Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (fozz)      Join Date: Apr 2011       04-18-2011, 9:02 AM Reply   
I'm considering buying a boat in Texas and having it shipped up to BC, Canada. What kind of guarentee do I have that the shipper will actually deliver the boat and doesn't take off with it?

My other option is I could fly to Texas and then rent a truck and drive it back myself. I am not opposed to this, but I'm having a hard time finding anywhere that rents pickups and allows them to be dropped off in Washington state. Does anyone know of a rental company that allows this?
Old     (watsoc)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-18-2011, 9:22 AM Reply   
I used UShip and was very happy with the results. Saved me a ton of money in gas (having to go both ways) and wear and tear on my SUV. Make sure you get someone that has DOT tags and also insurance to cover your boat and trailer. In order to be considered with my boat you had to have these two things and everyone else got discarded.

Last edited by watsoc; 04-18-2011 at 9:22 AM. Reason: mispelling
Old     (snowslider76)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-18-2011, 9:28 AM Reply   
PM'd ya.

I used Uship with great results.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-18-2011, 9:36 AM Reply   
I've used them to haul boats probably 6 times, every time has been excellent.
Old     (fozz)      Join Date: Apr 2011       04-18-2011, 9:42 AM Reply   
My other concern is what do you use for covers for a haul as long as I'm going to have to make? The factory mooring cover will likely get destroyed over 2000 miles... Should I have the dealership shrinkwrap the boat prior to it being picked up by the shipper?

As far as the insurance goes, what do you ask to see to prove they have insurance? Being that I'm from Canada, I'm not sure what DOT tags do and why they are required.
Old     (RanchDweller)      Join Date: Jun 2010       04-18-2011, 9:48 AM Reply   
I just bought my boat sight unseen over the internet. It was 1100 miles away. I did all of the due diligence that I could. I would also include calling the local sheriff office with the boat hull ID and the trailer VIN number. They can run a check to make sure it is not stolen or anything fishy like that. The states public record division should be able to run the serial number of the boat to check for Liens.

I used Uship.com to get the boat from Georgia to Colorado. It worked perfectly. You say what you need shipped to and from and several shippers bid on it. You can ask them all kinds of questions. Make sure to have them send you a copy of their driver’s license and a copy of their shipping insurance. If they have a problem with that, take them off your list. Ask what their tow vehicle is. You can learn a lot from a shipper by their tow vehicle. I had one guy bidding that was towing with an old 1985 van. Scratch him off of my list. You only pay the website 10% down and once the shipper arrives at your door, you pay them the rest directly. It actually worked well. I had constant contact with the guy transporting my boat. He called every night to tell me how far he made it. The shipper also checked the trailer for road worthiness. Added a few bulbs, greased the wheels.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-18-2011, 9:56 AM Reply   
When you use Uship you are using a different carrier each time so you will want to ask them for proof that they are licensed, insured and bonded. I have used a company called RV Transport several times and have been very happy. Ask for Leah (503) 788-6430 x10. They might not beat Uship, cause Uship is just a service for carriers to get on and bid on it and typically you get someone that is looking to get back home and will give you a good rate. Just do your due diligence.

To ship into Canada you will need to have the dealer provide you with a "letter of no recall" for the trailer. It is free and they can get it from the manufacturer of the trailer. Yes I would definitely shrink wrap it. It will save you a bunch of money on the damage the cover might do and will keep the boat clean. Ask them to put a Dry-Z-Air in their too to absorb any moisture.

If you have any questions, let me know. I have shipped a bunch of boats up to Canada....

