Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 28, 2009

Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       06-21-2009, 11:25 PM Reply   
Anyone have any experience with them, good or bad?
I just picked one up for a reasonable price and am going to wait until winter to install it.
Any input would be great.

Here is the link to the one I have. I still need to buy the regulator and a larger isolator before I do anything.
http://www.great-water.com/pages/Amptech/at_lg_case.shtml
Old     (266crownlinebr)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-22-2009, 1:51 AM Reply   
That's a lot of money for an alternator. If you have to have that high output, I would have went with a Mando or this Si...

http://store.alternatorparts.com/partno2122-si-dr250.aspx

What do you need that high output for?
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       06-22-2009, 5:23 AM Reply   
When I said reasonable, I meant really reasonable (I'm probably one of the cheapest guys I know). The factory alt is only 70amps. I have 4 batteries and 3 amps. I really want to be able to get away from having to charge my batteries every 2-3 consecutive days out. I know I can buy more, and better batteries but I'd like to be able to utilize the alternator in the boat rather than having to rely on a 24hr trickle charge.
With that alternator and the matching regulator I would be able to accomplish this goal much easier.
Maybe its a little excessive but I've seen far worse on here.
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-22-2009, 7:23 AM Reply   
Looks like the pulley on the alt if made for dual belts. Have you thought abtou where your going to add an additional drive belt on your motor?
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-22-2009, 10:29 AM Reply   
Most likely that alternator is an offshore unit or is manufactured by Powerline for Amptech.

Which one did you get Newty?

Here is a link to their website.

http://www.hehr-international.com/alternators.htm

Newty, if you don't mind me asking what did you pay? The reason I ask is we sell HD Power Systems/Powerline and I am wondering if we are inline on pricing. The other concern is even though they are probably the same exact alternator I am not sure if Powerline has gone to the trouble of getting their 24 series alternator approved for marine use.

Newty won't use that belt. He should have a serpentine belt and he will have to find a pulley that will fit but shouldn't be too much. Did you make sure to get a 2" foot alternator Newty?
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       06-22-2009, 11:53 AM Reply   
I was told it was bought 2 years ago for the guy I bought it from as a gift. I found it on craigslist. He said he never used it. It looks brand new, the windings, case, etc. I gave $70 for it after I spoke w/ amptech and verified it would work in my application (2" foot). Amptech also told me that even if the alternator was bad they could go through it for less than $150. So worst case, I would be out $220 for a $650 alt. Either way I thought it would be a great deal.
The other issue I was worried about (after sifting through all the alternator/charging upgrade threads)was the single belt pully that the alternator currently has on it. I was assured by the tech that I would have no issues running a single belt and that the second pully pictured in the link was for running aux equipment. He told me that these alternators were designed as a direct replacement for ambulances, limos, etc but with marine specs so they could easily be used in applications such as mine.
Brett the model # is AM-L160e on the website.

(Message edited by newty on June 22, 2009)
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-22-2009, 12:03 PM Reply   
Newty, does your belt have a V pulley or a serpentine pulley. 160 amps is too much for a single V pulley. You will get no life out of the belt. If you have the 5 rib serpentine pulley you should be ok. You will need to find a pulley that will fit it though if your current pulley doesn't fit.
Old     (266crownlinebr)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-22-2009, 9:46 PM Reply   
$70 or at most $220 is a really good deal. That makes a lot more sense.