Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 11, 2007

Old     (macanudo247)      Join Date: Apr 2006       11-20-2006, 3:57 PM Reply   
Hey guys, im looking at Santa Barbara as a possibility for college and was just curious if there was much wakeboarding goin on around there around there? Yes i know its so-cal so theres gunna be wakeboarding im just wondering if it has a big community? Any info would be great. Thanks
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       11-20-2006, 4:11 PM Reply   
SB is about two hours from the So cal scene of Canyon Lake, Elsinore, and Castaic. UCSB has a team which makes trips north up to Lake Nacimiento which is a three hour trip. They do it but there is a ton of driving to wakeboard near SB. Santa Barbara is however one of the sickest palces in the world for lifestyle and random fun.

Look a little further north at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo. The school and town are sick, the closest lake is 15 minutes (with two more an hour away) and they have the largest most well organized wakeboarding club in California. The Central Coast Association of Wakeboarders is awesome, has over 100 members, goes to the lake almost every weekend, has multiple boats, goes snowboarding to Mamoth (in a month!!) for a week & does a 3 houseboat trip to Shasta every year. Oh yeah & CCAW is legit too, they are an independant non-profit organization.

Heres an article from the school paper last year.
http://www.mustangdaily.net/media/storage/paper860/news/2005/10/18/Newslocal/New-Wakeboarding.Club.Flying.High-2098946.shtml?norewrite200611201905&sourcedomain=w ww.mustangdaily.net

& the official site.
http://ccawakeboarders.com/
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       11-20-2006, 4:21 PM Reply   
Wow, are there hot girls in SB. My girlfriend (now wife) went there. I used to love going to visit not to mention going to her sorority functions.

Lots of talent....

Hope my input helps. Ha, ha, ha.
Old     (scws)      Join Date: Sep 2004       11-20-2006, 4:30 PM Reply   
Bryce,

You can't go wrong with either school for education and location...and both are great for lifestyle. Regarding wakeboarding, Cal Poly is the better answer. I went to UCSB (wake was just starting to happen)so my info may be outdated, but Stephan is right on in terms of SLO for your wake club/team.

Evan is right regarding the ladies at UCSB...I met my wife there as well.

Josh
Old     (isler)      Join Date: Apr 2003       11-20-2006, 5:37 PM Reply   
I live in Santa Barbara right now... been here going on 5 years. Just like Stephan said, if you want to wakeboard, be prepared to drive. Nacimiento is probably the closest NICE lake to ride around here. You can go south to Piru or Castaic, but better heading north.

The town here is awesome... I love it. Great party scene, lots of fun. It's beautiful here. It was 80F here today. Almost never rains. Many different colleges here (UCSB, City College, Westmont, Brooks, Antioch). I would call it a college town except there's so much more than that. It's sandwiched between the mountains and the ocean. Surfing is big here. I get up in the mountains all the time, go off-roading and stuff.

Downside is that it's quite expensive to live here. Renting is expensive, but buying is real expensive! It's cheaper out in Goleta, near UCSB, but still not cheap by any means.

Anyways, you were asking about the wakeboard scene here. It's pretty limited. Other than that, it's awesome! I'm not looking forward to leaving here.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       11-20-2006, 5:47 PM Reply   
like everyone said, the wakeboard scene is fairly limited. you do have to drive a ways to get anywhere for boarding. the chicks around here are incredible though. I have worked in SB for over 7 years, and damn! pretty amazing town, but very expensive to live. if you were looking for a place to go to school, and get lots of riding in, listen to Stephan. there are alot more options in SLO town.
Old     (macanudo247)      Join Date: Apr 2006       11-20-2006, 5:59 PM Reply   
Well not that im actually goin to choose a college for it wakeboarding scene but... I want to go into product and brand marketing and also get a minor in digital media and photography. What are my cali options with wakeboarding? Thanks for all the help guys, keep it comin
Old     (isler)      Join Date: Apr 2003       11-20-2006, 6:36 PM Reply   
Bryce-

