Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (the_fish)      Join Date: Jun 2009       07-12-2012, 4:20 PM Reply   
He probably has one of the most difficult jobs in the world to execute perfectly. Does he just give it a guess? Have a trick list for each rider? Or is he just that good? Hard to imagine he is right 100% of the time being that he is announcing tricks from a tower as much as a few hundred feet away from the rider.
Old     (irishrider92)      Join Date: Jun 2009       07-12-2012, 4:41 PM Reply   
I'd say he know every rider's run in advance on a sheet making it easier, and then calling it based on what's being done on the water. All competitive riders go out with a plan of some sort and then change it if they have to. That's why sometimes you'd hear "...blah blah....toe 5. He was probably going for a 7 but just got caught up..." etc
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-12-2012, 4:53 PM Reply   
Dano's been in the industry a long time and has seen every trick there is. Difficult job, for sure, but he has so much fun doing it. He is the MANO.
Old     (alevitt)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-12-2012, 5:01 PM Reply   
A rider's tricks aren't written on a sheet, but honestly if you've seen to one pro tour stop you've seen them all. Most of the riders have been throwing the same tricks for years.
Old     (the_fish)      Join Date: Jun 2009       07-12-2012, 5:19 PM Reply   
I know he's been around for a long time, but I don't see how he could tell if its a fs or bs spin on mobes that are thrown down at the ends of a run. I would have to think some of the time he just gives it his best guess knowing that nobody is going to call him out on it.
Old     (JohnP)      Join Date: Mar 2012       07-12-2012, 5:52 PM Reply   
Riders do submit a tentative trick list, but most guys do almost the same run every weekend anyway. I think Dano is a better show skier and barefooter than wakeboarder! lol
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       07-12-2012, 7:30 PM Reply   
Dano really is the Mano. I couldnt call half the stuff he does, or keep it a third as entertaining. He deserves way more respect than he gets.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-12-2012, 10:41 PM Reply   
He's seen their runs, they rarely change them up, and he watches them practice. Combined with the experience, it's not that hard. If you sit there and watch qualifiers you can pretty much guess their runs the next rounds.
Old     (BamaLurker)      Join Date: Dec 2011       07-12-2012, 10:45 PM Reply   
I agree w ith Adam. Seen one; seen um all.
Old     (Readyaimfire)      Join Date: Jun 2012       07-12-2012, 11:05 PM Reply   
If you've been around the sport long enough it's easy to tell what the tricks are. Not saying I could hype the crowd, but I could call the tricks out for sure.
Old     (alevitt)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-13-2012, 9:37 AM Reply   
Just re-reading my post. I didn't mean any disrespect to Dano by any means because he's one of the best hype announcers in all of action sports. But if you're watching the same riders week in and week out, you get a pretty good feel for which tricks they throw. How many years has Phil Soven had a Dum Dum, Nose Grab Skeezer 5, Nuclear Toeside Backroll to Blind, Nose Grab Back Mobe and Whirly Dick in his run?
Old     (austin)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-13-2012, 2:10 PM Reply   
I don't think he gets every trick 100% correct. Though in a lot of the videos it sounds like there's two announcers that trade off calling tricks and sometimes switch in the middle of a run, so maybe it's "the other guy" who messes up sometimes.

But, yeah, it's just something that comes with experience. Enough time spent watching the same tricks makes them very familiar. When I started watching wake videos online less than 3 years ago I couldn't identify anything more than a 360 or an invert with a 180 at best. Now, I can call most tricks in any given video that I watch. I do much better on videos shot from the boat since I've seen way more of those. I'm not as used to seeing tricks from the side or back and can't call those as easily. But I've definitely seen enough contest-winning runs from Harley and Phil over the last couple years that I could probably call a run by either of those guys from 500 yards away without missing a trick (might be exaggerating about the distance lol).
Old     (gnarslayer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-13-2012, 2:26 PM Reply   
Dano is definitely a gnarly dude! i love that guy.

there isnt a single rider that writes down any sort of trick list, so he is just calling what he sees. every so often he will get a trick wrong when someone is all the way down the lake, but he is usually about 99% correct.

dano puts in alot of work at the stops, he knows almost every rider, and is constantly announcing throughout the day. texas stop is brutal due to the heat

super nice dude for sure
Old     (strife)      Join Date: Feb 2010       07-15-2012, 9:44 PM Reply   
If you want to see something impressive ask Dano to trick ski or.. and I almost forgot..yo-yo.