Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       12-13-2017, 9:01 PM Reply   
Well we just added a new member to the family!! We spend a lot of time on our boat so I assume the dog will be with us, but it’s all new to me. Any tips?? Anybody strongly advise against it? Pretty new MB tomcat F22. Dog is Australian Labradoodle. Also haven’t quite settled in on a name yet, so any boat, lake, wake, surf related names would love to hear for our new girl!
Old     (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       12-13-2017, 10:26 PM Reply   
Mate
Skipper
Moby

Quite a few in this linkhttps://www.thehulltruth.com/docksid...me-dog-11.html
Old     (kidrik)      Join Date: Jul 2017       12-14-2017, 5:41 AM Reply   
Anchor...
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       12-14-2017, 5:43 AM Reply   
Raley
Old     (kirk)      Join Date: May 2003       12-14-2017, 6:28 AM Reply   
Garage sale...
Old     (euro2012)      Join Date: Mar 2017       12-14-2017, 8:45 AM Reply   
Call the dog ‘spotter’. If you ever get pulled over without enough people in the boat, you will always have a ‘spotter’!
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       12-14-2017, 10:53 AM Reply   
Raley - always liked that name for a girl.
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       12-14-2017, 11:53 AM Reply   
I really like Raley. Contender for sure! Any other opinions about dogs in general on a boat? Horror stories bout destroyed vinyl or gator step is my concern. But on the flip side I expect this pup to be part of the fam so can’t imagine leaving her behind all the summer days either.
Old     (DCross)      Join Date: Jul 2016       12-14-2017, 11:56 AM Reply   
We've got a Dutch Shepherd that comes with us... we spent a lot of time getting her acclimated to water while she was young. Kiddie pool at the house, playing fetch into a pond, trail walks at the lake, lots of baths, and etc. That all helped a lot; she's a total water dog now. Biggest legit issue for us now is the stereo. There's no doubt it hurts her ears and makes her uncomfortable when we turn it up, but I've not found a good solution to that yet... other than just not turning it up as much anymore which is a bummer for the rider.
Old     (cbarguy1)      Join Date: Dec 2012       12-14-2017, 1:06 PM Reply   
Get her used to swimming before you take her on the boat. Usually best to start on shore in shallow water and walk out with her. After shes comfortable in the water then take her on the boat.

Use a leash to keep her tied inside the boat until you're sure she won't jump out. Take her out on the swim step to get used to the water and get in with her so she's not freaked out by it. Then go to unleashed but only go real slow until you're sure she won't jump out. It could be all over if she jumps out at speed especially from the bow.

And do as I say not as I do. We could never get our lab comfortable in the boat. He's too A.D.D.
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       12-14-2017, 1:33 PM Reply   
The best tip I've ever gotten off of ww is regarding how to help your dog onto the swim step after a swim. As the dog swims up to the step, all you have to do is put your hand on the back of their head/neck and be a leverage point. Using your stiff arm/hand the dog can and will very easily leverage themselves right up onto the step in one simple motion. I always laugh now when I see people struggling to get their dog back into the boat.

Best boat dog name I've ever heard is Belmont.
Old     (mikebu)      Join Date: Aug 2008       12-14-2017, 1:47 PM Reply   
My lab loves the boat. He does get really anxious when I ride so he gets tied up. I like to keep a harness on him when he's on the boat. It helps get him up into the swim platform when he swims and I can walk him around without a leash.

Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       12-14-2017, 2:30 PM Reply   
Another vote for Raley.

Best dog name I know was Taxi. A black lab in Turtle Kay Bahamas Abaco with a yellow collar. Her dad would whistle and yell Taxi!!! Perfection.

All my dogs have been rescued and I never change a dogs name. They have enough to learn.
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       12-14-2017, 2:50 PM Reply   
Hawkinson... we are gonna need pics of the mutt.. you know that right? Everybody loves puppies.
Old     (onthecreek)      Join Date: Apr 2013       12-14-2017, 5:41 PM Reply   
Get her on the boat asap. She'll get comfortable swimming and eventually jumping from the platform later. It's very much like getting a baby used to the boat. Start 'em so young they don't know any better and just grow up with it.

This is a super old pic. He was less than 6 months at this point and was always out with us. How can you leave them home? We were just floating. He wasn't allow up there otherwise.
Attached Images

Old     (dcooper)      Join Date: Mar 2005       12-14-2017, 6:12 PM Reply   
Here's an old WW thread with dogs on boats.

