Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       01-15-2010, 9:56 AM Reply   
I have a basset hound who is sick. She has some kind of mange or allergies or something. I have taken her to the vet a lot over the past couple of months and nothing they do is helping anyone but their pocket.

The vet thought it was allergies so she gave us antibiotics and steroid shots. That kind of worked for a little while but she got bad again and the vet says she can not give her anymore steroids.
Next was sarcoptic mange so she gave her a shot of ivormec and some skin ointment to spray on her. That was also a fail.
Recently I talked to a guy who raises hunting dogs and he said he had battled demodectic mange and that ivormec did not work very well on it. So he recommended Promeris. I tried it and for 4 or 5 days things where looking better and now she is back to scratching and her hair is falling out. The promeris box says to only give it to them once a month.

I feel sorry for the poor dog she scratches until she bleeds if you don't stop her and just looks miserable.

Anyone have any advice. At this point the vet is recommending a dog dermotoligist. I am kind of getting the feeling that the vet just wants to take all of my money.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       01-15-2010, 10:08 AM Reply   
Try a different vet, or take her to KSU.
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       01-15-2010, 10:12 AM Reply   
My pit bull went through this and now we are on a pill steroid that is low dosage with anti allergens. I will get the name when i get home.

The derm didn't want to do steroids so we exhausted all other options and have ended back up on steroids. Just like humans they will shorten the life of the animal, but we decided that a shorter life with enjoyment is better than a longer life of pain and misery.

My dog was one of the worst the vet had seen and now he is looking great and he is truly enjoying himself rather than laying around scratching and pulling his hair out.
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       01-15-2010, 10:29 AM Reply   
Paul,

What do you mean take her to KSU? Will they do something there?

New vet is coming.

Riley,
Please look. I really think that is what we are going to need to do.
Old     (salty87)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-15-2010, 10:47 AM Reply   
read up on raw diets. b.a.r.f. is a common term used...stands for bones and raw food. the idea is that processed dog food often introduces problems. processed foods are full of additives and fillers that dogs can't digest or worse, can make them sick. dogs don't eat grains in the wild unless their prey had eaten it. the same goes for cooked foods, cooking removes many nutrients.

i put my 2 labs on raw food 5 years ago or so. they'll never go back to processed. their teeth are clean, no body odor, no allergies, etc, etc, etc...never have to worry about chinese dog food (wtf? those bastards).

most vets aren't trained on raw diets because there's no corporate budget telling them to say that iam's or whatever brand is the best.

read up, you don't have to feed your dog processed junk. there are even human grade dog foods but they are still cooked.

edit...this site has reviews on hundred of types of dog food. see what they say about your dog's.... http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/

(Message edited by salty87 on January 15, 2010)
Old     (megsswm)      Join Date: Jul 2009       01-15-2010, 11:07 AM Reply   
I had to put my pitbull mix on a special diet from allergies that made her skin just raw...we determined she was allergic to chicken and beef by products so she is on a food made by Avoderm which is either lamb and rice or fish and sweet potatoe....not a scratch since the change. Our vet told us almost 30% of dogs have allergies to processed chicken and beef and switching foods was a good option to try before allergy testing.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       01-16-2010, 6:57 PM Reply   
Jon,

KSU has a fantastic animal clinic to go along with their vet program. I'm not sure how much they work with smaller animals, though I am sure they do. I know they specialize in large animals.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-17-2010, 6:09 AM Reply   
I experimented with various foods. Nutro for overweight dogs cured the issue. It was a food allergy. Try a dog food without any wheat first - most common issue. Second issue is meat by-products. Lamb and rice often helps.

Good luck.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       01-18-2010, 10:22 AM Reply   
I just switched my dog over to a salmon and sweet potatoe diet. hoping that cures the itching and dry skin issues.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-18-2010, 10:43 AM Reply   
We add Salmon Oil to our dog's food. It seems to help a lot with her coat and skin. Plus, there are the omega 3s.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11492047&search=salmon%20oil&M o=3&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Sp=S&N=5000043&whse=BC&Dx=m ode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogNa me:BC&Ne=4000000&D=salmon%20oil&Ntt=salmon%20oil&N o=2&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       01-18-2010, 12:58 PM Reply   
I have done all the diets, we went super hardcore with 1 part protien 1 part carb that did nothing. We did the fish oil, olive oil, and emu oil and none of those worked. Some dogs are cursed with bad allergies. We spent thousands of dollars to try and avoid steroids but in the end steroids are the only thing that help my dog live an enjoyable life.

Like i said before, a shorter life of enjoyment is much better than a longer life of misery.

I wish you the best and i know what you are going through. It sucks!
Old     (salty87)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-18-2010, 2:40 PM Reply   
if they're allergic or even just sensitive to something in their food, supplements and med's won't do too much.

food that's fit for processing into dog food is the bottom of the barrel. even the better quality dog foods have to keep costs down. that means lower quality ingredients and more fillers. whatever your dog can't digest comes out on the lawn when they do their business. seriously, you can literally see the difference. a dog on a raw diet will have digested everything they've eaten. after a day or 2 their pile will turn to dust. a dog on processed food will usually leave behind a stinking mess that will harden into a brick...the fillers and undigested matter are still there. you paid for a 40lb bag but it wasn't all edible to a dog.

whoever came up with the idea that kibble is ideal for a dog? (answer...dog food industry) it's convenient for people, that's about it.