Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       06-24-2015, 4:35 PM Reply   
I've had this board for a while and always had a problem with getting bindings to sit flat on the board. Ronix Franks and Humanoid Odyssey bindings never sat right. So I decided to look more closely at it and found that the fast track actually is sitting higher than the rest of the deck, causing bindings to NOT sit flat.

You can see in the following 2 photos, it's impossible to get the level to sit flat on the board. It's either up on one side or the other due to the fast strack sitting above the deck.

So as you would expect, a boot sits the same way

Here is a perfectly flat boot:

Here is how that boot sits on the board:

The gap under the back of the boot is REALLY bad here.

Anyone ever have something like this happen? Find any solution? Board is probably not going to be able to be warrantied since it's a few years old (even though I just got it in late summer 2015) and been used on sliders
Old     (seth)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-24-2015, 8:54 PM Reply   
seems normal to me, even my slingshot bindings stick up a little. Can you feel it when riding? I cannot. When you are standing in them I assume they sit flat? You could try throwing a little shim under there if you can feel it when riding.
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-24-2015, 9:27 PM Reply   
If you bought it new and were the original purchaser (not second hand or from someone other than a dealer) you should still be under warranty. Slingshot will sometimes warranty boards that have been used in the park, it's kind of a subjective case by case basis I understand.... If you've slid all the way through the base, odds are you're not going to get warranty. Or say the damage you're trying to warranty was say a blown sidewall where you obviously cased it on an obstacle, not likely to happen.

If your fast track has bent or partially pulled out of the board due to a wreck, they may warranty it if you're still in the 1yr period. There were some fast track issues a couple of years back (like the 2011's when they first introduced it) so they may be motivated to satisfy customers still having issues.

Having said that.... I really wouldn't worry about that small amount of heel/toe lift. That is not a bad gap at all. Most boots eventually bend a little and wind up with some heel lift. Particularly bad if you ever accidentally catch a heel edge slam. Do both boots do it or just the one? To me that wouldn't be worth trying to warranty unless it was a pretty fresh board, I knew for 100% it was flat originally, and that it messed up during a wreck. If a new board came to me like that I probably wouldn't raise too much of a stink, only if I knew the condition of the fast track had changed due to something happening while riding.
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-24-2015, 9:33 PM Reply   
Like seth said though, that looks completely normal to me....
I'm honestly surprised your boots are still so perfectly flat. I typically wind up with some heel lift after a season of riding, and sometimes they really bend up after a hard crash. If out of warranty I will put them in a vise and bend them back with a big channel lock pliers.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       06-25-2015, 4:29 AM Reply   
It's more than noticeable when I hit a kicker. I can feel the wiggle in mid-air. I definitely need some kind of shim. For the most part it's no issue hitting rails.

When it's screwed into the board, the toe side of the boot sits flat and the heal side lifts up. I can see under the boot all the way up to the fast track.

I have 2 other boards here at my house. A humanoid 1up and a 2011 deluxe hybrid. Both are perfectly flat and have zero heal lift with these boots.

You shouldn't be surprised about the boots, Humanoid is built to last.

Also, I am not the original purchaser but it was only ridden by the original purchaser 2 times behind boat before I got it from them. For that reason, I don't think warranty is an option. I just need to figure out how to shim it I guess.

Last edited by boardjnky4; 06-25-2015 at 4:32 AM.
Old     (wazzy)      Join Date: Nov 2001       06-25-2015, 9:47 AM Reply   
Is the full length of the track above the deck, or just where your bindings are mounted?
I have seen some fast tracks start to pull away from the board.
Also look IN the fast track.... is it bent? This can cause wiggle too....
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-25-2015, 10:16 AM Reply   
I don't know if the board is supposed to be that way or not.

That said, I know that O'Brien has a slightly concave upper deck specifically to eliminate hell lift and the problem you are showing. I'm not saying this to try to convert you but I would hope Slingshot would see this issue and implement the simple fix that O'Brien (and i believe others) have done.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       06-25-2015, 10:48 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wazzy View Post
Is the full length of the track above the deck, or just where your bindings are mounted?
I have seen some fast tracks start to pull away from the board.
Also look IN the fast track.... is it bent? This can cause wiggle too....
Yeah, it's the full length. I don't see any bends at all.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       06-25-2015, 10:49 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshugan View Post
I don't know if the board is supposed to be that way or not.

That said, I know that O'Brien has a slightly concave upper deck specifically to eliminate hell lift and the problem you are showing. I'm not saying this to try to convert you but I would hope Slingshot would see this issue and implement the simple fix that O'Brien (and i believe others) have done.
In all fairness, this board is now 2 model years old and I'm sure that improvements have been made.

In all honesty, the way that wakeboard boots mount to the board SUCKS accross the industry. Like a snowboard binding, there should be 4 points where the boot mounts the board, with those points being closer to the heal and toe (respectively) than they are now. That would solve the heal lift problem.