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=786220
Attached Images

Old     (infinitysurf)      Join Date: Apr 2017       12-14-2017, 7:46 PM Reply   
I had dreams of taking my dog on boat too. I had a black lab for 14yrs that lived to be at the lake, she passed about 5yrs ago and last year we were ready to adopt another member of the family. After a lot of looking, I purchased a kickass 120lb full blooded German Shepard last fall named "Vargas Lektro Torque" (called Tor) who was almost 2yrs old. Level 3 fully trained with all the German commands and a sick pedigree that goes back 10 generations, I got lucky to find an older couple that had purchased him but was unable to keep him because he was so powerful and they were very picky about the home he was going to. Anyway, fully planned to take him on every boat trip with us, etc.
This dog bonded with us within weeks and is insanely protective of my kids, anyone comes around and he will back up to my girls and not allow anyone near them unless we tell him to chill out and then he turns into a lover, such an awesome dog. He would face a grizzly to protect any of us. Saying all that, cause you would think this dog would be fearless of ANYTHING. Long story short, this dog is a PUSSY when it comes to water, cracks me up every time I see it but he will not go anywhere near water. I cannot even break out the hose without him racing to the other side of the house.
All I can figure is that somewhere in his past, he had a bad experience with water and he straight refuses to get over it, could totally see him freakin out in the boat to stay away from the water and trashing our boat, soooooo that dream died fast, lol. Had to share that pointless story
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       12-14-2017, 8:47 PM Reply   
I have a lab/pitty cross with a dash of Husky in her. She's a total boat dog, it's one of her happiest places. The only place she plays fetch is in the boat, my reef sandals usually make a decent enough throw toy. We tried getting her to wear booties but they pop off pretty easy. I have one minor vinyl scar from some sharp nails but the only other place she's scuffed up is the swim platform. She's an older gal so I have her in a life jacket most of the time, it also has a handle right in the middle of the back so it makes it super easy to haul her out of the water with one tug. We do keep a leash on her or a hand on her handle when I'm riding or when someone she likes enough takes a fall or even just gets in the water cause she wants to jump in and save them. She's fallen off the boat once as she raced to the platform. Some dogs like mine want to swim right towards you, with a gentle hand you can steer her away from swimming over/clawing you up. It did take her a bit to get used to jumping off the platform, she kind of learned the hard way standing on a surfer that slipped and put her right in. With enough coaxing and jumping with her she's now hard to keep in the boat. All I need to do is ask if she wants to go for a swim, then I count to 3 and jump in and she's right in with me.
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       12-14-2017, 11:31 PM Reply   
Thanks for the stories. All great! @ D I love that your big strong dog is afraid of water 😂 that’s great. But u still gotta love it right??

Alas, we have decided on a name. Raley got vetoed by my kids and my wife said she would’ve swayed them more if I could actually do one 😂. Ouch. Straight 🔥!! But without further ado I introduce you to our surfer girl “Buoy”
Attached Images

Old     (iShredSAN)      Join Date: Apr 2012       12-15-2017, 7:45 AM Reply   
Here is our dog Jovi back when he was a puppy (and our only "kid")... We could literally put him in the binding and he would just chill.. Good times
Attached Images

Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       12-15-2017, 7:50 AM Reply   
This is Razzle and she absolutely LOVES the boat!
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       12-15-2017, 8:45 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk22 View Post
Thanks for the stories. All great! @ D I love that your big strong dog is afraid of water �� that’s great. But u still gotta love it right??

Alas, we have decided on a name. Raley got vetoed by my kids and my wife said she would’ve swayed them more if I could actually do one ��. Ouch. Straight ��!! But without further ado I introduce you to our surfer girl “Buoy”
great dogs!

cute dog!! BTW it's BOUY. Make sure you don't spell it wrong on her tag/ppwk....
Old     (Shawn)      Join Date: Aug 2011       12-16-2017, 8:59 PM Reply   
Pax freakin loves the boat.

He is 75lbs and all over the place...and as long as you keep their nails trimmed you shouldn't have any upholstery problems...I have however conceded that I will have a dirtier boat with a dog on board.

