Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 16, 2009

Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       10-22-2009, 11:54 AM Reply   
Got this email today, thought I would share.

Thank you for your continued support of the Santee Lakes Cable Board Park!

After being continued by the Santee City Council during the August 12th hearing, we’ve made some minor adjustments to the proposed cable park plans. Finally, we are ready and headed towards the City Council once again!

The project will be heard in front of the Santee City Council on Wednesday, October 28th at 7:00 pm.

The SLCBP is reaching out to the Santee residents for help.

We need your SUPPORT!

With your help, this cable park will be a reality!

SANTEE RESIDENTS: The City Council especially values the input and opinions of local residents. For this reason, Santee residents are urged to make sure their voices heard by attending the hearing, speaking at the hearing and by contacting the Mayor and Councilmembers via email or by phone:
Old     (steve_jones)      Join Date: Jun 2006       10-22-2009, 12:31 PM Reply   
Man this has been in the works for so long. Big props to sticking it out in that location!
Old     (santeelakescablepark)      Join Date: Jul 2009       10-22-2009, 1:48 PM Reply   
Thanks Jeff for posting this- you beat me to it!

We are ALMOST there! I have been so impressed with the showing of support from the members on this site. It is so appreciated! We have one more City Council hearing next Wednesday, Oct. 28th at 7:00. I hope to see some of you there, as we still need the local support to get this approved!

If you have any questions or need more info, please e-mail me at info@santeelakescableboardpark.com.

Elizabeth
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       10-22-2009, 10:31 PM Reply   
if the project gets approved, how long do you think it will be till construction is finished?
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-23-2009, 4:58 AM Reply   
I can't believe the battle you guys have put up, and for so long. It's amazing. You really deserve the go ahead for perseverance alone.
Old     (santeelakescablepark)      Join Date: Jul 2009       10-23-2009, 6:37 AM Reply   
Thanks Benjamin- It's been 3 1/2 years to date that my company has been involved as the developer, but the water district started working on the concept 7 years ago. I can't wait to see it approved as I have put countless hours into this!

DC- if we get an approval at this hearing, we hope to be open for business by late Spring 2011.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-23-2009, 7:05 AM Reply   
Elizabeth,

Make sure to get the message over to wakeboardsd.net
Old     (wakeboardlasvegas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-24-2009, 9:02 AM Reply   
WOW.. even longer to open. that sucks but keep up the fight!!
Old     (santeelakescablepark)      Join Date: Jul 2009       10-25-2009, 8:26 AM Reply   
I did just find out we will be doing a Pre-Council Rally pizza party at Round Table Pizza from 5:30 to 6:30 in Santee. It's on the corner of Mast and Magnolia, just down the street from City Hall. We do still need supporters, we do still need an audience, so PLEASE come out and help support the park!! Hope to see you there!
Old     (santeelakescablepark)      Join Date: Jul 2009       10-28-2009, 8:51 AM Reply   
Just a reminder about the City Council hearing scheduled for tonight!! I am hoping to see some of you out there! Don't forget to come have some pizza before the hearing at Round Table Pizza from 5:30 to 6:30! See you then!
Old     (dwcchad)      Join Date: Sep 2009       10-28-2009, 9:13 AM Reply   
Good Luck Tonight

The DWC shows its supports
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       10-28-2009, 10:02 AM Reply   
I am trying to work it out, but it's my son's birthday and relatives are coming over. I am sure between WW and WBSD there will be a great turnout. Someone call me or text me with the results in case I can't make it. Been a long run. Finger's crossed.
Old     (santeelakescablepark)      Join Date: Jul 2009       10-28-2009, 10:10 AM Reply   
Buzz- e-mail me your cell # & I will text you after it's over tonight.... It's the least I can do since your legs are still sore from standing at the last hearing:-)

info@santeelakescableboardpark.com
Old     (wakerider42)      Join Date: May 2002       10-28-2009, 1:41 PM Reply   
Good luck tonight everyone! I made the last one, but can't make this one since I just had my shoulder reconstructed yesterday.

For people who can't make it down there, show your support by dropping an e-mail to the Santee city council at the following address:

Council@ci.santee.ca.us

Danny
Old     (deltawake)      Join Date: Sep 2004       10-29-2009, 7:43 AM Reply   
What happened last night?
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       10-29-2009, 8:18 AM Reply   
IT PASSED OMF!!!!

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2009/oct/29/bn29santee03242/

YEA BOI!!!!!!

(Message edited by slipknot on October 29, 2009)

(Message edited by slipknot on October 29, 2009)
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       10-29-2009, 8:44 AM Reply   
Congrats, this is great for Cali.

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2009/oct/29/bn29santee03242/

Santee council OKs cable ski park
By Michele Clock
Union-Tribune Staff Writer

12:24 p.m. October 29, 2009

SANTEE ďż˝ A much-criticized plan to build a cable ski park and restaurant at Santee Lakes Recreation Preserve is a go.