Last edited by boardjnky4; 06-25-2015 at 10:57 AM.
Old     (TTyler89)      Join Date: Jun 2015       06-26-2015, 9:36 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardjnky4 View Post
In all fairness, this board is now 2 model years old and I'm sure that improvements have been made.

In all honesty, the way that wakeboard boots mount to the board SUCKS accross the industry. Like a snowboard binding, there should be 4 points where the boot mounts the board, with those points being closer to the heal and toe (respectively) than they are now. That would solve the heal lift problem.
It looks like JOBE's new evo setup mounts just like the snowboards with a puck and 4 bolts in the middle of the binding.
Old     (wazzy)      Join Date: Nov 2001       06-26-2015, 9:43 AM Reply   
I am guessing that they put an extra layer of glass or something to help hold that fast track into the board then. If you can measure the height difference, you could cut some shims out of a rubber material & see if that helps.
Sounds like your screws could be bottoming out too? You can add a lock washer under the head of the screw to space that up too.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       06-26-2015, 10:00 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wazzy View Post
I am guessing that they put an extra layer of glass or something to help hold that fast track into the board then. If you can measure the height difference, you could cut some shims out of a rubber material & see if that helps.
Sounds like your screws could be bottoming out too? You can add a lock washer under the head of the screw to space that up too.
Yeah, I think I'm going to find some rubber and shim the boots. The mounting point of the boots sit nice and tight on the track.

Anyone ever source a piece of rubber for something like this?
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       06-29-2015, 6:36 AM Reply   
Welp, this feels much better. Going to see how it works today at the cable park.

I used some 1/8" rubber, traced out what I needed, filed the edge closest to the fast track to taper it a bit and then glued it down to the board.

Last edited by boardjnky4; 06-29-2015 at 6:42 AM.
Old     (ladbg)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-19-2015, 5:49 AM Reply   
I have a 2014 Lyman that now has the same issues. I noticed mid-season my bindings were no longer sitting flat and that I was getting a lot of heel toe lift. I removed the bindings and checked the deck with a straight edge to discover the track is bending and pulling out. You could especially tell with the track nuts loose as crazy. So rather than shim my boots I hammered the track back down tight with a wooden dowel. This leveled things out considerably. Slingshot has issues with this design, the track is too high in the center of the board and it needs to be lowered to pull the bindings down tight.
Old     (ilboarder12)      Join Date: May 2009       08-19-2015, 12:06 PM Reply   
based on the recently released specs of the 2016 nomad, looks like slingshot is finally doing something about beefing up the track system. glad to hear after pulling out 6 tracks in the last 3 years.

http://www.slingshotsports.com/2016-Nomad#.VdSp75NVhBc
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       08-19-2015, 6:48 PM Reply   
Extremely frustrating. Why can no company make anything that holds up longer than a year? Argh
Old     (ilboarder12)      Join Date: May 2009       08-20-2015, 12:29 PM Reply   
aside from the track system, slingshot has been pretty bomb proof
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       08-20-2015, 5:18 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilboarder12 View Post
aside from the track system, slingshot has been pretty bomb proof

It's always something... With every brand. I agree though. I love my slingshot, but I can't afford to replace them every year.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       08-25-2015, 6:50 AM Reply   
This is the reason why I am riding a CTRL right now
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       08-25-2015, 7:02 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplej View Post
This is the reason why I am riding a CTRL right now
I'll probably be on a Humanoid park for cable next year... Just trying to get through the fall on the Slingshot.

Honestly, I only paid 100 bucks for it (never seen a slider, just a few boat sets). So I got my money's worth out of it. If I'd bought it new and paid full price for it, I'd probably be fuming.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       08-25-2015, 7:13 AM Reply   
They need to beef up the track and add teeth to keep the tracks from sliding. Otherwise they make some of the best equipment in the game.

My fast track started pulling when I popped my ACL. My brother's fast track started pulling up this weekend as well...
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       08-25-2015, 7:17 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplej View Post
They need to beef up the track and add teeth to keep the tracks from sliding. Otherwise they make some of the best equipment in the game.

My fast track started pulling when I popped my ACL. My brother's fast track started pulling up this weekend as well...
yeah, I'm not sold on the fastrack either... I really like Slingshot as a brand though. Made in USA, great attitude towards pushing the sport and supporting their athletes. The rest of the board is durable as hell.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       08-25-2015, 8:37 AM Reply   
Exactly why I love supporting them. Plus their boots are simply the best. Made in the burton factory.

Humanoids are made in the 32/etnies factory too btw. Usually when fitting snowboard boots you're either a 32 person or a burton person.

I have also been thrilled with my CTRL boards. Really different and also feel pretty bomb proof