Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       12-20-2010, 2:22 PM Reply   
Hey guys.... Just figured I'd throw this out here before I e-bay. I've got the tuner from my '06 F250 6.0 diesel. It's a Diablo Sport Predator with three stages. 1) 40hp, 100lb/ft torque 2) 65hp, 155lb/ft torque and 3) 100hp, 198lb/ft torque. From the time the truck was new I ran the 65hp economy mode and picked up about 1-2 MPG plus some extra go. It worked great. The cheapest I found it was $275 + tax and shipping. I'd sell it for $200 shipped anywhere in the lower 48. Let me know if you're interested.

If you're going to post and say that the 6.0 is junk, or that you should never put a programmer on it, then save your breath (er, um typing).

I've also got a stock set of tire cables for the 20" wheels. I never used them. I think I paid about $150 for them. I'd sell them for $75 + shipping on those. They're kinda heavy. Maybe cheaper.... Make me an offer.

Thanks guys...
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-20-2010, 5:08 PM Reply   
that 6.0 is junk, and you should never put a programmer on it

sorry, could not help it.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       12-20-2010, 5:30 PM Reply   
I knew it was coming. I should have just said it myself. Ha, ha, ha.
Old     (deltawake)      Join Date: Sep 2004       12-20-2010, 8:09 PM Reply   
Hey Evan,

I have an '06 F250 Diesel. 116K miles. Does the tuner adversely affect the motor in any way? How difficult is it to use?

Thanks, Peter
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       12-20-2010, 9:46 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltawake View Post
Hey Evan,

I have an '06 F250 Diesel. 116K miles. Does the tuner adversely affect the motor in any way? How difficult is it to use?

Thanks, Peter
Your motor should handle just a generic tune like that fine, but you are real close to needing to put head studs in the motor. With a tuner, you also need at least a boost and EGT gauge to make sure you dont blow up your turbo or melt your motor. An exhaust would also be beneficial and help keep your EGT's down, and at that point an intake would be great to keep it breathing efficiently.
With more power comes more efficiency if you can keep your foot off the throttle your milage will go up. You will notice a HUGE difference in response and power.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       12-21-2010, 12:26 PM Reply   
It installs in less than 5 minutes, and I saw no adverse effects on the motor. I would stay away from the full power tune unless you're going to free up flow in other places, but I ran the mid level tune for 65k without any issues. That said.... it is a tuner. It does give a significant improvement in power and I couldn't guarantee that it wouldn't have any adverse, long term, effects. There may be a few guys on here that have run them on their trucks for longer that have some input.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       12-21-2010, 1:33 PM Reply   
Head studs will be the biggest issue, you could get away with running it without gauges but you run the risk of pushing the motor too hard and melting it or blowing your turbo
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       12-21-2010, 4:33 PM Reply   
Eh... I always felt like this was a simple judgement issue. I knew I was running the tuner and could push the truck harder than intended from the factory. I just backed out of the pedal a bit on long climbs. The only time you'd have an issue is if you're pulling a heavy load acting like you're a bada$$, passing people up grades with your boat like it's a Ferrari.

Yes.... in the extreme you can cause problems. If you take it easy the tuner will allow slightly healthier fuel mixtures and will keep EGT's in check.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       12-21-2010, 7:54 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by guido View Post
Eh... I always felt like this was a simple judgement issue. I knew I was running the tuner and could push the truck harder than intended from the factory. I just backed out of the pedal a bit on long climbs. The only time you'd have an issue is if you're pulling a heavy load acting like you're a bada$$, passing people up grades with your boat like it's a Ferrari.

Yes.... in the extreme you can cause problems. If you take it easy the tuner will allow slightly healthier fuel mixtures and will keep EGT's in check.
gonna have to disagree here. I have had to step off the pedal when I didnt think I needed to due to the EGT's getting too high.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       12-21-2010, 8:19 PM Reply   
A programmer and guages should be done at the same time. High EGT's destroy diesel engine parts FAST! They have to be monitored!