After listening to nearly 30 public speakers, most of whom were opposed, a divided Santee City Council voted Wednesday night to approve the proposal submitted by Padre Dam Municipal Water District.

Under the plans, a cable ski park and restaurant with an alcohol license would be built at the preserve's southernmost lake. A cable system would pull waterskiers and wakeboarders around the lake for a price at least $25 an hour.

The plans have triggered vehement opposition from residents, who Wednesday night listed numerous concerns, including noise and traffic impacts, drunken driving and the idea of allowing development in a tranquil park in the city.

Mayor Randy Voepel, who had expressed major concerns about the plans at a meeting in August, voted in favor this time, along with Councilmen Brian W. Jones and Hal Ryan, though few significant changes had been made to the plans since then. Councilmen Jack Dale and John Minto voted against the proposal.

Voepel said he didn't want to restrict Padre Dam's �pursuit of another good activity,� though the impacts of the project were not fully known.

�I'm willing to roll the dice,� Voepel said. �I'm willing to support Padre Dam on this because Padre Dam has a good track record of being a good neighbor to everyone, and I expect Padre Dam to be a good neighbor.�

Proponents have argued the facility would fulfill a recreational need in the city and draw users from across Southern California.

Before the vote, Santee resident Adrian van Ravesteyn, who lives near the preserve, told the council the arguments in favor were �scant.�

�This beautiful park is right now at risk of being squandered away (for a plan) that ultimately benefits a very few,� he said.
Old     (seth)      Join Date: Sep 2002       10-29-2009, 8:59 AM Reply   
Wow that is really awesome that California will be getting a cable!!

At least $25 an hour seems a little steep! A half day for $100 is scary, when TSR is $36 for the day. It doesnt seem like many people will "frequent" the place if its like that?
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-29-2009, 9:09 AM Reply   
Very nice! We couldn't make the meeting due to school night, sports schedules, etc. I was thinking there would be a lot less supporters there for the same reason.

Glad to see the Council make a progressive, exciting decision rather than cater to the same old NYMBY arguments that re-surface again & again in CA.

Wonder where the $25 "per hour" came in. Hadn't heard that number below. Elizabeth?
Old     (santeelakescablepark)      Join Date: Jul 2009       10-29-2009, 9:10 AM Reply   
WoooHooo, it passed! Whew...Thanks for the support and helping us get through this! The WakeWorld support was fantastic at the first meeting and the momentum carried us through last night. Now the real work begins....

Seth- the prices have not been set in stone, but it will not be a flat $25 per hour. That was misquoted. We will structure the rates similarly to the existing US cable parks and sell 1-hour, 2-hour, 1/2 day and full day passes.
Old     (seth)      Join Date: Sep 2002       10-29-2009, 9:21 AM Reply   
Awesome, cant wait! I know ill be making some trips down there.
Old     (priapism)      Join Date: Mar 2003       10-29-2009, 9:47 AM Reply   
Yahoo! Congratulations! Can't wait to go there, and as usual, keep us posted.
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       10-29-2009, 9:53 AM Reply   
Had to miss the meeting, but freekin' exstatic to hear that it passed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks a TON to everyone who has supported this over the years by showing support at the meetings, campaign booths, etc. Especially everyone on the development end for the concept and design, and for pushing this through. Thanks also to the council members who realize how much of a good thing this will be for Santee, and SoCal. Man I sound like I just won an Emmy. Feels like it. Just VERY excited to see this pass and get rolling.

Elizabeth, Let me know when I can start work, and where to show up. Ready TODAY!
Old     (santeelakescablepark)      Join Date: Jul 2009       10-29-2009, 10:02 AM Reply   
Lol Buzz! Thanks for your enthusiasm! I'm excited to see this thing get rolling too! I do expect it will be a while before I can put you on the payroll though;)
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       10-29-2009, 10:13 AM Reply   
Thanks Elizabeth. A man's gotta try!
Old     (tentcitygoon)      Join Date: Mar 2006       10-29-2009, 10:46 AM Reply   
"Proponents have argued the facility would fulfill a recreational need in the city and draw users from across Southern California. "

Users from Southern California? How about the entire state North and South! This is great news. Thanks for all those who put in the effort and finally got this through!
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       10-29-2009, 11:07 AM Reply   
I'm with you Tony. I'll be making the trek to Santee Lakes a few times a summer once this bad boy is up and running! Can't wait for Cali to get into the game!! Thank you Elizabeth!
Old     (wakeviolater)      Join Date: Sep 2004       10-29-2009, 11:44 AM Reply   
HECK YEAH!!! too bad it will be years before its built, but that is AWESOME that CA will have a cable!
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-29-2009, 11:52 AM Reply   
Not too long. I think they're talking about summer 2011 (18 months).
Old     (nsolis220)      Join Date: May 2007       10-29-2009, 12:14 PM Reply   
i just got back from florida, and i hit up o dub and mc cormicks. They are very simple places that provide exactly what a rider needs. Water a cable and sliders. oh and a building to charge. I dont know exactly why it would take 18 months to finish. Sounds like the lake is there already all they need is the cable and sliders.

