Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Find A Third/Be A Third

Old     (grahamsp)      Join Date: Apr 2013       04-11-2013, 4:40 AM Reply   
I just moved to the Charlotte area (Fort Mill) and am looking for some friends to ride with. I have all my own gear (liquid force witness, shane bindings, 2 vests). I am a relative begineer. I can ride no problem, do grabs, a few inverts (tantrum, backroll), etc. I will def. pay for my share of the gas. It's starting to warm up, just looking to get out on the water. Need a pull.

Thanks,
Shawn
Old     (burban89)      Join Date: Nov 2006       04-15-2013, 7:12 PM Reply   
Hey bro give me call! 704-506-5700 or text me and we will make things happen. We do not care what tricks people can do as we just love the sport and like to ride and watch others ride. I live in Tega Cay so if you are in fort mill then you are real close by. I have had the boat out but havent boarded yet. Did some repairs and had to test everything out but it is all good now and its a go for riding.

I rode a witness for awhile then switched to Lyman 2 years ago. I just bought a Hooke to ride this year. So it is going to be interesting to see what happens. Hit me up anytime you are more than welcome out on the boat with us.
Old     (newmy79)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-16-2013, 1:56 PM Reply   
It's good to see this thread, I haven't been on WW in months but my wife and I are moving with our daughter to Fort Mill this July. Hoping to be close enough to Wylie to get some weekdays in there.

We'll need to look you folks up when we get down there.
Old     (burban89)      Join Date: Nov 2006       04-16-2013, 5:35 PM Reply   
Welcome to FM! It is a nice area and have a few different lakes to choose from based on what you like doing. Wylie is a great lake for weekdays and even pretty good on weekends.

My number is posted above, lets keep in touch and we can hook up when you get down here.
Old     (grahamsp)      Join Date: Apr 2013       04-18-2013, 8:07 AM Reply   
Hey man, awesome! I will definitely hit you up. I'll be around all weekend this weekend if you are planning to go out. The water is probably a little cold, but I'm down to ride.

Thanks,
Shawn
804-305-6138
Old    alanp            04-19-2013, 10:16 AM Reply   
ray(you responded to my moving to charlotte thread) i tried to send you a pm the other day but was unsuccessful. can you shoot me an email with your contact info. i also am looking at ft mill and tega cay and wanted to talk some things over with you. prsgtrman@yahoo.com

everyone else i am moving to the area on june 6th weekend. planning on keeping my boat at tega cay marina for the summer. looking forward to meeting you guys and riding a bit.
Old     (burban89)      Join Date: Nov 2006       04-19-2013, 5:49 PM Reply   
Alan,

How are you?? I just shot you an email but you can call me anytime as well. 704-506-5700

Sounds like if we can all get together we should have some great wakeboarding!
Old     (newmy79)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-24-2013, 1:46 PM Reply   
Looks like we could have a good group! Also check outwit her commodore yacht club or lake club marina, Tega cay is difficult to get to as there's only one road in/out really. We just talked to Commodore this week and inquired about dry dock storage since a majority of the developments in the area have HOA's with deed restrictions.

For those the two guys who moved and are moving soon, are you buying or renting for a bit and then Plan to buy?

We've been going back and forth but I am leaning towards renting now so we can really figure out where we want to be. We're coming from NJ so don't have the ability outside of realty sites and what our realtor sends us to look all around.
Old     (burban89)      Join Date: Nov 2006       04-26-2013, 9:19 AM Reply   
I have been in Tega Cay for 2 years and have no issues with the one way in and one way out. It is a total of 4 lanes so traffic moves pretty good. They are also about to work on the worse part and that is the light at 160 and gold hill right before Tega Cay.

I rented for 1 year and just looked around before I decided on Tega Cay then I actually rented in Tega Cay before I bought my house. I made a deal with the landlord to be there at least 6 months and then go month to month with a 30 day notice to leave. I was looking at foreclousres so I waiting on the right one and jumped.

Prices are still low but they are going up.
Old     (newmy79)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-26-2013, 4:41 PM Reply   
These damn HOA's everywhere are driving me crazy!

I was mainly talking out living outside of Tega cay and trying to drive in and use the marina when I said that before.

