Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (bcd)      Join Date: Jun 2012       09-15-2018, 7:20 PM Reply   
I had a 2010 Ronix One for 6 years. It broke this year and I just replaced it with a new Murray board. I'm having a lot of trouble consistently getting good pop. I don't really get much about half the time. When I do get really good pop, it usually kind of bucks me and I'm off balance. I never had issues with the One board. Am I coming off edge early and was able to get away with it on the 3 stage rocker, and now I need to have better form with the continuous? I've ridden the Murray 3 times now. The last time I was doing a little better, but I haven't struggled this much for air in about 15 years. I haven't been able to get video yet to see if I can determine what's going on. Any thoughts? I went from a 146 One to a 150 Murray. I'm 6'1" and 210 lbs. Boat is an X2 with around 2000 pounds ballast.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       09-16-2018, 6:03 AM Reply   
2 things:

1. You can cheat on 3 stage boards and go back foot heavy and not pay the price due to the flat spot. Continuous boards you can’t because leverage. Cut in with way more weight over your front foot.
2. You need to generate the pop more with a continuous board, as it is doing less of the work. Push harder at the wake
Old     (stevev210)      Join Date: Feb 2005       09-16-2018, 8:30 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcd View Post
I had a 2010 Ronix One for 6 years. It broke this year and I just replaced it with a new Murray board. I'm having a lot of trouble consistently getting good pop. I don't really get much about half the time. When I do get really good pop, it usually kind of bucks me and I'm off balance. I never had issues with the One board. Am I coming off edge early and was able to get away with it on the 3 stage rocker, and now I need to have better form with the continuous? I've ridden the Murray 3 times now. The last time I was doing a little better, but I haven't struggled this much for air in about 15 years. I haven't been able to get video yet to see if I can determine what's going on. Any thoughts? I went from a 146 One to a 150 Murray. I'm 6'1" and 210 lbs. Boat is an X2 with around 2000 pounds ballast.
The Murray is a Subtle 3 stage rocker. I road abrupt 3 stage rocker boards for 12 years and went to the Murray in 2016 and haven't looked back. It's such a fun consistent board with plenty of "pop". I'm 5'10-185 and ride the 144. It might take some getting use to but don't throw in the towel, it's a sweet ride!
Old     (bcd)      Join Date: Jun 2012       09-16-2018, 6:43 PM Reply   
I rode it today for the fourth time. I did a lot better with the pop, but then to board broke right at the front foot. I guess I was using more front foot to get pop today...

Maybe it was just a quality issue, but it really concerns me that it broke on the fourth ride.
Old     (Bagar55)      Join Date: Aug 2013 Location: Mineral, Va       09-16-2018, 6:47 PM Reply   
How did it break? Hard Fall or landing hard in flats a bunch?
Old     (bcd)      Join Date: Jun 2012       09-16-2018, 7:22 PM Reply   
No hard falls, maybe did a few into the flats, no where near anything that should have broken it. I landed after a backroll and the board just felt like it had a lot of drag in the landing and I didn't ride out the landing. It wasn't a hard landing or hard crash. I started again, did a little one wake 180 and then back again as the boat was getting up to speed and then did an inside out little toe side jump to get outside the wake, and I crashed on it. I thought that was weird and looked at my board and it was broke.
Old     (wake2snow)      Join Date: Oct 2010       09-16-2018, 8:24 PM Reply   
It has to do with using Ronix boots on the board hyperlite boards have had issues with ronix bindings sitting on a pressure point on the board causeing them to break
Old     (thejean)      Join Date: Aug 2018       09-16-2018, 8:26 PM Reply   
I have a 2010 One right now and am debating between a 2019 Murray and a Timebomb so I’ll be watching this thread with great interest...
Old     (Bagar55)      Join Date: Aug 2013 Location: Mineral, Va       09-17-2018, 5:05 AM Reply   
Haven’t heard that about the Ronix bindings on the Hyperlite boards. Anyone else have that happen to them using Ronix bindings? Has this been something going on for a few years? I’m really close to pulling the trigger on a Murray but ride Park’s and RXT bindings so that is a little concerning.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       09-17-2018, 6:19 AM Reply   
This is why I reccomend humanoid or slingshot in every thread...
Old     (ATB0713)      Join Date: Oct 2013 Location: Massachusetts       09-17-2018, 6:32 AM Reply   
sweet set up dude. that just sounds like some bad luck.

Changing boards is probably the big reason why you're feeling less/different pop. Whenever you get a new board things are always different/new so you've just gotta "ride" it out, no pun intended. But with the board breaking that sucks, man. Contact the dealer that you bought it from, or hit up Hyerlite directly and see if they're able to help out. the Ronix One is known for having an aggressive 3 stage. The core of the boards are also completely different which is going to deliver different feel even if the rocker is the exact same.

in my opinion the pop from the Ronix One and the Liquid Force RDX would be more comparable than the One to the Murray.
Old     (theloungelife)      Join Date: Jun 2012 Location: Salt Lake City, UT       09-17-2018, 6:48 AM Reply   
I used to ride the gen2 Ronix Ones (a 2012 and a 2013). Switched to the Code 22 for 2015-17. Now am riding a 17' Murray 145. The Murray did take a little getting used to. One thing I did is a put on slightly bigger fins. I felt like this allowed me to load my edge easier. The interesting thing is I brought out my older Code 22 (139cm) about a month in and was blown away how slow it felt compared to the bigger, less 3 stage Murray board. I've come to love the Murray now. It's a good mix of speed and pop.

