we're talking again. Cheers!
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-25-2017, 1:16 AM Reply   
I boycott starbucks because they make awful coffee. The end.
Old     (BobClark123)      Join Date: Mar 2017       05-17-2017, 3:20 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jburbo View Post
read the post above yours. Starbucks has had a program in place for a while now to provide jobs for veterans. If they wanted the jobs, they can have them at any time. They are actually a very good company to work for in regards to employee benefits, college program, etc.
This is right and as a matter of fact they have helped a lot of people to fulfill their dreams and help their families too.

Towing Arlington VA
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       05-17-2017, 6:36 AM Reply   
My son goes to OSU and was in the next building where this happened.

Columbus, Ohio, November 28, 2016. Abdul Razak Ali Artan, an ISIS-inspired 20-year-old Somali refugee who had been granted permanent legal residence in 2014 after living in Pakistan for 7 years, attempted to run over his fellow Ohio State students on campus. After his car was stopped by a barrier, he got out of the vehicle and began hacking at people with a butcher knife before being shot dead by a campus police officer. He injured 11 people, one critically. ISIS took credit for the attack, describing Artan as their "soldier." Just three minutes before his rampage, Artan posted a warning to America on Facebook that the "lone wolf attacks" will continue until America "give[s] peace to the Muslims." He also praised deceased al-Qaeda cleric Anwar Al-Awlaki as a "hero."[/QUOTE]

He was Not a soldier for ISIs and it was Not premeditated (maybe someone yelled something at him)he was an American who was muslim, upset about some prayer rug(thank God for separation of church and state) the cops were there in two minutes and shot him, as they should. My son has one more year at OSU and I am more worried that he is living a mile off campus in Columbus, Ohio than I am about terrorist on OSU campus.