Is your home on the water? It sounds like you had a good plan. Take you long to close that foreclosure? A real nice house came up last night that is a stones throw from the lake, not waterfront though which is fine, but has a damn HOA like everything else. Realtor is going to look at it tomorrow for us, the wife got all googly-eyed when she saw it.
Old    alanp            04-27-2013, 5:55 PM Reply   
justin we are buying but my job/company pays for temporary quarters ( free rent and per diem) for up to 120 days so we are going to use that time to explore the city and see where we want to end up, and live for free haha. .

im thinking SC, tega cay, ft mill area, due to the much lower property taxes but the wife wants to end up closer to town. where are you looking? we are also toying with the idea of buying a house in town and a condo at the lake. we'll see. our move date is june 7th.

ive spoken with raymond a bit, we should all get together and ride. ill be de winterizing my boat in the next week so itll be good to go in june.
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       04-30-2013, 4:44 PM Reply   
hey, just moved from pgh pa and bought a house on the water at the end of the lake in sc. past lawsons marina. I have a 2012 enzo 244, we board, but surf as well. its just my wife and i, 30, and 37, and we are always looking to meet up. my email is dougrose1@hotmail.com or 412 848 4354. newmy 79 check our rock hill on the far back side of the lake, taxes are cheep and you can get a huge house. we just closed on a 4000 sq ft house with a beach and power, water for the boat, check out clear view, there is a house for sale there (private owner, all brick guessing 350k with a doc, across the street, hoa is only 600 a year, taxes are like 1700 a year.lol I am from the north and we pay that a month back home. good luck
Old     (newmy79)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-30-2013, 6:47 PM Reply   
Thanks Alan and Doug. We're looking at Fort Mill and Clover mainly due to the better school ratings. Rock Hill is nice but the school ratings are not good, and coming from the Northeast if a school in the south is a 4-5 then it's like a 1 in the NE. We've decided to rent for a bit so as not to jump into anything. That is an awesome deal your company is providing Alan! You are extremely lucky. We'll be down middle of July. My wife is a speech language pathologist and her school year runs until June 20th.

We cant afford a house on the lake, at least for what we've seen. My wife will be working PT when we get down there so our household income will mainly be mine, but I also don't want to get in over my head. I'm real interested in acreage also, I don't like being right on top of people in homes, unless of course you're on the lake and then you just hope your neighbors are awesome.
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       04-30-2013, 7:03 PM Reply   
we bought a house for 340k its a 1500 a month mortgage with 3 acres, all brick, bullt 10 yrs ago. i am not sure you budget, but you have many choices. rock hill is not that far off fort mill and tega cay. they are all the top three in sc. Rock hill is much larger, but depending on your location in rock hill, you have different schools. all my neighbors are doctors, lawyers etc etc and there children go to rock hill. we looked everywhere on the lake for 6 months just talk to some of the locals that have children in the school systems. good luck
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       05-01-2013, 4:22 AM Reply   
we have found that the hoa in the smaller, more custom housing plans are not policing (or care) about having a boat. My new home has a clause that states no boats, campers etc etc. there are 14 homes in clear creak cove, i asked all my neigbors and they all laughed. They all keep there boats (off season) in there driveway. my wife and i looked every weekend for 6 months before we bought. I cannot stand anyone telling me what i can or cant put in my driveway. We kept an eye out as to what peaple had in front of there homes. I have a great realitor if you guys need someone who can really narrow down your search. FYI, a lot of lake wylie's waterfront homes are in mud puddles. Some docks are in 2 ft of water and with the lake water table, it can move a ft or 2. let me know how we can help,
Old     (newmy79)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-02-2013, 10:58 AM Reply   
Wow Doug you and I might get along great! We think very alike, I too despise someone telling me what to do with my home or in my driveway.

PM me the realtor info if you wouldn't mind.

Our budget with just my salary is $300k, obviously more if my wife works more but she really wants to be able to spend the with the kids. $350k would be doable but the down payment and closing costs would put us in a very low cash on hand situation.

Are there developments I should look at in Rock Hill that you know of?

It sounds like you got an awesome deal. 3 acres would be perfect!
Old     (jcon44)      Join Date: Aug 2012 Location: denver, NC       05-02-2013, 1:02 PM Reply   
BTW to the OP, you are not a beginner if you can do any inverts IMHO.. Carry on
Old    alanp            05-02-2013, 7:04 PM Reply   
thanks for the info on rock hill. i just need to convince the wife that living that far out of this city is the way to go. our budget is between 500-650k there are a number of nice places we have viewed online. taxes in nc are ridiculous compared to sc. we really like to go out regularly, so proximity to bars and restaurants are high on our list. id also like to live in a golf community. we are 31 and 37 with no kids. i, also dont particularly like hoa's. see yall soon!.
Old     (burban89)      Join Date: Nov 2006       05-03-2013, 5:40 AM Reply   
hey guys lost track of this thread a little, sorry!

