Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old     (tversetti)      Join Date: Jan 2008       05-26-2009, 2:25 PM Reply   
Alright I realize that it really can't be that hard. Last season I split time between kneeboarding and wakeboarding and found my progression slow. I probably did a w2w about 3 times last year.
Anyways, this season I find myself w/ the same problems as last year. I get pulled out of the front of the board constantly if I go big enough to clear both wakes. I don't get a million chances to ride so each set is precious!

All I ever read is "hands at the hips" but if I am cutting terribly hard (at least for me), I have issues getting yoinked forward.

Thanks in advance
Old     (macattack)      Join Date: May 2009       05-26-2009, 9:49 PM Reply   
what do you mean you get pulled out of the front? meaning your nose digs in the water?
to jump w2w:
progressive edge in(slowly start to cut in, you should be cutting hardest at the top of the wake watch some videos to see), when you reach the top of the wake stand, dont jump, stand. pull the handle to you hip. if this is what your doing and your still going forward try to get a tail grab in and see if that balances you in the air.
Old     (tversetti)      Join Date: Jan 2008       05-27-2009, 3:12 PM Reply   
I mean that my body gets yoinked forward when i am in the air. I suppose that must mean that the handle is not in at my body enough when I take off?
Old     (stoked_32)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-27-2009, 3:28 PM Reply   
normally means you're taking off too early as well... try waiting longer before you stand tall. Edge all the way through the lip of the wake.
Old     (jcollinge)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-27-2009, 5:36 PM Reply   
Sounds like your cut is 90 degrees into the wake. I normally go 45 degrees with a progressive edge.
Old     (stxr_racer)      Join Date: Jun 2006       05-28-2009, 8:25 PM Reply   
Check it..

http://www.wakeworld.com/Tricklist/TrickTip009.asp
Old     (tversetti)      Join Date: Jan 2008       05-29-2009, 12:17 PM Reply   
puckhead, i think you got it right.

dont really know how to cut at a different angle though, it seems like the most speed and power comes from hitting the wake going that much faster...
Old     (pwningjr)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-19-2010, 6:26 PM Reply   
But that's the thing, you're not necessarily looking for speed (although it does play a part), you're looking for line tension built up over a period of time.

Also, do you ride with [a] super large fin[s] on your board? You may be "turning" the board rather than edging.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-19-2010, 7:03 PM Reply   
keith i had the same problem when i started. first you need to learn how to edge through the wake. the way to do this is to edge through the wake slowly with your knees bent and leaning against the line as you go through the wake absorb the wake with your legs consentrate on staying on edge across both wakes and out into the flats.once you do this heelside and toeside you can progress to jumping one wake. when you cut into the wake for a one wake jump start about 10 foot away from the wake stay on edge and stand up as straight as you can on edge and stay on edge when you land and edge through the next wake and out into the flats.once you are comfortable edgeing through the wake and landing on edge. shorten the line to about 55 to 60 feet . then try a progressive edge into the wake. good luck!
Old     (HYPERLITEshredder)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-26-2010, 7:12 AM Reply   
I agree with the person who said stand, not jump. Its really an important detail. After you get your progressive edge down, really concentrate on standing at the top of the wake. I used to have the same problem but now that i have the timing down I hit the flats every time. Thats saying something because I have a 96 rinker with no tower! Just remember, progressive edge takes less effort than you think.
Old     (element8456)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-29-2010, 7:43 PM Reply   
My adivce is take a wide cut outside of the wake. Next wait for boat to iniate your cut in slowly building up line tension/speed and should be edgeing hard right before you hit the wake. Once on top of the wake stand tall to gain pop. Also try and keep the hand near you leading hip.
Old     (Garrison)      Join Date: May 2010       06-02-2010, 1:27 PM Reply   
The 45 degree cut will help out all with the pop aspect of it and to do that you can point your hip to where you want to go and then just dig in with your heels. also make you you are using a non stretch rope if there is stretch in the rope as soon as you jump the tension is going to pull you forward with a non stretch rope it will keep the tension all the way through to the landing
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-04-2010, 5:51 PM Reply   
I have the same problem getting pulled over my toes. Here are some pics of one jump . All help is welcome but please be nice LOL! Thanx. I landed it but it wasnt pretty. Also I always end up letting go with one hand is this bad/ok/normal?
Attached Images

Old     (chexi)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-14-2010, 2:21 PM Reply   
You are bending at the waste when you ride, which puts your weight forward. You will occassionally fall forward when you ride like that (I did for 3 years until they taught me how to ride properly at the wakeboard camp). It's okay to have a bent waste when you are coasting, but you need to get your hips forward before you launch, the earlier the better. To understand the position, stand straight up with your feet the way they would be in your bindings. Now, push your pelvis forward and tighten your glutes. You can roll your knees forward and sink a bit for this exercise, but keep your pelvis forward (when sunk, that is your approach body position). Stand straight up like this and that is the correct launching position at the top of the wake for a progressive WTW. You will be angled back of course relative to the world because you will be on your HS edge, but your body position will be the same.

To practice this position on the water, cut out heelside as far as you can until you can go no further. Then, start leaning back on your HS edge hard, while at the same time thrusting your pelvis forward (which will eventually point straight toward the sky). Straighten your legs (while keeping your pelvis forward) and continue to lean/edge ever harder. Before you know it, the back of your head will be a few inches off the water, you will be pulling the boat, and you will feel the correct body position for probably the first time. Once you have that down, do that on the your HS WTW jumps, just not leaning quite so far back. You will sky and you won't fall out the front.