Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (cece)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-24-2007, 11:00 AM Reply   
Here are some more details on our 3rd annual surf contest. There will be 4 divisions, Advanced, Intermediate, Beginner (Novice) and Women's.

1st place prizes as follows:
Advanced - Nixon Watch
Intermediate - LF Custom Wakesurfer
Beginners - LF Surf Rope
Women's - Roxy Luggage

Entry Fees:
$20 AWA Members
$30 Non-Members
$17 WWA Single Event Insurance (Required if WWA Annual is not held by participant)

Lake Pleasant - Two Cow Cove http://www.theawa.com/location.html
Camping is available on site.

Registration
starts at 8:30 AM and the competition starts at 10:00 AM
Old     (leaks)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-24-2007, 4:21 PM Reply   
What type of boats are you using?
Old     (cece)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-24-2007, 9:47 PM Reply   
Nautique 236
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-25-2007, 7:25 PM Reply   
What year?
Old     (cece)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-26-2007, 7:43 AM Reply   
I'm almost certain that 2007 is the first year that they made the 236. Century Marine is providing the boat to pull the contest and has said that it is produces a great wave.

http://www.nautiques.com/OurBoats/Crossover/236.aspx
Old    surfdad            04-29-2007, 8:44 PM Reply   
I have a few pictures from the contest, we are just back from AZ...so probably more info tomorrow. Again, a great contest. Tons of prizes, including a new LF Custom, a Reactor watch, Spy Sunglases and I scored a SL wakesurf rope. :-) Thanks Strat and CC!

This years contest was run a bit differently, each rider was given the opportunity to ride both the starboard and port side wakes. Ed S, if you're reading this - GREAT FUN! It really brings to light the most accomplished rider, but also what a great deal of fun. It doubled the amount of time we got to ride, and I would quantify the giggles at 4 times as much. :-)

At the advanced level, you really got the chance to see the level of board control and skill. Strat did these sick backside bottom turns grabbing the outside rail.

The folks from Walzer had a contingent of riders and with them, more Walzers than I've ever seen in one place at one time.

One picture for tonight, the Nautique 236 - that's a big boat.

Upload
Old    surfdad            04-30-2007, 5:27 AM Reply   
The air temperature in AZ is toasty. :-) In the low 100's at the end of April! :-)

Ce Ce testing the chair back ; ) This contest runs so smoothly, it's almost automatic. This really is due to the organization of the club and efforts of the members and sponsors.

Upload
Old    surfdad            04-30-2007, 5:31 AM Reply   
Century Marine provided the boat, this year it was a new Nautique 236. I really like the rear facing seat just behind the driver.

Upload
Old    surfdad            04-30-2007, 5:34 AM Reply   
I'm not sure that I will ever get accoustomed to seeing cactus around a lake. Beautiful desert scenery in the Lake Pleasant area.

Upload
Old    surfdad            04-30-2007, 5:39 AM Reply   
Starboard wake during the women's division.

Upload
Old     (cece)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-30-2007, 8:42 AM Reply   
Thanks for posting the pictures Jeff. I will post a link to more pictures as soon as they are all uploaded.

THANKS to all the riders from California that made the drive out!! Hopefully it was a worth while trip for all of you. I will post the results and a brief recap on our website www.theawa.com as soon as I have a couple of free minutes.
Old     (nwa)      Join Date: Jul 2005       04-30-2007, 12:27 PM Reply   
Congrat's to Lindsey and Justin!!
Old    surfdad            04-30-2007, 2:19 PM Reply   
Is this Lindsey taking home the Roxy Luggage for her first place finish in the womens?

Upload
Old    surfdad            04-30-2007, 2:21 PM Reply   
I know this is Justin taking home his new LF Custom 4'2" with a second in the men's.

Upload
Old     (critter)      Join Date: Oct 2004       05-01-2007, 9:36 AM Reply   
Yes, thats Lindsey, the new addition to the Walzer Girlz. Way to go girl!!!!

It was fun and glad to meet every one, the only thing was I wish I would of known they where going to judge both side of the wakes. (since I never rode backside before) But all in all GREAT EVENT.
Old     (leaks)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-01-2007, 11:13 AM Reply   
Jeff;
Did you surf in the Masters? If so, how did you do this week?
Old    surfdad            05-01-2007, 12:08 PM Reply   
Hey Greg, no Masters in this event, just sort of a Men's open. James won and I took third, but...I don't think that Strat was truly competing. :-) He landed 2 3's and could have beat me if he wanted - such is the role of the sponsor :-)

Hey Critter that was a blast wasn't it? I like the idea of having to ride frontside and backside at a contest, it really points out the most accomplished riders. I think they decided to do both port and starboard on the day of the contest, you probably knew at the same time that the organizers did! :-)

I tried riding switch both frontside and backside, without much luck on this wake. For me, since I can't really power through moves like the young whippersnappers :-) I have to add more style or difficulty with switch manuevers.
Old     (critter)      Join Date: Oct 2004       05-01-2007, 1:42 PM Reply   
Yeah, Jeff I am now determined to try backside (the dar side). I think ride switch and backside will just further my ride skills. Exspecially since my boat does have a better portside wake. I see the out of the box. Diddo - quote form jeff -I have to add more style or difficulty with switch manuevers
Old     (cece)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-02-2007, 7:52 AM Reply   
Jeff was 100% correct on the decision to run both portside and starboard. With the small turnout we decided to try a slightly different format than we have used in the past. It saved us from switching the boat back and forth for each class and also gave us a few more laughs.

Critter, you weren't the only one who never rode backside. How was I supposed to know that I can actually wakesurf switch? (which for me means that I let go of the rope and rode a few feet)
Old     (cece)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-09-2007, 6:54 AM Reply   
Some of the pictures are up from the surf contest. I'll try to upload the rest of them tonight. I am also still working on identifying riders, so please help me out if I have something wrong or I'm missing a name.

THANKS!!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7953139@N06/sets/72157600195014081/
Old    surfdad            05-09-2007, 7:17 AM Reply   
Those are some great pic's Chris. Thanks for all your effort.

Upload