Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Girls Who Ride

Old     (sexyws6mama)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-04-2010, 5:51 AM Reply   
I'm having a hard time with the handle pass on backside HS/TS 180's. I do the rotation nicely and land everytime nice BUT without the handle. I have landed blind like twice and then let go. I think my problem is the handle is not close to my hip and then it almost makes it impossible to do the handle pass becasue the handle is too far out.

I need suggestions on making the handle pass. What can make it easier? I know practice, practice, practice

thanks ladies!
Old     (oldgirl)      Join Date: Jun 2008       04-05-2010, 8:23 PM Reply   
I learned it with a very slow boat speed. I started with surface between wakes, then surface over one wake, then one wake. If you are good at ollie the you should probably do that too.
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-05-2010, 8:56 PM Reply   
Thats how I learned it too. Start with hs bs ollie 180's and land wrapped. Then take it one wake wrapped. The handle pass is easier if you can land wrapped before you pass it....I think anyway!!.....And keep your hands close to your hips.....if they get out away from your hips the pull of the boat will actually prevent the handle pass.

Last edited by rnopr8; 04-05-2010 at 8:58 PM.
Old     (sexyws6mama)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-15-2010, 8:20 AM Reply   
I was reading about handle passes and I need to keep the handle close to my hip and when I spin, then close to my low back and then hopefully I'll have the handle when I come to the front.

I'm nailing the BS 180's without rope, so I just got to get this handle pass thing and I'll be good!

Thanks ladies!
Old     (aliwake)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-15-2010, 4:42 PM Reply   
where/how are you trying them audrey? ie surface, ollie, wake?
I usually only do surface ones, and the odd ollie bs 180, but for me the prgression started like this:
cut out on your heels and practice doing some bs slides (ie like a butterslide, but so your back is facing the boat). you need to sort of dig your toes in a bit so that you don't catch a back edge. this gets you used to feeling the board release in that direction (and it's fun). once you've got that down, you need to cut out fairly hard on your heels, and then immediately (while there's still a little slack in the rope) flick the board all the way around 180. hold in that wrapped position until you can pass the handle. don't panic or rush. you'll have plenty of time to pass the handle, so wait until you feel it in your hand, then straighten up!
I used to try to do the 180 slowly after I cut out, but a friend told me to speed it up, and it's actually a lot easier if you flick it the full 180 very quickly.
I think you're focusing too much on the handlepass at this point too. do the 180 on the water, hold that wrapped position, then pass the handle. once you can do that, you'll be able to speed that up and bring it all together - ie start passing the handle while you do the spin. at this point though, it sounds like you're trying to do too many things at once. you'll never make a handle pass on the water if you have to rush it!!

p.s. surface 180s are dead easy and a lot of fun at cable, so if you have access to a cable park, try them there too. they're also fun on a flat box at cable if there's a nice easy one. it's fun spinning on rails cos you don't have to worry about digging an edge in.
Old     (clearlakescott)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-15-2010, 7:42 PM Reply   
I would take SoCal's advise on this trick she has GOOD form on this trick!
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-15-2010, 7:59 PM Reply   
Wow!! Thanks Scott!! How have you been????
Old     (sexyws6mama)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-16-2010, 5:00 AM Reply   
Well I have been trying the BS 180s wake first. I think at first I just concentrated on the spin; since I thought that was probably the most important thing. Well, I got that going with great height and spin no problem. But yeah, I will try the wrap handle next.

I haven't tried a BS ollie 180, that seems like major crash. I rather be in the air! LOL How about if I try inside/outside BS ollie 180? That seems safer to me.

Thanks for the great tips. I'll let you know how everything goes!
Old     (sexyws6mama)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-29-2010, 10:32 AM Reply   
I am able to hold onto the wrapped handle a little bit longer but havent really riden out of the trick yet. Any more tips on wrapped handle?
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-29-2010, 11:06 AM Reply   
practice riding cuff both hands on the handle back to the boat you look back head up away from the boat. both hands should be on the handle placed close to your lead hip to switch direction move the handle to your other hip.try this going slow 10 to 12 mph it is easier to land cuff and let go with back hand. learning to ride in both directions will set you up for toeside and heelside b/s 180s.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-30-2010, 4:11 PM Reply   
to make the handle pass easier you bend forward slightly . then with your lead hand pull and rotate handle palm up to the middle of your back where you can grab with your other hand.what also helps is you pull the handle bend at the waist away from the boat. its like you are bending over to pick up something.this way you are pulling with your body instead of your arm . better leverage makes pulling handle to lower middle of your back much easier. try this at slow speeds doing it on the surface . this builds muscle memory. then when you take it to one wake its easy . hope this helps
Old    mojo            07-04-2010, 10:21 PM Reply   
spins are ALL about handle position. where the handle goes determines what your body does. obviously you have to get a good take off and do it at the right time, but handle position is king, or queen in this case. if you can't land wrapped i/o you can't do it w2w so a handle pass is required.
Old     (kiwichick)      Join Date: Jun 2010       07-05-2010, 5:18 PM Reply   
I seem to be having the opposite problem. I'm doing little BS 180s (HS) over one wake at a nice slow speed... well trying to. No problem with the handle pass. I practised it on the ground with my handle tied to a door knob, just jumping and turning and passing until it got to the point where the handle just naturally goes into my other hand. My problem is riding it away. I seem to do a nice little jump, get the handle to my other hand, land in about the right place but my brain goes "where am I and what way should I be going?" so I look around to the boat to get my bearings... and you can imagine what happens! Actually it's not too bad because it's slow speeds but the handle gets yanked from my hand every time!
Old     (swagg)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-06-2010, 8:45 AM Reply   
when you land cuffed you should be looking away from the boat(opposite direction of travel) when landing blind or wrapped you should be looking at the shore when you land.

that was my biggest problem learning spins from fs 5's to bs 1's i find if your not looking at the shore through out the spin you have no way to stop your self from spinning and no way to keep your self on axis.

the way i corrected this problem was learning all my spins on a trampoline and useing the roof tops around me as the "shore" helpped lots.