Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       08-29-2010, 12:46 PM Reply   
There was some LED's posted on the classified section of Wakeworld, and I thought I would chat with the guy and see what made his any different than anyone else. I am in no way affiliated with Motorsports Squared, just a happy customer. I did send him pics and he used them in the classified section. So the WW police can simmer down.
1. They didn't need to be underwater to work. (overheating issues)
2. Over 720 lumens, and will take 9-32volts DC.
3. Original products designed for off-road use, so they are definately going to be durable
4. Customer service top notch.
5. Under $250... enough said.
6. Small enough footprint to fit my Moomba LSV.
7. These lights also are hard anodized prior to powder coating for added durability.
With all these reasons I decided to pic some up. One for My LSV and 2 for my brother-in-laws X-When I got them and pulled them out of the box, the first thing I thought was these things are well made! All milled, billet aluminum, and powder coated. These things are easily a pound a piece.
I connected them to a half dead battery in the sun and they hurt to look at.
Take my word for it these are nice lights!
After talking with Darick Schmitt with visionxstore.com He instructed me how to dis-assemble the factory deusch plug so I wouldn't had to drill a huge hole in the hull. Here is the "how too" on these lights.
First I carefully removed the heatshrink around the deusch plug then used a pick to remove the green wedge that holds the plug together on the light, and dis-assembled the plug.
Then I located a position that I could easily access both from the inside and the outside of the boat. With the LSV there are no flat spots in the transome with the exception of the area above the wakeplate.
Laid out where the hole for the wire would go (3/4").
Drilled backwards untill the bit face was far enough through the gelcoat that I could go forward w/o creating chips in the gel.
Next I put the light in place, then marked and drilled the mounting screw holes. I then went back and used the 3/4" bit in reverse to open the face of the holes up to keep from chipping the gel when installing the screws.
Next I put a generous amount of 3-m adhesive sealant around the wire and on each screw hole and installed it.
Re-install the wires in the plug and install the green wedge and your ready to wire.
I tied mine into my docking lights with an additional switch. So when my docking lights are on I can turn my transome lights on with an addithonal switch.
I see a group buy coming on! Hope you guys like it!
Forgive the shameless Active Water Sports plug.

Last edited by newty; 08-29-2010 at 12:50 PM.
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       08-29-2010, 12:53 PM Reply   
Next came the drilling... My favorite part!

Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       08-29-2010, 12:57 PM Reply   
Now the glue and install.
Oh and the shameless PDXwake plug!

Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       08-29-2010, 1:00 PM Reply   
Now the results! This is with only one white light.

This is about 6' of water here for reference.

Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-29-2010, 1:03 PM Reply   
Only the pics on the bottom post uploaded.
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       08-29-2010, 1:03 PM Reply   
This is 2 red lights on the X-1.

Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       08-29-2010, 1:06 PM Reply   
And for a couple of both.

Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       08-29-2010, 1:13 PM Reply   
I picked these up back in the spring and have been really happy with them. I have had a lot of guys aking about them so I figured I'd post all this up. Forgive the copy and paste for the Moomba guys.
Definatly a quality inexpensive alternative to whats out there now.
I did notice that price on these has dropped and they are now offering a 10% off WW coupon code.

BTW these come in a flood and spot version, these are the flood version.

These things look awesome in the prop wash too. The red looks like a fireball coming out of the X-1. I cant find those pics but if I do I'll post them up.

Last edited by newty; 08-29-2010 at 1:16 PM.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-29-2010, 4:34 PM Reply   
So what do these lights look like, not in the water but the other pics. They didn't upload.
Old    mojo            08-29-2010, 4:47 PM Reply   
i'd go with one colored and one white on separate switches. does that ski pole retract ont he x1?
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       08-29-2010, 5:35 PM Reply   
Heres the classifieds post with pics and details.
http://www.wakeworld.com/classifield...g.php?view=825

No the pylon doesn't drop.
Old    mojo            08-29-2010, 6:14 PM Reply   
did you install the tooth chipper? i had an x2 and the pole was half that height.
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       08-30-2010, 6:12 AM Reply   
Sorry heres the install pics
Attached Images

Last edited by newty; 08-30-2010 at 6:15 AM.
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       08-30-2010, 6:17 AM Reply   
more
Attached Images

Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       08-30-2010, 6:23 AM Reply   
I realized I used the img from the Moomba website for a the first few, so you would have to be logged on to see them. Sorry.
Attached Images

Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-30-2010, 8:11 AM Reply   
Looks great Newty. Those are really bright and penetrate well. They're a bit clunky in design but if they were to offer them in a few different colors to where you could better match them to the hull they'd be less noticeable.
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       08-30-2010, 12:02 PM Reply   
Hate, I thought the same thing at first, but really you never see them being under the swimdeck or under water.