I do not live on the lake but I live near the Marina and a private beach here in Tega Cay. I hate it but they do not allow boats in the drive way which is stupid as hell. I did not know that when I bought a home here.

My foreclousre did not take long at all. The bank screwed up the paper work once so it did take 2 weeks longer than it should have. I am actually refinancing it now with New Penn Financial who is awesome to work with. If anyone needs a contact there I have one.

I agree Rock Hill Schools SUCK! I know I went to a few and they have not got better. Clover/Lake Wylie and Fort Mill/tega Cay are better in my opinion.

Hey Doug we need to meet up sometime, my number is 704-506-5700. I have rode a couple times but the weather has been crap lately! Shawn and I actually went out and had a set, water was chilly lol
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       05-04-2013, 2:23 PM Reply   
I worked with Linda Snipes at allen tate Rock Hill branch. She really took care of us. I went with SCBT bank, rates are dirt cheap, I am sure all the banks are close. Raymond, we are moving in tomorrow but I will def catch up with you guys.
Old    alanp            05-21-2013, 8:13 AM Reply   
boys im moving down the weekend of may 31st. see yall soon, lets do some riding.
Old     (newmy79)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-22-2013, 9:02 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanp View Post
boys im moving down the weekend of may 31st. see yall soon, lets do some riding.
Soon! Good luck with the move, we'll be down the week of July 15th.
Old    alanp            06-13-2013, 3:30 PM Reply   
got out on the lake on saturday. didnt ride and was in a friends boat. granted it was 2pm on a sat but it was pretty busy. gonna have to find some secret spots to ride at. my boat is still winterized, waiting to find storage to so i can take it out on the lake. lemme know if any of you guys wanna get up.
Old     (burban89)      Join Date: Nov 2006       06-14-2013, 5:06 AM Reply   
Dang man you havent found storage yet?
Old    alanp            06-14-2013, 9:31 AM Reply   
nah man. frustrating.
Old     (newmy79)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-14-2013, 2:05 PM Reply   
Alan where are you keeping your boat now? I am going to be in the same "boat" (pun intended) when we move down next month. We're renting an apt for a 3 month lease while we look for a house but I don't feel comfortable keeping my Supra in the complex. May look for just a self-storage facility or something. Called Lake Wylie Marine today and they don't dry dock inboard tow boats anymore (lol because their guys were ruining the running gear when getting the boats out, yikes!). We cAlled this place Commodore Yacht Club back in Early May and that looked promising but I'm not sure if they have anything left especially since we'll be down in the heart of the summer. Will still call them. Might be cool to join and meet some people. Pretty reasonable for membership and dry dock (well I think it's trailer storage).

I may just keep the boat up in NJ until I figure something out unless I find something. What kind of storage are you looking for? I'm actually surprised there aren't many marinas offering this service on Wylie. I need to find a good launch too. We're staying right off Rte49 right off the lake so Tega Cay Marina is real close. Saw some other launches on Google maps but one right by us had a real negative review. Argh!

Anyone from the area that can help steer us in the right direction? Looking forward to coming down and getting together with you folks. And finding some good riding spots. Any input is appreciated!!

How's the house hunting going Alan?
Old     (newmy79)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-14-2013, 2:25 PM Reply   
Just called Terry's Marina and they charge $2,200/yr for dry dock storage, WOW! Oh man what to do...That's a pretty penny.
Old    alanp            06-19-2013, 4:30 PM Reply   
justin i am keeping my boat in storage yard. i have called all the marina's and they are full or they want a year lease which i wont do b/c im going to keep my boat in my garage once i close on the house. so i called all the storage companies and tried to find a 10x30 unit and they are all full too. this town is ridiculous. SC doesnt have any covered storage facilities b/c they have to build facilities that will withstand 100+ mph winds that is one of the reasons for lack of covered storage. thankfully my boat is still shrink wrapped from the winter. ive resigned to not using my boat this summer and ive even debated selling it. i wasnt too impressed with wylie but i was there on a saturday, mid-day and it was a complete zoo.

we just signed a contract on a home in south park and we are closing august 30th. we are in a furnished studio/basement thats also in south park. where are you guys renting?

i considered moving down to sc or to the lake but we go out alot and we found that being closer to the city is going to work better for us.
Old    alanp            06-19-2013, 4:33 PM Reply   
just re-read your post and saw you are living down south. i would leave your boat up north imo unless you get some storage locked in. and if you get something locked in plz let me know.
Old     (newmy79)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-21-2013, 12:32 PM Reply   
I ended up reserving an uncovered spot in a storage facility close to where we are renting with plans to move it into a covered unit once it opens up. The lady I spoke with was extremely nice and real helpful, and it's no different than me trailer storing it with a cover on now like I do plus she said the spot is not in the direct sun so that's good. I too am disappointed at the options, I figured it would be a lot better. Hopefully when we find a place it will have a big enough garage that I can just keep it in there.

