Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 06, 2008

Old     (jaybee)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-25-2008, 9:27 AM Reply   
Just curious what peoples opinion are. i am looking into getting into a mastercraft x-2 and looking at a 07 leftover vs a 09(although I think the dealer is pulling my chain with the numbers he is throwing around) and the 07 has the crusader engine which I thought I had read was a very good salt engine vs a 09 with the MCX.

Thoughts, Opinions?

Thank You
Old     (02wakesettervlx)      Join Date: Jun 2001       09-25-2008, 11:50 AM Reply   
The Crusader is the salt water engine, and the MCX is a freshwater engine.
Old     (davomaddo)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-25-2008, 11:51 AM Reply   
Good question. I was wondering the same thing.
I would also like to know which motor would be easier to service. IE - is it easier to find mechanics who are experts on the Crusader or the Indmar MCX. I guess it might depend on where you live and what machanics are around.

I believe MC got rid of the Crusader engine very shortly after Indmar came out with their own Salt Water engine upgrade/version.
Was that decision made to switch away from Crusader based on the Indmar engine being better? Or, was it primarily so that MC only had to work with one engine manufacture?
Old     (davomaddo)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-25-2008, 11:52 AM Reply   
Shawn,
The MCX comes in a Salt Water version.
Old     (02wakesettervlx)      Join Date: Jun 2001       09-25-2008, 11:55 AM Reply   
It wasn't specified in the original post. In 07, the Crusader was the salt water option. I would venture to guess that the Crusader would be more readily serviced, especially if you live near salt water.
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-25-2008, 12:05 PM Reply   
What do you mean by left over - an 07 with no hourson it? Then I would think the cost difference between the two boats would answer that question. I assume the 07 is quite a bit cheaper.
Old     (jaybee)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-25-2008, 12:29 PM Reply   
Yes the 07 is a lot cheaper (only has about 6 hours on it) but they have not said whether or not they will take a trade whereas the people with the 09 have said not only will they take the trade but they will give me a fair price on it and have put it in writing so it looks like i may be picking up a 09 x2 ss this weekend unless the people with the 07 get back to me and are willing to give me fair market value for my boat but i really do want the 09 and would only be about 5k more.
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-25-2008, 1:45 PM Reply   
I have gas money either way you go.
Old     (jaybee)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-25-2008, 1:59 PM Reply   
hahaha no doubt. Looking like it is going to be the 2009 X-2. As long as they keep true to their numbers I will be one happy camper on Saturday.
Old     (davomaddo)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-25-2008, 3:30 PM Reply   
That should be a great boat.
What made you choose the MC X-2 SS over Malibu or Natique?
Old     (bullit4888)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-25-2008, 4:04 PM Reply   
Crusader is better for the saltwater environment for sure. They only make engines for saltwater use. If that doesn't convince you I ordered my 06 X15 with the saltwater MCX. The factory put three of those engines in my boat and couldn't get them to stop over heating. They finally put a 6.0L crusader in and I've had very little problems. Maybe they've fixed the overheating problems but that's my experience
Old     (davomaddo)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-25-2008, 4:22 PM Reply   
That sounds like a full summer worth of problems or more.
Even if it is no cost to you, the BS and not being able to use your boat must have sucked.
Who services your Crusader??
Old     (jaybee)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-25-2008, 4:44 PM Reply   
saltwater i think they have fixed the problem already as i know a few people were having that problem. Dave, I guess i am just a sucker for the pickle fork. If they try and jerk me around though i am going straight to Southeast Correct Craft and then Malibu. i actually looked around for information on the salt water Malibus but could find absolutely no information, except for what people posted in the salt water thread on here, not even on their web site. I also am going with mastercraft as they have salt water branded boats so there can be no warranty issue due to salt water issues.
Old     (davomaddo)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-25-2008, 5:53 PM Reply   
Makes sense. MC has definitely made a committement to the Salt Water market which is great to see.
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-26-2008, 5:39 AM Reply   
Pickle - I didnt like it until I rode in it, man thats nice! I dont think Bayarea will jerk you around - they are kinda pushy, but Im sure they are pretty straight up.
John - you get Jays text? We need to borrow your truck tonight...
Old     (mc_x15)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-26-2008, 5:40 AM Reply   
My 08 X-15 SS had a lot of overheating problems with MCX in it. We came to the conclusion something (metal shaving, debris, etc) must have been stuck somewhere in the engine that was restricting water flow. One day it just stopped and havent had a problem for 50 hrs. My MC dealer was very good with fixing it and dealing with all my B1tching.
Old     (1boarder_kevin)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-26-2008, 3:52 PM Reply   
no issues with my x2 mcx ss after the first season.

isn't crusaider made by pcm. I could be wrong but I thought I heard this
Old     (eyekahn)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-29-2008, 10:32 AM Reply   
Crusader hands down.