Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (bmcgee)      Join Date: Nov 2007       02-24-2010, 10:15 AM Reply   
I just booked a flight to Austria for the first week of May. I'm flying into Vienna and meeting up with a friend who is already over there studying abroad. Im looking for some ideas on what cities I should travel to and what sites I should see. I will only be over there for 10 days so I need to budget my time. I will for sure be meeting up with some other friends in Switzerland, but I would also like see some of Germany and possibly Amsterdam.
Old     (bmcgee)      Join Date: Nov 2007       02-24-2010, 5:30 PM Reply   
anyone?
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       02-24-2010, 10:18 PM Reply   
Throw another shrimp on the barbie, mate.
Old     (lugwrench)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-25-2010, 5:36 AM Reply   
Hit up Salzburg while in Austria, it turned out to be one of my favorite cities in my trek across Europe. Friendly people, awesome architecture, cheap beer and easy to get around. Rarely ever need a taxi to get around, feet and bikes are the best way. The Salzburg fortress is really interesting, Mozart’s house and plenty of beer gardens right down town. Red Bull’s hangar 7 is pretty cool at sunset (Red Bull’s headquarters is in Salzburg). If you want to take a drive there are the gondola and hang gliding trips in the mountains, and a tour of the Eagles Nest.

We hit up Munich while in Germany. A must is the Hofbrauhaus, giant brewery/restaurant, can get a little rowdy but always a lot of fun. The residence is really interesting if you’re into history but it can get a little long. The castle tour is supposed be pretty good although we didn’t have time for it. There are beer/brewery tours that are a lot of fun. You could always stop by the Nurburgring on your way and give that a drive!

I can’t speak highly enough about Salzburg and Munich, probably because of how friendly the people were while we were there, some of the most fun we had was fumbling through a conversation with the locals in broken German/English over a lot of beer. Have fun.

Upload
You can't tell because it was taken with a crappy point and shoot camera but there was a wakeboat running around on that lake. We took this from a bar in Salzburg, I've already decided I'm retiring there :-)
Old     (jungle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       02-25-2010, 7:14 AM Reply   
Make sure and check out Interlaken in Switzerland...super tight place...
Old     (salty87)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-25-2010, 7:18 AM Reply   
another HUGE vote for interlaken
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       02-25-2010, 8:06 AM Reply   
Fat-B - That place looks familiar. Are you sure it was from a bar...because I took mine on The Sound of Music Tour!

Upload
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       02-25-2010, 8:11 AM Reply   
Brett - Dachau is one of the first concentration camps and is located not too far from Munich. I would highly suggest going to check it out. It is a very humbling but fascinating experience.

As others have said, Interlaken is a really cool place.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       02-25-2010, 9:14 AM Reply   
Spend some time drinking beer in Munich. The birthplace of beer and home of the best hops in the world.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       02-25-2010, 9:14 AM Reply   
Jeremy, AUSTRIA not australia
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       02-25-2010, 10:16 AM Reply   
Nacho - It was a Dumb and Dumber reference. So what does not getting it make you?! Haha...just kidding Bro.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-25-2010, 10:26 AM Reply   
^^ and Jeremy beat me to it. That was the first thing I thought of when I saw " Headed to Austria"

Too Funny!
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-25-2010, 10:26 AM Reply   
so i have been to Austria 5 times now and id say go to Munich, Germany. Salzburg, Austria. Innsbruck is pretty cool but huge city. there are also some pretty hidden quit places.. let me know if you want to go deep in the alps.

other than that i agree 100 percent what Fat-B said.
Old    deltahoosier            02-25-2010, 10:45 AM Reply   
I love to throw out the "(insert country) eh? Throw another shrimp on the barby for me" out of context all the time. I think it is hilarious. I love it talking to someone and finding out they are from say Canada. "Canada eh? Well, throw another shrimp on the barby for me" and use the dumb and dumber voice.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-25-2010, 10:50 AM Reply   
for the rocky mountains this isn't very rocky.

I was thinkin the same thing. That John Denver is full of s### man
Old     (lugwrench)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-25-2010, 10:56 AM Reply   
That is hillarious Eubanks, busted

My wife and my sister in law talked us into it. In all honesty it did have a pretty cool tour of the country side. Yeah wasn't so much a bar but a coffee shop that was part of the tour, although I chose to have beer so I'm standing by my story!
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-25-2010, 11:23 AM Reply   
I don't know Lloyd, the french are A**holes.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       02-25-2010, 11:27 AM Reply   
Oops! Never thought missing that movie would come back to bite me in the ass....
Old    deltahoosier            02-25-2010, 11:35 AM Reply   
Nice hooters...
Old     (bmcgee)      Join Date: Nov 2007       02-25-2010, 4:38 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the replies, It sounds like there will be plenty of things to see that are relatively close to Austria. I am definitely interested in seeing Dachau, I've always wanted to tour a concentration camp, and i'm sure its a pretty humbling experience. Interlaken is also on my list and i will for sure be traveling to Switzerland. My friend is staying in Graz, and i think we will probably stop off in Salzburg on our way to Munich.

Would anyone recommend spending any time in Amsterdam? Or should there be enough to do in Switzerland, Austria, and Germany for the 10 days i'll be there?
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-25-2010, 6:18 PM Reply   
i have never been to Amsterdam but my fiance has and she was not really a fan and on that note she was single and ready to party in those days. But if its on your list then do it but think of a full day wasted on travel. with Switzerland, Austria, and Germany they are in a small proximity so you don't really waste time traveling. Im pretty sure Salzberg is only an hour by train from Munich. so its really close.
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-25-2010, 6:20 PM Reply   
Fat-B,

I went with some friends to the hill from the sounds of music and it was in the morning and i tried to run down the hill and at s#$& because the grass was so wet.