Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (adamsilcio)      Join Date: Oct 2007       09-13-2011, 7:17 AM Reply   
So since I've had two knee injuries while in college, I was under LSU's health plan which covered me. Well, now that I graduated and I am looking for health coverage... I was denied by the first company I assumed would take me--Blue Cross tBlue Shield. I had my left knee reconstructed in 2007 and the my right knee done last summer, 2010. I was released in February 2011 and I have been strong and healthy since then. I can even get my doctors to vouch for me that I am healthy. And no I am not working full-time right now so getting health insurance with a company is out of the question. I run my own business and do part-time work for Red Bull.
What options do I have? And has anyone else ran into this problem before?

Last edited by adamsilcio; 09-13-2011 at 7:18 AM. Reason: typo
Old     (magicr)      Join Date: May 2004       09-13-2011, 8:14 AM Reply   
Welcome to the American way in health care. My wife who has had a pre existing condition for 20 years works at a job she hates, but they do offer insurance.

I'm self employed and know your predicament.
Old     (adamsilcio)      Join Date: Oct 2007       09-13-2011, 8:29 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicr View Post
Welcome to the American way in health care. My wife who has had a pre existing condition for 20 years works at a job she hates, but they do offer insurance.

I'm self employed and know your predicament.
So what is your solution? Do you buy your own healthcare or do you have injuries you've had in the past?
Old     (magicr)      Join Date: May 2004       09-13-2011, 8:47 AM Reply   
Right now I am under my wife's group plan through her employer as it is better insurance than what I can get on my own. I don't have any pre-existing conditions, so I can get insurance on the open market. My wife owned a drive through coffee stand years ago, and could not get health insurance. It was one of the reasons she sold the stand.

I really don't have any solutions for you, sorry.
Old    SamIngram            09-13-2011, 11:08 AM Reply   
Join a Professional Association that offers a group healthcare policy; I belong to NAR (National Association of Realtors), CCIM, the Appraisal Institute, the Warren County Farm Bureau, and the Small Loggers Association. All these offer some type of group health insurance policies.
Old     (adamsilcio)      Join Date: Oct 2007       09-15-2011, 7:19 AM Reply   
i've been looking into everything. anyone else have any suggestions?
Old    SamIngram            09-15-2011, 9:13 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsilcio View Post
i've been looking into everything. anyone else have any suggestions?
I don't understand, have you looked into group coverage through an organization like I mentioned?

I had Stage 3 Testicular Cancer and am able to get coverage very easily through a group plan. They can not hold a pre-existing condition against you with a group policy. I have basic coverage through a BCBS plan and a secondary policy through Humana. Both policies are group plans.

Have you looked at professional organizations and group plans or not?
Old     (adamsilcio)      Join Date: Oct 2007       09-19-2011, 10:08 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIngram View Post
I don't understand, have you looked into group coverage through an organization like I mentioned?

I had Stage 3 Testicular Cancer and am able to get coverage very easily through a group plan. They can not hold a pre-existing condition against you with a group policy. I have basic coverage through a BCBS plan and a secondary policy through Humana. Both policies are group plans.

Have you looked at professional organizations and group plans or not?
sam thanks for the immediate feedback. i did look into LSU Alumni Association insurance but it was like $200. how did you get a group plan with BCBS? was it through your employer or are you self-employed like me and paying for individual private health insurance? basically BCBS denied me because my last ACL surgery was too recent (July 2010). i got a letter in the mail from them explaining their reason. they said i could pay 300% more if i wanted to. how much are you paying for insurance and what plans do you have? i just want one policy... i wanted to originally go with the BCBS Blue Saver plan.
Old     (adamsilcio)      Join Date: Oct 2007       09-19-2011, 10:08 AM Reply   
by the way, have you recovered from the cancer? hope you are doing well and have returned to good health buddy.
Old    SamIngram            09-19-2011, 12:00 PM Reply   
Adam,
What is your desired profession?
Old     (adamsilcio)      Join Date: Oct 2007       09-19-2011, 12:15 PM Reply   
hah... closing the gap between your day job and your dream job. everybody on here wants to be a pro rider but i like to think you can only do that for so long... so my long term career goal is to own an operate a cable park in my home state of Louisiana. or work for one of the major board companies but even those guys don't get health insurance through their company. but they stay stoked. right now i work for Red Bull and i run a small social media consulting business. i have a college degree but i am not ready to go to work full time and only allow myself two days a week or less to ride. i like having the freedom to ride when i want while still supporting myself. i know for sure though i don't want to grow up and say something like "i'm a ______ but i really want to be a _______."

....so therefore, i am working on the cable park idea. writing a business plan as we speak.

we are off topic by the way. ????

Last edited by adamsilcio; 09-19-2011 at 12:20 PM. Reason: typo