Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       01-26-2010, 7:32 PM Reply   
http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-january-25-2010/obama-speaks-to-a-sixth-grade-classroom

ohferchrissake
Old     (paulsmith)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-26-2010, 7:54 PM Reply   
lol wow
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       01-26-2010, 7:59 PM Reply   
Saw that. Guy can't even talk to a class of elementary students!

Kinda shows how over his head he is...
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       01-26-2010, 8:03 PM Reply   
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/01/26/obama-teleprompter-sixth-grade-video_n_436406.html

So evidently he only used it addressing the press. Is that whole setup really necessary in a clssroom though? The whole thing just looks absurd and out of place.
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-26-2010, 8:43 PM Reply   
Yeah, it's ridiculous. I'm sorry, but if I could memorize a speech when I was 13 to give to a church congregation (with a hard copy on the podium in front of me in case I lost where I was), then he should be able to make a brief remark to the press without teleprompters.

I just can't grasp it.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       01-26-2010, 11:48 PM Reply   
It's amazing
Old     (fogey)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-27-2010, 9:49 AM Reply   
So, he "only" used the teleprompter to "address" the press, and the only problem is the optics?

Heaven forbid that Obama actually engage in a little conversation with the press. I guess that only happens with foreign dignitaries who wouldn't tolerate a teleprompter. Well, and Democrat senators behind closed doors to buy their votes. Apparently American citizens only rate having pre-packaged lectures - I mean, "speeches" - read to them.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       01-27-2010, 12:09 PM Reply   
Obama is a joke, a bad joke at that.
Old     (wakedoctor)      Join Date: Dec 2004       01-27-2010, 12:41 PM Reply   
This topic reminded me of a joke I read on TeamTalk the other day:

While suturing up a cut on the hand of a 75 year old rancher, whose hand had been caught in the gate while working his cattle, the doctor struck up a conversation with the old man. Eventually the topic got around to Obama, and his being our president.

The old rancher said, "Well, ya know, Obama is just a Post Turtle."

Now not being familiar with the term, the doctor asked,

What's a "Post Turtle?"

The old rancher said, "When you're driving down a country road and you come across a fence post with a turtle balanced on top, that's a post turtle."

The old rancher saw the puzzled look on the doctor's face so he continued to explain. "You know he didn't get up there by himself, he doesn't belong up there, he doesn't know what to do while he's up there, he sure as heck ain't goin' anywhere, and you just wonder what kind of dumb a$$es put him up there in the first place."
Old     (baldboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       01-27-2010, 9:03 PM Reply   
Obama without his teleprompter makes Bush look like one of the greatest speaker's of all time.
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       02-07-2010, 9:45 PM Reply   
Well I thought it couldn't get any worse than Obama teleprompter-mania. Guess I was wrong.

p1

p2

p3

Yes, she wrote crib notes - on her hand. The gems are:

"energy"
"tax cuts" (budget cuts with budget crossed out and replaced with tax)
"lift american spirits"

http://tpmcafe.talkingpointsmemo.com/talk/blogs/s/p/spiegelman/2010/02/sarah-palins-crib-notes-explai.php?ref=reccafe
Old     (magicr)      Join Date: May 2004       02-07-2010, 10:43 PM Reply   
She needs all the help she can get!!!

She's like driving by a car wreck. You don't want to look but you just got to.
Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       02-08-2010, 5:43 AM Reply   
Mixed emotions on this one. Yes, she should have used an index card, but I would prefer her to have these one word reminders than to read a beforehand written speech. Obama teleprompter says the same thing, it just takes about 500 words to say "lift american spirit".
Old     (snyder)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-08-2010, 7:52 AM Reply   
you guys CAN'T be serious.

I'm not a Sarah fan, and i'm sick of hearing how she's the current rebublican front-runner...
but you can in no way compare having a few bullet points scribed on her hand to obama's reliance on teleprompters. you guys are desperate.
Old     (meathead65)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-08-2010, 12:05 PM Reply   
Yeah...pretty big difference. I'm no Palin fan, but she is a refreshing difference from Obama, who has been groomed, handled, prepped, and tele-prompted straight to the top with little to no practical experience.

Personally, I think it is high time to do away with the professional politician at every level. You get elected to serve on the national level, and you get 12 years to do your thing. After that, you go back to the real world just like every one you are supposed to be serving. Serving your country as an elected official should be a short term privilege, not a 40 year lifetime career sucking the taxpayers dry. Most of these bozos in Washington DC (as well as at most State levels) are so out of touch with the day to day realities that we all face it is not even funny.
Old     (depoint50ae)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-08-2010, 2:51 PM Reply   
As a Republican I hope that Sarah isn't the front runner of the party or the Dems will have an easy victory in 2012.
Old     (bg__dereks_mom)      Join Date: Aug 2009       02-08-2010, 3:19 PM Reply   
depoint50ae,

I feel the same way too. It will create a bigger circus if she ran. I'm kind of
hoping Newt will run.
Old     (wakemetoday)      Join Date: Mar 2006       02-08-2010, 3:35 PM Reply   
I'd like to see Paul Ryan run but I don't think he'd be nominated. I like Newt Gingrich; however, I'm afraid he'd have little appeal to the younger voters and, besides running a less-than-adequate campaign, not appealing to the younger voters may have hurt McCain.
Old     (mike_gilbert)      Join Date: Sep 2004       02-08-2010, 3:51 PM Reply   
Ditto with you guys on Palin, I just dont get the craze over her. I hope to God she doesnt get the nomination in '12, if so its going to be 4 more long years.
Old     (bg__dereks_mom)      Join Date: Aug 2009       02-08-2010, 3:56 PM Reply   
Ron
Maybe that is why I like Newt. I'm an old voter.
Old     (snyder)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-08-2010, 4:44 PM Reply   
there are 3 people w/an interest in Sarah Palin hype right now.