For the hot days, best thing I found is the RuffWear Cooling Vest, It is an evaporative cooler meaning you just dunk it in water every so often to recharge and the temp difference under the vest is amazing!

https://www.amazon.com/Ruffwear-Swam...2Bcooling&th=1
Attached Images

Old     (WheelerWake)      Join Date: Mar 2013       12-17-2017, 5:40 AM Reply   
Quote:
surf related names
Pearl
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       12-17-2017, 7:13 PM Reply   
We have two boxers and my bother in law in the picture has one. Boxers are not good swimmers, but they love to swim with their life jackets on.
Attached Images

Old     (GoBeavs85)      Join Date: Jul 2015       12-19-2017, 11:28 AM Reply   
I’m sure this has been covered before but are the dog’s nails not a problem on the upholstery? Seems like a lot of PEOPLE don’t step on their upholster. Now I see dogs all over in the boat.
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       12-19-2017, 1:44 PM Reply   
Most dogs (even big ones) weigh substantially less than grown adults. Also, dogs walk on their pads, not their nails. I've never seen a dogs nails damage upholstery, but that's not to say it can't happen. My 90lb boxer was always in my boats and others without issue. The hair/shedding on the other hand.......
Old     (GoBeavs85)      Join Date: Jul 2015       12-20-2017, 2:19 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanfield View Post
Most dogs (even big ones) weigh substantially less than grown adults. Also, dogs walk on their pads, not their nails. I've never seen a dogs nails damage upholstery, but that's not to say it can't happen. My 90lb boxer was always in my boats and others without issue. The hair/shedding on the other hand.......

Good points. Thanks
Old     (Supra24)      Join Date: Sep 2013       12-27-2017, 10:21 AM Reply   
Quote:
Thanks for the stories. All great! @ D I love that your big strong dog is afraid of water 😂 that’s great. But u still gotta love it right??

Alas, we have decided on a name. Raley got vetoed by my kids and my wife said she would’ve swayed them more if I could actually do one 😂. Ouch. Straight 🔥!! But without further ado I introduce you to our surfer girl “Buoy”

That is too funny. I had to do a double take.

We got a new dog last year about this time. We ended up going the name "Buoy" also!

Both our dogs enjoy being on the boat

Old     (granddaddy53)      Join Date: Dec 2013       12-28-2017, 6:39 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCross View Post
We've got a Dutch Shepherd that comes with us... we spent a lot of time getting her acclimated to water while she was young. Kiddie pool at the house, playing fetch into a pond, trail walks at the lake, lots of baths, and etc. That all helped a lot; she's a total water dog now. Biggest legit issue for us now is the stereo. There's no doubt it hurts her ears and makes her uncomfortable when we turn it up, but I've not found a good solution to that yet... other than just not turning it up as much anymore which is a bummer for the rider.
Have you seen the vid of the dog that guards airport runways, he wears goggles and ear protection , looks like he loves it, maybe he would wear the ear stuff if he feels good when you turn it up
Old     (mlzelenik)      Join Date: Apr 2016       12-28-2017, 9:32 AM Reply   
Our pups are big fans of the lake. Although the Rhodie is a bigger fan of the couch in the lake house...
Name:  Beau Lake.jpg
Views: 1604
Size:  58.1 KB

Name:  Charlie Lake.jpg
Views: 1487
Size:  78.0 KB

Name:  Gus Lake.jpg
Views: 1531
Size:  110.1 KB
Old     (Mike88)      Join Date: Aug 2016       12-28-2017, 1:27 PM Reply   
My standard poodle love to swim and be on the water. It was his first Summer, he was approx 7months for his first swim. He learned better With a dog Life vest. Poodle are Known to be well swim mer not every dog are doing si well! My past great dane just hated the water haha.. it was à mess just to bring her in the pontoon! My poodle is the total opposite. Now je swims better without the vest.
Few tips i can give you are :
- bring a pair of dog boots or sox in the boat. Our vinyl is not always that rough and a dog paw can make several damage! Best to prevent. Dont know for smaller dogs but mine is now 80 pounds so he dont come on the boat without his sox.
- learn him to swim before bringing him on the boat. Less stressful
- dont push him to learn or pull him in the water. Throw a toy on the water or bring it with you and go slowly. You dont want your dog scared of the water.
- Life vest can really help the dog to learn the movement. Instead just trying to float he can work on his swim.
- keep in mind not every dogs like water. If he dont, he dont!
- have fun im sure you will be super happy and good luck!
Attached Images

Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       12-31-2017, 12:20 AM Reply   
@supra24 Uncanny!!
Old     (Darkside)      Join Date: Apr 2015       01-08-2018, 1:41 PM Reply   
Watching my crew surf is not exciting enough to keep em awake....
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       01-08-2018, 7:36 PM Reply   
My pup loves anything water, her vest goes on and it's game time!
Name:  20431221_528926537438328_7664862775930085509_n.jpg
Views: 1198
Size:  113.4 KB
Old     (CALIV210)      Join Date: Jun 2015       01-12-2018, 2:17 PM Reply   
A dog in the boat ?!?!?!? Thats crazy talk lol