Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through May 13, 2004

Old     (actiondcpd)      Join Date: Apr 2003       05-06-2004, 3:05 PM Reply   
I've got a trailrite trailer for a SAN and am looking for suggestions on the best way to mount some additional wheels on the prop guard. I'm also trying to decide if I should weld or bolt them on. The trailer is galvanized so I'd love to minimize the amount of coating I have to re-do. Can anyone give me some suggestions on the strongest way to mount wheels using the pictured prop guard. I've seen many other people do this, but the examples I've seen have different prop guards to start with.

Here is an example of a decent way I've seen with a similar guard. Thanks to whoever's picture this is.

Old     (wake_fun)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-06-2004, 5:04 PM Reply   
That's mine
It's a DHM trailer. They sell those wheels if you wanted to do it yourself. The wheels also have a grease fitting on them.
http://www.dhmenterprises.com/

trailer
Old     (levi)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-06-2004, 6:16 PM Reply   
I called on them...they wanted $151 plus shipping. I wasn't so quick to order them after I found out the price. But then again I don't absolutely need them like some w/ inclinded driveways and such. I still want to add some, but I may just have a friend fab some up for cheaper.
Old     (superairdawg)      Join Date: May 2003       05-07-2004, 5:11 AM Reply   
Hey Actiondcpd, one other thing you might consider is if you've got a good bit of extra space between the prop and the guard (like a lot more than an inch) is to have some of rear drops removed to bring the whole assembly up a tad higher. Mine sits ridiculously low also and I was looking around for wheels, but in talking to the folks at Ramlin they told me an inch of clearance is all you need and if I was in the neighborhood they would bring my guard up some. Of course, I'm nowhere near their facility but I'm still thinking it might be a good alternative.

Old     (tripleup)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-07-2004, 9:18 AM Reply   
Have you tried just using a drop hitch?
Old     (wetirish)      Join Date: May 2003       05-07-2004, 10:47 AM Reply   
Steel wheels work well. They are 2" wide. A set costs about $32. at your local RV store.
Old     (actiondcpd)      Join Date: Apr 2003       05-07-2004, 2:27 PM Reply   
Thanks for the suggestions. There really isn't any room between the prop and the guard.. maybe a fingers worth. I can't really use a drop hitch either because the hitch itself will drag on my driveway transition. I have a set of extreme wheels with grese fittings already.. so i'm just looking to fab something up to mount them to.
Old     (bluesman)      Join Date: Oct 2002       05-08-2004, 8:15 AM Reply   
I had DHM install their non-metal prop guard wheels on my trailer a few months ago. They work great.

I found a slightly different driving technique was required. Before the prop-guard wheels I tried to take the driveway at a sharp angle. That reduced the drag. With the prop-guard wheels I have to take it more straight-on. Otherwise the wheels don't work as well.