Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (h20boy2)      Join Date: Aug 2011       07-28-2015, 5:53 PM Reply   
I have 2 Rev 10s running off a Syn 4 amp with a WS420SQ feeding the amp. This weekend I lost all base in my Rev 10s (highs still play). All my in boat speakers and sub still have bass but they are powered by a different amp. I have checked all settings on 420SQ and amp and there are not any problems. I also switched outputs on the 420SQ and confirmed that the problem is not in the 420SQ. So based on that I have to assume the problem is in the amp itself because I think the chances of both speakers losing bass at the same time is very slim. Short of rewiring the tower speakers to another amp to confirm the problem is with the amp, is there anything else I can do? And do amps typically lose just part of a frequency? I have checked all gains, crossovers, etc and don't see any problems. And I didn't change anything prior to this happening. Appreciate any help anyone can offer.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       07-28-2015, 6:33 PM Reply   
So if you place your fingers on the mid-bass cone, there is not excursion or vibration at all? Is the tower amp set to high-pass of full-pass? So you swapped the in-boat and tower RCA outs and the tower speakers still lacked mid-bass? Are you sure the 1X/10X switch is in the 1X position and didnt get bumped some how?
Old     (h20boy2)      Join Date: Aug 2011       07-28-2015, 8:32 PM Reply   
No bass whatsoever. Tower amp set to full pass and the 1x button didn't get pushed accidentally. Yes swapped in boat and tower RCAs from source (420SQ) and no difference. Yes I am stumped!!
Old     (redthumper9)      Join Date: Jul 2015       07-29-2015, 3:02 AM Reply   
Not sure, but if I'm not mistaken, you tower amp should be set to high pass. I realize the REV10's are capable of handling some bass, but pretty sure they should still be run in HP......just cross them over a little lower than say a REV8. Others with more experience will chime in, but sounds like the REV's are damaged?
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       07-29-2015, 4:23 AM Reply   
Next would be to check the impedance of each pod. If within reason, then wire a known good test speaker to chnl 1 of the syn-4 and then chnl 3 of the syn-4 just to see if that speakers has some mid-bass output. If the pods impedance is not within reason, then you would then need to start pulling components and testing individually. 400W rms full-pass to a speaker is a lot to handle. I suspect the ohm test of the pod is going to reveal something.
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       07-29-2015, 8:23 AM Reply   
Many think that because they have a 10-inch tower speaker that it can provide deep bass and handle the power of deep bass. Because you have a Wetsounds 10-inch Rev you simply have the best midbass available, but it's not acceptable in the case of any tower speaker that you can run fullpass for a number of different reasons.
So once you resolve this short term issue, switch over to the highpass mode at 80 Hz minimum or higher.

It would be unusual that an amplifier would lose only bass due to an internal defect unrelated to an external setting or signal. Maybe not impossible but definitely highly improbable. There are easy methods of testing the amplifier bandwidth. But for now, it is much easier to diagnose the speaker.