Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (canadasteve)      Join Date: Sep 2014       09-05-2014, 10:44 PM Reply   
Could I get some feedback on something I've been working on for a while with some guys. It's an app for boats, tow vehicles and all the things you do with them…or anything else. (iOS and Android) You can see it here. I used my wakeboard boat as the example - so it's totally applicable for feedback.

http://youtu.be/2lNStHlk8i0

If you're on this forum, I think you'll really love it and appreciate what it can do for you (and how hard we worked on this thing). I made a video because it's too hard to explain. Check it out....post some feedback. Cheers! :
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       09-06-2014, 4:00 AM Reply   
Seems quite nice in concept. I use Evernote for that function right now and it works but obviously is not optimized for this sort of thing. My notes tend to turn into a bit of a mess as you can imagine when I'm in the middle of a project or repair and haphazardly appending stuff to the bottom of what amounts to a long page of everything I've ever done to that particular vehicle. Taking notes on mechanical things in general (cars, boats, motorcycles, appliances, new projects even while in the concept stages) has really helped me though. When I'm in the moment and thinking through the problem/solution my mind is 100% convinced that I will never forget any detail of what I am doing. In reality, after a few months of working on a few of my other toys I invariably lose some of the detail. If I don't have notes and I need to reference something from that earlier project I have to recreate my mental state and go through the process again to try to remember those details ("I know I've been through this thoughtfully but why did I do it this way again?").

The functionality I see in the video demo looks great but of course the devil is in the details of the actual daily use of the app (stability, intuitiveness, functionality, etc) which is hard to get a feel for without using it for a while. I use an app called Shoeboxed for all my rental property expenses and I have a love/hate relationship with it. The feature list for it is just about perfect but in actual use I get so much bizarre behavior with the app and the web back end and so many great pieces of functionality are just poorly implemented that I'm always looking for an alternative product.

Your app could be nice for just about any guy that's into toys if it works as advertised and is stable. I could see it being useful for some of my friends who have large firearm collections. If the functionality isn't already there it seems that some sort of export (maybe to PDF?) functionality might be in order. I know it might be hard to flatten all of this sort of data into a flat, portable document but with so many mobile app projects being abandoned I'd personally be more comfortable investing/trusting all of my notes to it if they could be pulled out at any time. Plus I'd need a printout backup so I could reference the notes on my vehicles in a post apocalyptic world.

Last edited by Jeff; 09-06-2014 at 4:03 AM.
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       09-06-2014, 4:10 AM Reply   
Oh and I did download and signed up. I'll copy some of my Evernote junk into this app and see how it goes.
Old     (nailem)      Join Date: Apr 2011       09-06-2014, 5:42 AM Reply   
Thanks for sharing and creating. I just installed the app so functionality is unknown but from the video it looks great. I just Bought a Ram EcoDiesel and plan to do all my own maintenance. This will help with keeping my records. Cheers!
Old     (nailem)      Join Date: Apr 2011       09-06-2014, 6:02 AM Reply   
App crashes when I try to open it. I tried uninstall and installed again, same thing. Galaxy S4 Verizon.
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       09-06-2014, 6:37 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by nailem View Post
App crashes when I try to open it. I tried uninstall and installed again, same thing. Galaxy S4 Verizon.
As an IT director who oversees 500+ mobile devices (among many other things) and an amateur programmer, I feel sorry for anyone who has to develop for android. There are something like 18,000+ unique android devices (different screen sizes, different hardware, different buttons, etc) and they have a low adoption rate on OS upgrades. Also every oem puts their own nasty UI replacement on top of android (Moto Blurr, HTC sense UI, Samsung TouchWiz, etc.) to further complicate things. I have a hard enough time supporting the users on about 5-6 different android devices with each being so different than the next, I can't imagine trying to write an app that would work on all of them.

Last edited by Jeff; 09-06-2014 at 6:40 AM.
Old     (canadasteve)      Join Date: Sep 2014       09-06-2014, 7:34 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by nailem View Post
One of our guys has the same device. No issues. What OS are you on? We will see what the issue could be.
Old     (canadasteve)      Join Date: Sep 2014       09-06-2014, 9:12 AM Reply   
Nailem, Please Try it again. The update just went live on Android!
Old     (nailem)      Join Date: Apr 2011       09-06-2014, 11:21 AM Reply   
Fast response from Steve. I reloaded and it works now. Thank you. Can't wait to get my toys all loaded up.