Hey it was great meeting you up at CB. Hope we have more time to hang next time we're up.
Thanks again for helping pick up our slide!
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-30-2010, 12:11 PM Reply   
Any reason that you used 5200 instead of 4200? You know 5200 does not come off, right?
Old     (ajholt7)      Join Date: Apr 2009       08-30-2010, 1:20 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by alans View Post
Any reason that you used 5200 instead of 4200? You know 5200 does not come off, right?
I noticed that too. Hope you don't need to remove them.
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       08-30-2010, 2:31 PM Reply   
That was the plan. Hope I never have to take it off.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-30-2010, 4:08 PM Reply   
I use 5200 on pretty much anything that goes on my boat that requires drilling through it, right or wrong thats my play.

Newty, Yeah an it was great to meet up with you guys, good people. Thanks again for the slide the kids loved it and of course I'm gonna help. Still think it would be fun to plan a WW trip and link some boats up out there.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       08-30-2010, 6:34 PM Reply   
hate I'm with you any hole gets 5200 fast cure and I have put a lot of holes in my boat I have been able to remove it as well brake cleaner does a good job
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-30-2010, 6:39 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatepain View Post
I use 5200 on pretty much anything that goes on my boat that requires drilling through it, right or wrong thats my play.

Newty, Yeah an it was great to meet up with you guys, good people. Thanks again for the slide the kids loved it and of course I'm gonna help. Still think it would be fun to plan a WW trip and link some boats up out there.

I'm in . That's the problem with CB nobody does that, so you have to listen to 50 different types of music playing. It would be good to get some guys out there with some legit systems and shut eveyone down and own it.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       09-01-2010, 7:05 AM Reply   
where is this CB you guys refer to??
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-01-2010, 7:17 AM Reply   
Newty.... nice work dude.... You know what this means..... You will have to do this on my boat next year since you are the resident expert now.

Looks pretty sweet. Nice work.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-01-2010, 8:20 AM Reply   
Harold, its Crescent Bar a pure party town in Quincy Wa. on the Columbia. There is a large sand bar there where loads of boat owners go to party, its good times. If we do it all you PDX guys need to come up too! If you have ever been to the Gorge at George amphitheater you can see it from there.

Nu, just you and I'd shut it down there let alone five or six of us.

Last edited by hatepain; 09-01-2010 at 8:22 AM. Reason: Add gorge stuff
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       09-01-2010, 9:03 AM Reply   
gotcha been there not sure why it did not click gets crazy when there is a show at the amphitheater we usually put in at vantage when we go
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       09-01-2010, 9:15 AM Reply   
Diggs I'd love to! Its a pretty fun project and easy to do.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       09-01-2010, 9:55 AM Reply   
Digs they are easy to install I put a couple on mine as well before the season started one of my favorite mods so far
Attached Images

Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-01-2010, 10:52 AM Reply   
Newty and Harold,
What did you do for toggle switches on the dash to keep it clean?

Anyone gonna be at Crescent bar or the Gorge this weekend for Dave Matthews? We are heading up and debating on hitting the water on Sunday......
Send me a PM if so, so we can keep Newty's post on topic.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-01-2010, 10:55 AM Reply   
Quote:
Anyone gonna be at Crescent bar or the Gorge this weekend for Dave Matthews? We are heading up and debating on hitting the water on Sunday......
Nope but I'd avoid the sand bar if you do its gonna be madness as it always is on three day weekends.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       09-01-2010, 11:03 AM Reply   
I used the factory double throw courtesy lite switch one way turns on interior lites and the transom lites and the other just turns on the transom lites.it is the bottom left switch the unmarked switch is for the tower speaker's it turns the amp on or off still looking for a factory cover for it
Attached Images

Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       09-01-2010, 3:40 PM Reply   
I put a switch on mine hidden under the dash that I usually leave on then tie it into the factory docking lights switch.

Diggs If you go can I catch a ride w/ you? Enjoy the concert!
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       09-01-2010, 4:01 PM Reply   
newtey great work on the group buy you set up and offered on PDX wake I would be in if I did not already do the mod. thinking about doing that government island thing on Saturday
Old     (M_Squared)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-13-2011, 9:55 PM Reply   
Is this thing still alive?
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       06-14-2011, 6:32 AM Reply   
I forgot about this thread...The lights are still going strong. We get loads of complements on them.
Old     (travisz)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-14-2011, 8:26 AM Reply   
So if you are on a budget......... check out Oznium.com and look at their high intensity flood and spot lights. I have 4 floods and 3 spots on my transem and they are almost as bright as the others out there. At 18 dollars a light, it becomes a lot more affordable. I snap some good pics this weekend and attempt to post them. Good luck.