We're in Bexley Steelecroft right off 49. I figured Wylie would be crowded mid-day but its like the river we board on now, mostly ride in the mornings and late afternoons.

So you settled in Charlotte huh? Congrats! So I imagine no keeping the boat in a garage then if you're in a studio. Sell the boat? Drastic!
Old     (newmy79)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-23-2013, 7:04 PM Reply   
Alright fellas we are down here!

Took the Supra out today before I go back to work tomorrow. Had a blast! Put in on the SC side at Buster Boyd Bridge and stayed north. Man this lake is big and has a ton of little fingers. We're always going to be looking for a third now that we are new down here so if you're interested let me know. We should meet up Burban?
Old     (burban89)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-24-2013, 6:17 AM Reply   
Well we try to do every Mon and Thursday evenings and some every other weekend. It just goes with my schedule of getting my daughter.

Did you put in at T Bones? It can get a little hectic around there, you are very close to Copper Head Island to and it has nice ramps and a lot less people from what I can tell. It is almost directly across from T-bones.

You do not stay to far me as I am in Tega Cay. Most mornings and almost all weekdays you can find nice water. I use to ride north of TBones but I am on the south end now. Hit me up some time, I probably cant ride again till Monday as I am taking my old boat to a friends house to try and sell it in his front yard. Craigslist just isn't working!
704-506-5700 Raymond
Old     (newmy79)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-24-2013, 11:20 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by burban89 View Post
Well we try to do every Mon and Thursday evenings and some every other weekend. It just goes with my schedule of getting my daughter.

Did you put in at T Bones? It can get a little hectic around there, you are very close to Copper Head Island to and it has nice ramps and a lot less people from what I can tell. It is almost directly across from T-bones.

You do not stay to far me as I am in Tega Cay. Most mornings and almost all weekdays you can find nice water. I use to ride north of TBones but I am on the south end now. Hit me up some time, I probably cant ride again till Monday as I am taking my old boat to a friends house to try and sell it in his front yard. Craigslist just isn't working!
704-506-5700 Raymond
We did put in at Tbones and I can see that place getting a little hectic on a weekend but it was fine in the middle morning on a weekday. Ill check out copperhead island ramps, we actually took the boat back there and checked them out from the water. They are off Shopton road or do you take the McDowell nature preserve to get to them?
Old     (burban89)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-24-2013, 11:31 AM Reply   
Off of shopton not in the preserve. Weekends are crazy just due to how bad the water is right there. I lived 2 minutes from there for a few years and used that ramp daily lol. I may be out Fri evening and early AM Sat as my mom wants to keep my daughter friday night.
Old     (AdamTX)      Join Date: Jul 2013       08-09-2013, 7:38 AM Reply   
Hey y'all. Just moved to Charlotte from Austin, TX. Renting a house in Matthews for now. Got my boat in a storage in Tega Cay. Launched from Nivens Creek last weekend and it was a little nutty! Heading out this afternoon and hoping to find some good water. It was way too rough last saturday.

Right now it's just my wife and I and our 4 year old boy so we always have room for extra riders. Hit me up! Adam
Old     (newmy79)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-09-2013, 1:12 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamTX View Post
Hey y'all. Just moved to Charlotte from Austin, TX. Renting a house in Matthews for now. Got my boat in a storage in Tega Cay. Launched from Nivens Creek last weekend and it was a little nutty! Heading out this afternoon and hoping to find some good water. It was way too rough last saturday.

Right now it's just my wife and I and our 4 year old boy so we always have room for extra riders. Hit me up! Adam
Hey Adam welcome! We just moved here too about 3 weeks ago, still exploring Wylie and finding areas. It's me and my wife and our 2 yr old daughter. I haven't met up with anyone yet as schedules and weather haven't cooperated but would love to meet up with some folks. There's a ton of wakeboats on Wylie. Weekends are a little nutty late morning and mid afternoon but there's still coves that are good, it's just everyone knows about them!! Hahaha. Week nights we are finding are perfect. We'll be out Sunday if you are in the area, I'm hopefully meeting up with a guy named Jay that I've talked to on the Moomba forum.