One thing i saw is they dont sell alcohol or allow it on site. makes sense seems like a greater risk and harder to get the licenses. Seems as if that could have been a sticking issue.

Couldnt the park go up first and the frill?s later
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-29-2009, 12:16 PM Reply   
this truly is awesome news! i can't wait for it to open. i'll definitely try to be there on opening day!
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-29-2009, 12:24 PM Reply   
"The plans have triggered vehement opposition from residents, who Wednesday night listed numerous concerns, including noise"

I love it when people who have no idea what they are talking about draw up complaints. Cable systems are quieter than a running boat by far!

The others like Drunk Driving and Traffic are just pathetic, haha.

Glad it Passed, and happy for all the people in the area.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-29-2009, 12:28 PM Reply   

quote:

By Caleb Rountree (dlwsrider) on Thursday, October 29, 2009 - 12:24 pm:

"The plans have triggered vehement opposition from residents, who Wednesday night listed numerous concerns, including noise"

I love it when people who have no idea what they are talking about draw up complaints. Cable systems are quieter than a running boat by far!

The others like Drunk Driving and Traffic are just pathetic, haha.

no offense, but it looks like you're the one that doesn't know what he's talking about. those are all very valid reasons. fortunately, the council members decided to risk it as the rewards will benefit the city.
Old     (wakeripper)      Join Date: Oct 2002       10-29-2009, 12:31 PM Reply   
So stoked on this and i find it funny that the people that were against it had very little insight as to what a cable is.... My understanding is that they had taken the city council to TSR and after that trip they were sold on the idea....Can't wait to see this finally come together.....I guess i will have to go and search for that free pass
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       10-29-2009, 12:41 PM Reply   
"My understanding is that they had taken the city council to TSR"
awesome! I had suggested that a while back. glad it happened.
I can't wait for this to open. just one more excuse for me to move to SD!!

Elizabeth - let me know when jobs are available!!
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-29-2009, 1:23 PM Reply   
randy, damn! that reminds me - i need to look for our passes!!! i hope i didn't lose them.
Old     (santeelakescablepark)      Join Date: Jul 2009       10-29-2009, 1:39 PM Reply   
Just to clarify- The Council did not go to TSR. One Council member did visit several years ago when the water district was initially investigating the concept. But, the Council as a whole did not take that trip.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       10-29-2009, 2:30 PM Reply   
haha. probably a good idea clearing that up Elizabeth!
Old     (wakeripper)      Join Date: Oct 2002       10-29-2009, 4:13 PM Reply   
I apologize for not checking my sources properly....lol

Joe i thought that they took down our info...(email addy/phone number) or something like that as i'm sure that they knew 2 years later that we would have lost them....lol Elizabeth can you please verify this...thanks
Old     (jdwake1)      Join Date: Sep 2007       10-29-2009, 6:47 PM Reply   
This is sick congrats! I can't wait to visit!!!
Old     (santeelakescablepark)      Join Date: Jul 2009       10-29-2009, 7:35 PM Reply   
If I gave you a pass at one point, I will have record of it- somewhere.... hee hee. I kept it all, so if you can't find it, I can look it up.

E~
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       10-29-2009, 9:48 PM Reply   
Congrats! from USA Wakeboard.
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-30-2009, 5:35 AM Reply   
WHOA! Killer! I'm super happy for you guys! Cali is finally getting a cable! I'm sure you guys will be tearing it up, and I will be sure to make a trip to tear it up with you!

Elizabeth, are you using a Rixen cable?
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       11-01-2009, 12:17 PM Reply   
Can't stop thinking about it! I'm just sayin'!
Old     (deltawake)      Join Date: Sep 2004       11-01-2009, 5:26 PM Reply   
Start building it before someone changes their mind!
Old     (johnathan)      Join Date: Nov 2009       11-03-2009, 9:54 AM Reply   
hey guys congratulations on the win this will be truly something great for the city of santee does anyone know when construction will begin
Old     (santeelakescablepark)      Join Date: Jul 2009       11-03-2009, 10:00 AM Reply   
Thanks everyone for the congratulation wishes, excitement and support! We are thrilled, to say the least!

I will update as I know more, but we anticipate construction commencing within 6-8 months.

E~
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       11-03-2009, 10:58 AM Reply   
Thanks for the update Elizabeth. I have a shovel and a ladder. I am going to head over and get started.
Old     (sixeye)      Join Date: Apr 2005       11-04-2009, 6:52 PM Reply   
Congrats. Looking forward to it!