It might interest you to take courses at Brooks Institute of Photography in Santa Barbara. It's one of the top photo schools in the world, period. I've been at Brooks for awhile. Perhaps there's a way to take course at both UC and Brooks... it's worth looking in to. Cali options for wakeboarding are to hook up with some buddies locally, and set up weekend trips. That's the best way to do it... you're not really going to be able to wakeboard after class here. Maybe on a day off, you can cruise down to Piru to ride. But it's really not a half-day thing here. If you're into wakeskating, though, Santa Barbara has a LOT of potential for winching. I've been wanting to do that here for awhile but haven't done it yet.
Old     (jrad)      Join Date: Mar 2004       11-20-2006, 7:39 PM Reply   
yo brice, i went to santa barbara city college and was on the ucsb wake and ski team. awesome group of people, you will have a blast. it just sucks how far the lake is away. but their are committed riders who ride almost every weekend. I however last year switched to cal poly and am an officer in the Central Coast Association of Wakeboarders. we make many trips to the lake and are all about enjoying wakeboarding for what it is. if you have any questions about either school, im sure i can answer them.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       11-20-2006, 8:11 PM Reply   
Officer Shaggy: What up!!!!!
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       11-20-2006, 9:08 PM Reply   
In four years up there I think I wakeboarded once while in school. I pretty much only rode when I was on break at home in SD. There are so many other things to do there that are a lot less of a hassle.

Remember that SLO is a completely different lifestyle so you need to take that in account. Unless you are absolutely addicted to wakeboarding I would choose Santa Barbara. Besides, when I was in college I was more concerned with affording a couple of beers. Not sure what I would have done to come up with gas money!
Old     (sbboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2003       11-20-2006, 10:17 PM Reply   
Hi Mike :-) Glad we live in the same town yet never hangout. Let's get a beer soon!

Like everyone else has said, it's an awesome town! But.. plan to do lots of driving if you want to wakeboard.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       11-21-2006, 10:19 AM Reply   
Holy crap, Bethany are you alive?? What the hell are you up to? Are you going to be in Mammoth December 18-23 perhaps, I know you live up there.

SLO & SB are different for sure. But SLO has gotten so much cooler in the last 5-10 years. Much less emphasis on Agriculture nowadays. We are one of the top ranked business & architecture & engineering schools in the nation. Yes SB girls are pretty hot but SLO girls are right there with 'em. The only problem with the girls in SLO is that the Rod(Jared above) pulls the ladies like they are going extinct. R Kelly talked about ho's in different area codes, Rod has 'em on different blocks. One starts trippin, he just walks around the corner. Just don't ask him for advice on Stats, haha sorry Rod I couldn't resist. We shall ride Saturday.
Old     (ronskal)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-21-2006, 11:36 AM Reply   
Great town, forget boarding you will not miss it!
I used to live south of SB and got up there every chance I could. The babes are great, I dated a girl from there for 3 years.

There are dedicated bicycling trails around UCSB.
If you like cycling, it's very good although the traffic can be trouble.

Enjoy it, you are lucky.
Old     (sbboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2003       11-21-2006, 7:37 PM Reply   
Hi Stephan! I am alive and well. Taking 17 units and working almost full time at Bacara :-). Trying to get out of school this decade. I will be graduating this spring. I imagine we will have a huge graduation party, so you will have an excuse to come up!

I'm not sure the next time I will be in Mammoth. Pat has moved down here so there has not been that many trips. But none the less we try to make it up as much as possible. Got the June pass again, I will let you know if we make it up there during that time. I would love to catch up!]

sorry for the hijak!
Old     (fouroheight68)      Join Date: May 2006       11-22-2006, 9:09 AM Reply   
Move to Santa B! The STD capital of the world!!!
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       11-22-2006, 10:04 AM Reply   
Bethany - what do you do at the Bacara? I work in sales at the DoubleTree down the road from you.
Old     (sbboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2003       11-22-2006, 11:36 AM Reply   
I work in the spa. Love getting free massages for training of course. How are sales going for you this time of year?
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       11-22-2006, 11:42 AM Reply   
wow. you must be busy. the spa there kicks butt. I wish ours was that nice. not even close. . we are swamped like always. gonna be sold out the next few nights. I am working on negotiations for next year, so this is actually a really busy time for me. been looking forward to the break this week. have a good thanksgiving!
Old     (rideit4life)      Join Date: Dec 2005       11-22-2006, 1:06 PM Reply   
Bryce,
Cal Poly has a club wakeboard/waterski team that is pretty bad ass. Not too bad for a school located within miles of the beach I must say.
Old     (jonb)      Join Date: Oct 2003       11-24-2006, 5:56 PM Reply   
Isla Vista is an amazing place. Not much of any help , but if you like to party go to Santa Barbara.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       11-25-2006, 12:23 PM Reply   
IV is fun to visit. I could not stand living in that dump. Although it is fun to see what appears to be beer bong trees, I guess they grow pretty well there...