Always open to meet up with new folks, need to find some like-minded friends in the area. We have a '08 white Supra 21V and are usually hanging around Crowders Cove and also like to hit up the sandbar right across from Tega Cay and in front of Lake Club marina. Right near where you put in at Nivens Creek.

If you see us pull up and say hi!

PM me and I'll give you my cell number.

Where's everyone else at that's been on this thread?????

-justin
Old     (burban89)      Join Date: Nov 2006       08-17-2013, 4:10 AM Reply   
I haven't been getting on the site as much lately but my number is posted up above. I am free every Monday and Thursday evenings as well as every other weekend. Like this weekend the weather has been crap! Also been doing upgrades to the SS. new stereo and all new ballast. Should be pushing 2500lbs or so.

On other days I have my 2 year old daughter, it is a little harder to ride as she does not want her daddy to get out of the boat lol! Would be game to drive or just hang out on the water, especially if you have kids.

I keep my boat in Tega Cay as well and since i live there I have a permit to use the boat ramps there.

Anyone can hit me up for a pull or if you need a rider.

Raymond 704-506-5700
Old     (AdamTX)      Join Date: Jul 2013       08-20-2013, 12:42 PM Reply   
I'm down to ride Wylie on weekdays for sure. My boat is getting some work done at the moment so we haven't been out lately. If the damn rain stops we all need to get together and hit it! Text me anytime. Adam 210-five five seven-9560
Old    alanp            08-22-2013, 7:32 PM Reply   
hey guys- i havent ridden once this year hoping to keep that streak alive haha.

justin i sent you a PM( i think i did anyway). im open to ride just about any time. days are getting shorter if anyone goes out and needs a 3rd shoot me a text. 704-497-8518. my boat will be up and running soon, i close on my house next week and will have a place to store it. FINALLY
Old     (newmy79)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-24-2013, 7:21 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanp View Post
hey guys- i havent ridden once this year hoping to keep that streak alive haha.

justin i sent you a PM( i think i did anyway). im open to ride just about any time. days are getting shorter if anyone goes out and needs a 3rd shoot me a text. 704-497-8518. my boat will be up and running soon, i close on my house next week and will have a place to store it. FINALLY
I got no pm from you Alan. Congrats on closing! We're heading out tomorrow around 11 or 12. I'll send you a pm with my cell #.

Ray, we have a two yr old daughter as well, and now my wife is pregnant so it's only me riding which means I am done after 2 sets or so.. You're more than welcome. What weekends do you normally go out? I know you said every other I believe before.
Old     (burban89)      Join Date: Nov 2006       08-25-2013, 8:42 PM Reply   
I had my daughter this weekend, so every other one from that. I also have her every tuesday and wednesday but she likes being ont he boat. Not sure if I can wakeboard with her in the boat but I am game to go out, drive, etc.

Going to try and ride Monday and thursday this week.

hit my up, 704-506-5700
Old     (newmy79)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-29-2013, 7:26 AM Reply   
Alan, Adam, Ray or anyone else we'll be out this weekend. Met up with some folks who my wife met through her work, chilled at the south sandbar and had a good time.

If you'd like to join us this weekend let me know.

Justin
60nine-six9four-6two0five
(Sorry for the encrypted number)
Old     (ronca)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-29-2013, 9:54 AM Reply   
Hey gang! A group of us decided to grab a house on Lake Wiley for the weekend (up on the Northeast side). We rented a 24' cruiser with the house that we'll be running around on, but a couple of us are riders (2 of us own X-Stars back home, so the cruiser is just not cutting it!) and would appreciate grabbing a pull from some of the locals. We have our own gear and would pay for gas of course. Shoot me a text or give me a shout. We'd love to meet up. Thanks!
--Jay
(813) 245-2675
Old     (AdamTX)      Join Date: Jul 2013       08-29-2013, 10:33 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmy79 View Post
Alan, Adam, Ray or anyone else we'll be out this weekend. Met up with some folks who my wife met through her work, chilled at the south sandbar and had a good time.

If you'd like to join us this weekend let me know.

Justin
60nine-six9four-6two0five
(Sorry for the encrypted number)
Right on. We're headed to the beach this weekend but definitely ready to hook up with more folks soon. Next week we should be down any time!

Sent from my ADR930L using Tapatalk 2