Fox news ...they just signed her as a commentator)

Main stream media (basically everyone except fox news) ...they stir up their base when they tell Palin stories (like the one above)

And Palin herself/manager/publisher ...I think she knows this is an extension of her 15 minutes of fame and is going to milk it for all it's worth. i think she has no real intention on running but won't completely rule it out because it would put her back to irrelevant status.

As far as appealing to the younger crowd... no offense, but that's what got us in this mess in the 1st place. Obama was the anti-bush. We don't need a "cool" president, we need a president that knows what the hell he's doing or at least knows how to run something.
It would be funny if it weren't so sad to think that Scott Brown, Freshman Senator from MA will have about as much time in the senate as Barack did when he decided to run for president.
Old     (wakemetoday)      Join Date: Mar 2006       02-08-2010, 6:11 PM Reply   
No offense taken but you understand my point. Without at least trying to appeal to the young, it'll be hard to win an election. McCain had a difficult time holding his patience when younger voters would ask him questions.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       02-09-2010, 10:35 AM Reply   
There wouldn't be any issues for Palin scribbling notes on her hand (granted the "bullets" on her hand are mainstays of the conservative agenda, so one would assume that someone so "in touch" with the conservative base would have the bullets engraved into their brain), but don't criticize Obama for using a teleprompter, while you're essentially doing the exact same thing.

It would be the same if she were knocking him for smoking, with a Malboro light in her hand.
Old     (bflat53212)      Join Date: Mar 2003       02-09-2010, 11:23 AM Reply   
Jeremy you're kidding right? Going to a grade school with the presidential podium and 2 teleprompters is the same thing as scribbling a few talking points?
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-09-2010, 11:24 AM Reply   
i think using bullet points on your hand is SO different then a full teleprompter. i mean come on. how many people here have actually done a full blown speech? its hard and by using 3 bullet points for a long speech, even harder. now if i had people typing to me what to say well hey that's just a cake walk.

good try though America with this comparison
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       02-09-2010, 11:25 AM Reply   
Her speech was made using prepared remarks - not the crib notes. The crib notes were for when she was taking questions.
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-09-2010, 11:27 AM Reply   
F#$% give me a teleprompter everyday and call me mister president.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       02-09-2010, 11:50 AM Reply   
Michael, any speech class (high school or college level) is going to deduct major points for reading off your hand while giving a speech. NOTE CARDS are what we were taught to refer to, not the palm of our hand.

I have never seen Obama or any other public figure doing this while conducting an interview.

Upload
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-09-2010, 11:58 AM Reply   
Jeremy i totally agree, last semester i had to do a 20 minute speech with no notes/ cards or teleprompter. i was just trying to get the point across to some "no names" that regardless of hand or cards a teleprompter can give you unlimited info on any topic given (team of people typing the info in), thus making them VERY Different.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       02-09-2010, 12:05 PM Reply   
And here are 3 instances of Palin using teleprompters while delivering speeches during the 2008 campaign.

Upload

Upload

Upload

Not bashing anyone's use or nonuse of a teleprompter, just bashing someone being hypocritical of someone else.
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-09-2010, 12:09 PM Reply   
i will be honest its all ridiculous, i can say that talking to a bunch of sixth graders vs. the whole country should be done without the use of a prompter.
Old     (bflat53212)      Join Date: Mar 2003       02-09-2010, 12:14 PM Reply   
He was in a classroom with school children!!!! Quite different from being on the campaign trail don't you think?
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-09-2010, 12:16 PM Reply   
Skubz, i agree. talking to a bunch of little kids.lol what a joke
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       02-09-2010, 12:28 PM Reply   
As stated earlier the promoter and podium were there for his remarks to the press not the kids. As also stated earlier, it was a dumb place to set all that up and just looks ridiculous.
Old     (dav51lin)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-09-2010, 12:35 PM Reply   
if newt and his failed policies or sarah run its a boom for the dems.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       02-09-2010, 1:32 PM Reply   
"Quite different from being on the campaign trail don't you think?"

Wes stated it at least twice, that the teleprompters were not used during the talks with schoolchildren, only the press concerning some new jobs creation program, but oh well it was wrong.

My point is, during the Teabaggers conference in Nashville, Palin made a snide remark about Obama's use of teleprompters. Do you not see the hypocracy? That was my point. But I'm sure if you research past presidential use of teleprompters, all took advantage of the technology (and yes I know Abraham Lincoln and GW didn't use a teleprompter, I am referring to presidents in office since the teleprompter was invented).
Old     (bflat53212)      Join Date: Mar 2003       02-09-2010, 2:04 PM Reply   
"Wes stated it at least twice, that the teleprompters were not used during the talks with schoolchildren, only the press concerning some new jobs creation program, but oh well it was wrong."

So what? He should be aware of the situation he is in. Is he that disingenuous that he can't give a speech without the Presidential Podium for fear of not looking presidential?

I really don't care that much, I just find it funny that people are actually defending its use.

"Palin made a snide remark about Obama's use of teleprompters"

She wasn't ripping on him because he uses a teleprompter, but because he almost always uses a teleprompter. Apparently she was right. Everyone knows he is awful when you get him to ad-lib.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       02-09-2010, 3:59 PM Reply   
"She wasn't ripping on him because he uses a teleprompter, but because he almost always uses a teleprompter. Apparently she was right."

Where I'm from, we refer to that as the pot calling the kettle black.
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       02-16-2010, 5:01 PM Reply   
http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-february-8-2010/amerigasm