Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 16, 2009

Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-09-2009, 9:53 AM Reply   
maybe something like "See why friends don't let friends powerturn at NoPowerTurns.com"

Just my opinion but I like the call to action. Either way I think you'll have people who will or won't do it no matter what it says.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-09-2009, 10:45 AM Reply   
I agree that a "call to action" will result in more action than a statement or quote. Maybe someone who took more than the intro to marketing class (my only experience in marketing) in college will chime in with experience in this area.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-09-2009, 10:58 AM Reply   
Perfect is the enemy of the good. Everyone will have personal preferences. Either/any similar version will work.

I'm ready. Where do I send my check for an order?
Old     (davenk)      Join Date: Feb 2008       11-09-2009, 11:07 AM Reply   
Heck, I would have my local marina hand the stickers out to all boaters, including tubers! This will help us all. Let's get some stickers before 2010 season is here! (That is March for me)

Dealers could hand them out to new boaters, at boat shows, the potential with this is endless and we can help a lot of people out even the fisherman so they only get our waves from one direction.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       11-09-2009, 11:12 AM Reply   
I just sent a request for a quote from my sticker guy with the image I created. I told him five inches wide and asked if he could get the "clingy" sticker material. I'll keep you posted.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       11-09-2009, 12:38 PM Reply   
I don't have a $$$ wake boat but you're asking for trouble if I see you putting a sticker on my boat, truck, or in general being shady or climbing on anything I own. I like the idea of a keychain float, pen, or some other cheap but useful thing. Pull up next to them, pilitely ask not to powerturn and toss the trinket to them, or toss it in their boat at the ramp. Stickers would be best for your own boat or truck, regardless of it they are particularly sticky or not.
Old     (devildog_ra)      Join Date: Jun 2007       11-09-2009, 2:12 PM Reply   
sorry cory but there are WAY too many people that do power turns for me to politely drive up to each of them and hand them a dinky key chain float that asks them not to power turn. Im not saying (nor do i believe anyone here is) that these stickers should be placed on anyone else's property. The point is for them to see it on your board, car, trailer, boat etc, whatever YOU would want to put it on to raise awareness.

Dave I know for a fact that my local boardshop (riptank boardshop) would love to include these stickers with the sale of any wakeboard related product purchased.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       11-09-2009, 2:23 PM Reply   
Every situation is different. There are definitely times when you can't just go up and put anything on someone's boat without getting punched in the mouth, so you'll have to use your discretion depending on the situation. I hope to have regular stickers, "clingy" stickers and floaty keychains, so you can choose which will work for you and go with it!
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       11-09-2009, 2:27 PM Reply   
I think the website will have to have suggestions for distributing the items. There are all kinds of non-rude ways to hand them out. If you see a powerturner at the dock, just walk up to him and hand him a stack of stickers and tell him to help you get the word out. That way you're not accusing him, you're just asking him to help. He'll definitely visit the site and learn a thing or two!
Old     (bakes5)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-09-2009, 3:08 PM Reply   
Kind of reminds me of the ELF tactic of "SUV Bagging" where they run around and put stickers on SUV's.

How exactly are tubers supposed to tube without power turning? So what exactly are you going to tell the tubers? "Excuse me sir. I noticed that you were power turning out there with your kids on the tubes. If you could go in a straight line and stay away from me while me and my crew are trying to wakeboard I would appreciate it. Here is a nice sticker for your boat $60K boat and $50K SUV to help with my cause. Actually, if you have the time, I have a stack of them that I would appreciate if you helped me pass out as well."

What about double ups...are they illegal now as well?

Personally, I think the best policy would be to ban PWC's and tubing from the lake before 0900.

Feel free to handout key chains...just don't put anything on anything I own.
Old     (family_deckhand)      Join Date: May 2008       11-09-2009, 3:42 PM Reply   
I agree DO NOT place stickers or otherwise touch someone else's property. I don't care if you think it won't harm my boat. That is not a decision for you to make about my stuff.

Perhaps I will create some clingy stickers to place on boats for other things I don't care for. Let’s see how about annoying music. Maybe anglers can create some stickers to put on our boats complaining about wake boarding.

Seriously, no one should be promoting putting any kind of sticker; touching or otherwise screwing with a boat other than their own no matter how justified you think you are.

This is a great idea to get word out by putting these items on your trailer, boat, dock, etc. The main point is that it’s your stuff you’re putting these things on. Don't screw up an otherwise good message by pi$$ing people off.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       11-09-2009, 4:35 PM Reply   
Powerturning is the act of turning your boat around at full speed for no other reason than to get back to your rider quickly. The only situation in which I can think of this having any use whatsoever is in an emergency when you are concerned about your rider's safety. So turning while tubing and doing double ups does not constitute powerturning.
Old     (davenk)      Join Date: Feb 2008       11-09-2009, 4:55 PM Reply   
so maybe it was a pipedream to tell tubers not to do this, however last summer a tuber did a powerturn within 100' of my boat when my 10 yo niece was in the water for her 2nd time boarding, i was not happy. then they ran a ground anyway.

these stickers are not much different then the flyers put under your windsheild wiper at the local shopping mall.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-09-2009, 9:30 PM Reply   
its starting to sounding like a disclaimer will need to be put on the web site to release nopowerturning.com and affiliates from harm or accident from getting punched in the mouth, some liability statement thing... haha, but serious.

here is one more attempt at an image of a boat. i agree that the slash appears to be a negative on the boat itself or wakeboarding, etc. but maybe a red arrow on the path?

Upload

and here is just the image if someone else likes it and wants to play with it
Upload