Second, I've been riding Ronix One Boots and now Ronix RXTs on mine all season. No problems with breakage for me. Probably around 80 sets on it at this point. For reference, I'm 175lbs and a W2W rider with a mostly spins and a couple inverts. Riding a loaded 13' A22 wake. On the board I'm in the middle set of inserts. I'm thinking the one you had was just a dud. I'm sure they'll take care of you for warranty, as that is the current season board.
Old     (stevev210)      Join Date: Feb 2005       09-17-2018, 10:18 AM Reply   
I have been rockin the RXT's on my Murray since 2016. No problems with breakage. I rode the 16 board for two years with 17 RXT's and now on the 18 Murray with 18 RXT's ( had to warranty my 17 bindings) I have a few buddies that have had issues with the 150's delaminating but not actually breaking/cracking. Hyperlite will warranty your board and you'll have a 19 to ride. Not sure if you've tried the 144 but its a bigger board (surface space) than the 146 timebomb I believe.
Old     (tre)      Join Date: Jul 2002 Location: WI       09-17-2018, 11:12 AM Reply   
I have always used 3 stage rocker boards. I went to a Hyperlite early this year with a continuous rocker and had the same experience as you. no pop and inconsistent pop and having to really stand on my front foot to get air. I was falling and just never felt good on the board. I've been riding for 20 years and I felt like a noob. I got rid of that board for a Ronix Darkside and never looked back. I felt immediately at home on the Darkside (3 stage rocker) and got consistent pop all summer. The board feels great. Clearly continuous rocker and I do not get along. Sounds like you have the same issue.
Old     (bcd)      Join Date: Jun 2012       09-17-2018, 12:30 PM Reply   
I was actually feeling a lot better on it the last time out before it broke. Originally, I was trying to make sure I stayed on edge the whole time. I started focusing more on front foot weight, and that helped a lot. I also did some small cuts from just outside the wash, and I got really good consistent pop doing that.

I talked to Hyperlite this morning. They hadn't seen/heard of any issues of Ronix bindings on their boards. It will be warrantied with a 2019. They weren't sure if it will be coming in with their next shipment, otherwise it will be in the Oct 25 shipment.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       09-17-2018, 1:49 PM Reply   
Honestly, the whole no pop thing could be attributed to a MFG defect. I've definitely gone out on a board that appears 100% fine and felt like I just wasn't get good snap off the wake only for the board to snap a few rides later.
Old     (bcd)      Join Date: Jun 2012       09-17-2018, 2:26 PM Reply   
I had that thought too.
Old     (Bagar55)      Join Date: Aug 2013 Location: Mineral, Va       09-22-2018, 3:05 PM Reply   
New Murray 150 arrived Friday afternoon. After unpacking I noticed the board has a couple little dimples on the bottom and what appears to be a possible flaw in the foam/glass. I’m not sure if this is normal or a defect. I’ve never noticed anything similar on another board.
On the bottom of board where the big circular Hyperlite graphic is the flaw runs almost rail to rail. It’s interesting that it appears to be on the same side of the board and similar location to where the one in pics above broke. Hopefully you can see it well enough in these pics. What do you guys think normal or should I try to exchange.
Attached Images

Old     (thejean)      Join Date: Aug 2018       09-23-2018, 10:01 AM Reply   
Might as well ride it. If it breaks again you get another one anyway. But it might not. Just make sure the place you bought it from knows this and also see what they suggest.
Old     (Bagar55)      Join Date: Aug 2013 Location: Mineral, Va       09-24-2018, 9:06 AM Reply   
Hate to ride it with a flaw that will lead to it breaking. I could see it breaking at the worst time and taking a nasty fall. Already took a really bad one this summer and had concussion for a month. Would leave me feeling a little unsure about the board whenever riding. Not sure if I’m being picky about the issues.
If they are common in the manufacturing process and nothing to be concerned with I’ll be happy to ride the piss out of it. Just wondering everyone’s opinions. I hit up Hyperlite and the store I bought from online but havent’ heard back yet.
Old     (wake2snow)      Join Date: Oct 2010       09-24-2018, 3:19 PM Reply   
The line in the board is just graphic blem nothing that will affect the integrity of the board sometimes stuff like this happens in building process.
Old     (bcd)      Join Date: Jun 2012       07-25-2019, 6:24 AM Reply   
Update on this 10 months later:
Been using my new 2019 Murray with the Ronix One bindings - no issues or failures yet with the replacement board. I'm definitely getting more pop with this board than I got with my One. I do have to focus on putting more weight on my front foot. I'm going to guess that maybe I just had poor form all those years with being rear foot heavy and the 3 stage rocker let me get away with it? This is my first continuous rocker board. Either way, I'm liking the new board and glad I stuck with it.
Old     (granddaddy53)      Join Date: Dec 2013       08-02-2019, 1:49 AM Reply   
Really like my 144 with Team x closed toe with the great heal grab , it took me quite some time to get used to the small fins , I’ll have to try the front foot pressure on approach

Murray is a continuous ?, i thought it was an obvious 3 stage , quite flat in the middle ?

Educate me
Old     (bcd)      Join Date: Jun 2012       08-02-2019, 5:25 AM Reply   
Technically they call it a subtle 3 stage: "The Murray shape begins with a Subtle 3-Stage Rocker, there is no flat spot, the rocker simply increases under foot for a colossal boost of the wake."