Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-08-2017, 8:10 AM Reply   
Maybe this a dumb thread here, but I remember when I buoyed my boat for the first time years ago, I woke up the next morning to find it had Floated a little down the way. It appeared I had not tied a proper knot. No damage done, just an early swim than I was expecting. So I've learned a few knots and probably overkill when I tie up anywhere, but i assume there are quick solutions already out there for quick tie up. Just curious what y'all are using. I've always used round bumpers at dock but my buddy had some flat ones that seem to hug the boat better. Then are there adjustable dock lines other than the bungee ones?? My new boat is going to be tied up to a dock this summer so just lookin for better options.

Last edited by hawk22; 06-08-2017 at 8:12 AM. Reason: Wrong spelling
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-08-2017, 8:19 AM Reply   
may be easier to put permanent bumpers on the dock if you're going to be tied up there all summer. I also keep a few round bumpers in the boat for when I tie up with another boat or visit a dock with no bumpers. put about 3 feet of rope on each bumper so you can adjust the height of them easily and tie to cleat on your boat.

gotta know a few knots. and know how to tie to a dock cleat.

put the bow toward incoming waves to minimize it getting beat up on busy weekends. or anchor the stern of the boat out a bit, then tie the bow to the dock so you can pull it in when needed.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-08-2017, 8:53 AM Reply   
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-08-2017, 8:55 AM Reply   
Damn it

I wish I could figure out how to embed a video.

But I have been trying to learn how to do this. My wife is not impressed LOL!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWYgcgkreoI
Old     (Shawn)      Join Date: Aug 2011       06-08-2017, 9:01 AM Reply   
THIS is how you do it...

Old     (Shawn)      Join Date: Aug 2011       06-08-2017, 9:03 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonblarc7 View Post
Damn it I wish I could figure out how to embed a video.]
In Youtube, click "Share" then 'Embed"...copy that link then in the forum post click "Insert Link" and paste that embed link there.

I use 15' 3/8" Dock Lines...learn the proper basic cleat knot and that is the best tired and tested method though the ages.

I would never leave bungees as an unattended tie up solution. When I do houseboat trips I set my large bumpers on the houseboat and tie the lines to the houseboat then use climbing carabiners to clip to the boat eyes for a quick release and reset.

Last edited by Shawn; 06-08-2017 at 9:11 AM.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-08-2017, 10:16 AM Reply   
Fail LOL
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       06-08-2017, 3:43 PM Reply   
I am personally a huge fan of the Exile Audio Buoy balls. They've saved my boat in times when regular Tampon looking bumpers would have surely not protected...

I recently bought a few of the Airhead bungee dock lines. they're not too expensive on Amazon and they hold the boat but have the stretch to let it move with the waves and not jerk on your cleats. they have loops on each end, so you can easily loop them through and back around a cleat. Or at least you can loop it around something and then through and around the cleat on your boat.

3 buoy balls, 2 bungee dock lines, no worries.

With some of my lines, I'll keep a handful of rock climbing carabineers with me. they're strong and easier than tying a knot. That said, I can tie a bowline knot in my sleep, so if I need a loop, that's it.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-09-2017, 8:59 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonblarc7 View Post
that's a man, baby!!!
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-09-2017, 9:04 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by trayson View Post
I am personally a huge fan of the Exile Audio Buoy balls. They've saved my boat in times when regular Tampon looking bumpers would have surely not protected...

I recently bought a few of the Airhead bungee dock lines. they're not too expensive on Amazon and they hold the boat but have the stretch to let it move with the waves and not jerk on your cleats. they have loops on each end, so you can easily loop them through and back around a cleat. Or at least you can loop it around something and then through and around the cleat on your boat.

3 buoy balls, 2 bungee dock lines, no worries.

With some of my lines, I'll keep a handful of rock climbing carabineers with me. they're strong and easier than tying a knot. That said, I can tie a bowline knot in my sleep, so if I need a loop, that's it.
That looks like a pretty safe setup as long as the Exile balls don't leave any marks on your hull.