Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (timmay208)      Join Date: Jul 2016       05-31-2017, 2:42 PM Reply   
I have a 2008 Epic 23v that since ive had the boat has always had a fault for the Pitot, so been told that my boat does not even use that sensor but theres no way to get rid of the code. Seems strange to me that there would be a code for something the boat doesnt even use/need. Really would love to get the code gone. Had a local shop hook scanner and he said he was not able to disable it or clear it

I found a plug off the engine for pitot back at my engine and its not plugged into anything. Kinda annoying to have the system fault always come up when i turn the boat on. was hoping theres some way to fix it
Old     (TTyler89)      Join Date: Jun 2015       05-31-2017, 9:59 PM Reply   
I'm not sure there is a way to turn that fault off. I've noticed it on every mercruiser with smartcraft that I've ever run diagnostics on. Usually it's like I minor fault that shows on the computer but not on your dash or warning buzzer. Idk. If you figure it out let me know. You can clear it as many times as you'd like but the next turn of the key it'll return.
Old     (Stazi)      Join Date: Sep 2011       06-01-2017, 4:57 AM Reply   
If you can find out what the normal operatin resistance for the pitot would be, if it was installed, then you could find a resistor of the same size and make the ECU thinks it's there by wiring it to the connector you found for the pitot.
Old     (timmay208)      Join Date: Jul 2016       06-01-2017, 7:02 AM Reply   
Thats kinda what i was thinking, just no idea to find out the resistance. I have no warning buzzer just says system fault on the dash all the time
Old     (Stazi)      Join Date: Sep 2011       06-01-2017, 7:31 AM Reply   
Find someone that sells those pitots and take you multimeter down there and measure the resistance or call Mercruiser customer service and get transferred to a tech and ask them what the correct resistance should be.
Old     (timmay208)      Join Date: Jul 2016       06-01-2017, 8:14 AM Reply   
Yea i may have to do that, only thing is the plug has like 4-5 pins i want to say so not sure which ones ill need to put resistor on
Old     (Stazi)      Join Date: Sep 2011       06-01-2017, 8:53 AM Reply   
Are they all wired? You need to find a wiring diagram. Worst case just buy a pitot and plug it in if it's not too pricey.
Old     (timmay208)      Join Date: Jul 2016       06-01-2017, 9:07 AM Reply   
the plug is empty, ill get a picture tonight
Old     (meathead65)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-04-2017, 11:33 AM Reply   
I remember helping a customer with this issue last year. You'll need to go into the setup menu for your gauge, and in the speedometer section select "gps speed" as the input rather than the pitot sensor. The gauge will then stop looking for a signal from the pitot sensor and will stop tossing the fault code.

I'd have to dig thru the Smartcraft manual to be more specific, but you probably have the smartcraft manual in with your owners manuals.
Old     (timmay208)      Join Date: Jul 2016       06-04-2017, 12:17 PM Reply   
I do t have a manual for my boat. I didnt wanna get in to the settings and mess something up. My speedo works and my wake speed deal works to so dont wanna make something worse
Old     (meathead65)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-04-2017, 1:19 PM Reply   
So you want it fixed but don't want to fix it????

As Ttyler said, it is a "minor" fault code and shouldn't be throwing a constant code on your display. I see it on every smartcraft boat I put on the diagnostic computer, but only have seen it once on the dash display, and a little bit of poking around in the settings menu took care of it.
Old     (meathead65)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-04-2017, 1:20 PM Reply   
Can you post a pic of the gauge/display you have? I can probably email you the operators manual.
Old     (timmay208)      Join Date: Jul 2016       06-04-2017, 5:03 PM Reply   
Hope this works
Attached Images

Old     (meathead65)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-04-2017, 5:27 PM Reply   
Is that the only smartcraft gauge, or do you also have a smartcraft (Mercury) speedometer as well?
Old     (timmay208)      Join Date: Jul 2016       06-04-2017, 8:25 PM Reply   
All the gauges are the same style, the speedo has the smart tow option with a + and - for speed
Old     (timmay208)      Join Date: Jul 2016       06-04-2017, 8:26 PM Reply   
The one i posted is the one that shows the fault
Old     (timmay208)      Join Date: Jul 2016       06-06-2017, 7:03 PM Reply   
Anything else i can get that may help?