Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 18, 2009

Old     (showmedonttellme)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-03-2008, 5:36 PM Reply   
I know all you guys have it done different. Some using 10-12in long strips or whatever? Some using 'pucks'? Can I have a few pics? I'm addicted. Gotta re-wire my whole tower to get them done up top so thats next year, but i might do the inboard ones this year and change my grills. Pics please!! Daytime-pics i mean so I can see the mount. Thanks WWers!
Old     (himain10ance)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-04-2008, 7:43 AM Reply   
i only put a single LED behind my grill. I only wanted a mild accent. It is all preference I dont like the rings all the way around the speakers I think they are way to much and doesn't look good. I admit I need to put another one on on each of mineUpload
Old     (jason_b)      Join Date: Feb 2008       06-04-2008, 8:20 AM Reply   
I mounted 8 individual 3mm leds behind the grill. I wanted a subtle glow, but not the eye splitting pain from looking directly at LEDs. I don't like seeing the led lights--personal preference only.
This is a fairly time consuming and precise project. If you're not pretty slick with a soldering iron or handy with projects I would recomend just buying premade rings. You could pretty easily ruin an expensive speaker.
The pics here are a rough mock up I used to see if they would work like I wanted. The speakers are WS 650s.
Upload

Upload

Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (showmedonttellme)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-04-2008, 8:34 AM Reply   
Damn, Not sure I have those skeelz Jason! Thanks though yours look great that's sweet.
Old     (clb)      Join Date: Dec 2007       06-04-2008, 2:11 PM Reply   
Jason, Any specific tips on your previewed install? Looks fairly straight forward to me. This is where your input would be helpful. Like I said "Looks straight forward", but what am I missing. I can see where precision would come in and be time consuming. As with any project, if you have the right equipment and take your time, it usually comes out nice. Although you do need some level of skill.
Old     (jason_b)      Join Date: Feb 2008       06-05-2008, 7:37 AM Reply   
Only tips I can really offer is don't cut until you're sure. You really have to think the whole thing through, what you do for the 1st step may bite your a$$ at the end. Allow more time than you think it will take and pay attention to the polarity. Keep everything as insulated with shrink wrap or liquid electric tape and plan for plenty of time to actually run the wiring through the boat. It's really pretty straight forward if you're good with a soldering iron. It just takes ALOT of time to do this.
Old     (showmedonttellme)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-05-2008, 2:21 PM Reply   
Bumping this for Tim White, hoping he'll show me some daytime pics of his led rings and the lights going in.
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       06-05-2008, 2:33 PM Reply   
I wish I had some pics of the installs.

But the XS650 are like the way Jason did them.

Here are some good places for LED;s

http://www.streetmagicleds.com/
http://www.oznium.com/

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       06-06-2008, 12:09 AM Reply   
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (jason_b)      Join Date: Feb 2008       06-06-2008, 9:26 AM Reply   
more pics I found of the install
cutting the highs speaker wire

Upload

back side, nearly finished. This was the 1st one--they got a lot prettier as I gained experience

Upload

I wanted to be able to take the speakers in and out relatively easy so I pu the connectors on the wires instead of soldering them to the power lead wires.
Upload
Old     (jrhurst)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-06-2008, 11:58 AM Reply   
where do you find the clear round speaker rings at ?
Old     (tigerules)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-06-2008, 12:18 PM Reply   
I know a guy in Tempe, AZ that can make them...
Old     (bullit4888)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-06-2008, 1:46 PM Reply   
Here's mine. I did the singe led behind the grill also. It gives it a nice subtle look.

Upload
Old     (yubasanger)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-06-2008, 1:57 PM Reply   
You have to make the rings out of plexi.
Old     (andy13)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-07-2008, 11:57 PM Reply   
what size wire are you guys running for the leds?
Old     (jason_b)      Join Date: Feb 2008       06-09-2008, 10:19 AM Reply   
I used 22g speaker wire, but only because that's the best wire that I had around the house. You can get away with thinner. They don't suck up much energy so thinner wire is easier to hide and solder.