What are you getting?
Old     (watsoc)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-18-2011, 12:57 PM Reply   
DOT tags help to prove that they are legally allowed to commercially tow your boat in the US in case the shipper gets pulled over or stops at a weigh station. I have heard of horror stories in New Mexico where if they do not have this DOT tag and the boat is not registered to them that your boat and trailer will get impounded and it will cost a lot to get it out.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-18-2011, 11:29 PM Reply   
I used U-ship to get a boat from Texas to Orlando. It was great value and I got great service. Another good news story here for U-Ship
Old     (nelson)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-19-2011, 6:21 AM Reply   
Most of the carriers that are on U-ship are hot shot carriers most are good there are a few bad ones though. Ask the carrier for a copy of there FMCSA License. As for there insurance ask them for there certificate also have them add you as certificate holder. If your carrier has those items then you are good to go. If you are still unsure on the carrier you plan to use you can PM me there MC# (FMCSA) and I can run it through our system and see if there are any issues regarding the carrier.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-19-2011, 8:42 AM Reply   
Eric Nelson is spot on. It is important to not take other peoples references for Uship cause you will not be using the same carrier they did. Do your due diligence and you are good to go.
Eric who do you work for? I can do the same stuff as Eric if you need access to that info and he is not available. We can get you all there safety ratings, etc.....
Old     (nelson)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-19-2011, 9:16 AM Reply   
I am with Somerset Logistics. We have crossed paths a few times out on the river, If you see Matt over at PSB anytime soon tell him you heard his boat was stolen. He needs a good scare.
Old     (21vride)      Join Date: Jul 2010       04-27-2011, 3:02 PM Reply   
i put insurance on the boat , shrink-wrap is a must , and all went well Texas to new-york
Old     (jason95gt)      Join Date: May 2006       04-27-2011, 3:45 PM Reply   
Used them for a 26' pontoon and they were great. Even called during the delivery to let me(seller) know what was going on.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-28-2011, 5:38 AM Reply   
Instead of asking to be a certificate holder can you be added as an additional insured? In my industry this is a big step beyond certificate holder.
Old     (nelson)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-28-2011, 11:59 AM Reply   
Not that I am aware of on commercial cargo coverage. Biggest thing if something was damaged during shipment make sure you have it noted on the BOL. If damage is not noted on the BOL that is known as a clean BOL and a lot of carriers will hide behind the Carmack Amendment and then you are kind of up a creek without a paddle. 95% of the guys out there are great, but just like any industry you do have your bad ones.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-28-2011, 12:54 PM Reply   
just booked my MB from California to Il today through uShip.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-28-2011, 1:27 PM Reply   
How much was it from Cali to Iowa Ian? Are you having it shrinkwrapped?
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-28-2011, 1:39 PM Reply   
it was 1500 from Sac - Atwater - Illinois. Sacramento to Atwater to get shrink wrapped at the factory, then Atwater to Illinois. about 2400 miles total.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-28-2011, 2:00 PM Reply   
That is pretty good. Bumper towed right?
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-28-2011, 2:02 PM Reply   
yeah, i might have been able to do better, generally the best bids seem to come in after 3-4 days on the site and I only had it on there 24 hours. However 1500 seemed fair to me so I went ahead and booked it.
Old     (fozz)      Join Date: Apr 2011       05-03-2011, 1:10 PM Reply   
Eric, just sent you a PM.. Thanks for your help.

What have you guys been quoted for shrink-wrapping? I was quoted about $10 per linear foot.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-03-2011, 3:09 PM Reply   
$10 per linear foot is a good price considering you are just a consumer. Dealers will get it done a bit less than that, but $10 is a very fair price in my opinion.
Old     (fozz)      Join Date: Apr 2011       05-06-2011, 3:53 PM Reply   
Have you guys had better success with putting in a maximum price you want to pay or just letting the listing run open and reviewing all bids?
Old     (packrat)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-06-2011, 4:47 PM Reply   
Might check out Osborne Inboard Transport. There is an advantage to having knowledgeable people tow your inboard. Several things to consider when shipping an inboard with a tower. First if possible consider shipping with the tower up. Just ask some guys on this site about vinyl damage or gel coat damage from a folded down tower banging around during shipping. Second, be sure to buy and have an exact size spare trailer tire mounted on a matching rim to travel with your boat. This will save the driver time and also probably save you money too as he can get back on the road quicker. Have digital photos taken of the inside, outside, top and bottom of the boat and trailer prior to shipping. This might be hard, but well worth it if there are problems. Although you will pay more, there are some inboard shippers that will ship on a flatbed thus cutting down on trailer dings/chips, chips to the underside of the boat ect.. Just a thought anyway.
Old     (nelems)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-09-2011, 5:26 AM Reply   
This woman gave us a great price on a boat shipped from AL to WY. We will be using her on all of our long hauls in the future. She works with Uship also, 100% rating.

Debbie KMA Transport- 678-428-5584 email- Debjon0910@gmail.com
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-09-2011, 5:35 AM Reply   
Is Osborne still towing boats? I didn't realize they were still in business. My current experience with uShip isn't great. I've had 7-8 very positive experiences but this one isn't turning out so good. My boat was picked up Wed night and it's taking a full week to get here. Apparently the driver had to take the boat to Oregon before heading east so he could stop to see his family. Now, I don't have a problem with that except that it was not told to me upfront. Boat could have been here Sunday, but now I'm looking at Tues or Wed.
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-09-2011, 10:26 AM Reply   
Using your boat for a Mother's day excuse, huh? BTW I saw your boat in felony flats. It was stripped......... J/K......
Old     (illini88)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-09-2011, 11:10 AM Reply   
Good lord, towing that thing from Sacramento to Oregon and then to Central Illinois would be brutal.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-09-2011, 12:27 PM Reply   
Yeah I saw it over on the east side of town (Felony Flats) as well. I thought you said it was shrinkwrapped??????

JK
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-09-2011, 1:38 PM Reply   
felony flats, sounds like a nice place.
Old     (MariusTitulescu)      Join Date: Dec 2015       12-08-2021, 2:46 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by illini88 View Post
Good lord, towing that thing from Sacramento to Oregon and then to Central Illinois would be brutal.
Most likely. I wouldn't start that trip without some cargo insurance.