Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (fouroheight68)      Join Date: May 2006       02-02-2015, 9:07 AM Reply   
So I have been using Lyft and Uber for a couple years now, and I always had great experiences, so I actually signed up to be a driver a couple weeks ago. I already work downtown Sacramento, and have a 45 min commute home stuck in traffic, so I decided to turn it on around 6 on Friday night. It was nonstop rides until I finally turned it off at 8:30 - I ended up meeting really fun people, having some pretty funny conversations, and I pocketed about $100 for about 2.5 hours "work". I turned it on Saturday, did a couple rides and made another $50 (all within a few miles from my house). I have a pretty good job, so don't really need the money, but I think it's pretty fun, and I've been putting the money aside for my wife and I do splurge on something fun. I decided I'm going to try to hit the Friday "pre drunk" crowds after work a few times a month. I am especially impressed with the tips - some of the people tipped the full value of the fare, sometimes $10 in just one tip. People seem to enjoy themselves, and appreciate riding in a new lexus versus a beat up taxi. Plus, I think I play pretty good music.

Does anyone else use Lyft or Uber? Do you have a preference? I think I'll sign up as a driver for Uber too, they offer $500 if you come over from Lyft. If you want to give it a try, you can use my code for $10 credit https://www.lyft.com/invited/JW8DTH

PS this isn't a promo or anything, I'm just trying to see who actually uses ride sharing platforms and what you guys think. My friends think I'm crazy to be a driver, but I've met some pretty cool people and I have a fun time talking with them. I wouldn't do this for a living though, that would be awful lol.

Last edited by fouroheight68; 02-02-2015 at 9:12 AM.
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       02-02-2015, 1:58 PM Reply   
I have used both services heavily, all over the U.S. as well as Tokyo (Uber only).

Now that I'm back in the U.S. I try to only use Lyft because I don't care to support Uber's business practices.
Old     (fouroheight68)      Join Date: May 2006       02-02-2015, 1:58 PM Reply   
This one works for $20 if anyone wants to use it! https://www.lyft.com/invited/STEVEN343965
Old     (Jmaxymek)      Join Date: Feb 2012       02-02-2015, 9:57 PM Reply   
I use Uber often down here at ASU as I don't have a car for myself. It's pretty convenient and I haven't had a bad experience with it! And yes, I sure do appreciate a Lexus vs. a Crown Vic. I haven't used Lyft simply because I downloaded Uber first and haven't had a reason to switch. Are there merits to using Lyft rather than Uber? I also caught a headline earlier that Google plans to roll out it's own version of this service, has anybody got info on that?
Old     (fouroheight68)      Join Date: May 2006       02-03-2015, 7:24 AM Reply   
I signed up for Lyft just cause it's easier (Uber makes me take my car to a mechanic and pay $50). Lyft is supposed to be more casual, like getting a ride with a friend, and Uber is supposed to be more formal (you sit in back, they open the door for you, etc).
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-03-2015, 7:31 AM Reply   
We have used Uber several times with good success in the Central Valley.