Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Ccamp2)      Join Date: May 2012       02-19-2016, 11:55 AM Reply   
Hey guys. I have spent the summers on a 2010 Air Nautique on the Illinois River. Over the winter we bought a house on a lake but association rules dont allow anything over 18 feet and 180 horsepower. Currently we Surf and Wakeboard.

Having my own dock and boat I can walk out to every morning is very appealing.. I dont think it makes sense to keep the Nautique.

What is out there that will fit the association rules but I can still get behind?
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-19-2016, 12:19 PM Reply   
You can surf behind a Volvo forward drive but that won't come with less than 200 hp. It looks like you'd be stuck wakeboarding behind an outboard or deciding that slalom is great fun afterall.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       02-19-2016, 12:40 PM Reply   
Yikes. Living on a lake where I could ride would make me nuts.
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-19-2016, 12:47 PM Reply   
Sounds like your a wakeskater now
Old     (ScottyTahoe)      Join Date: Dec 2015       02-19-2016, 12:48 PM Reply   
Maybe you could get away with the new Heyday WT-1. I think it would meet the length requirement but motor would be another issue. There is a recent page on the forum if you look into it.

Nowhere near a Nautique, but at least if would get you on the water.

http://heydayinboards.com/spec/
Old     (DenverRider)      Join Date: Feb 2013       02-19-2016, 1:14 PM Reply   
First - get on the association board. Second - kill all the other members of the association board. I'm sure they're all as old as Grant so you probably just need to make loud noises and abrupt movements so they have heart attacks.
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-19-2016, 3:09 PM Reply   
Does the rules say 180 horsepower motor, or can you have two 180 horsepower motors?
Old     (paulharenberg)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-19-2016, 7:03 PM Reply   
That sucks, and some research should have been done prior to purchase. Sell the house and move to a lake that allows your nautique.

We have some lakes around here with similar rules here. I have been at the shop and seen the guys taking an older inboard, like a skier or a 2001, and fitting a merc 3.0 (~135 hp) into it so the owner could us it on their lake with those type of restrictions. I think there are some older inboards out there under 18'. That is your only bet for an inboard in your situation.
Old     (Coolaintcheap)      Join Date: Jan 2016       02-19-2016, 7:25 PM Reply   
Seems like this type of thread has come up a lot lately! Sure makes me appreciate my local water hole!!!!
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-19-2016, 10:32 PM Reply   
Wakeskate!

Or move
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-20-2016, 6:41 AM Reply   
Put a diesel motor in your boat and take the platform off.
Old     (jsans)      Join Date: Apr 2015       02-22-2016, 7:45 AM Reply   
Searay made a 180 sport bow rider with a 4.3l v6 (190hp). Obviously surfing is out, but I learned my first invert behind an 18ft io.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-22-2016, 6:21 PM Reply   
There was just another thread about this very same subject.
http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=805914
Old     (230Nick)      Join Date: Mar 2014       03-01-2016, 7:01 AM Reply   
I know im going to catch some crap for this.... But i blame wakesurfing for some of these rules being enforced. The river I live on, its narrow for the most part, and has low boat traffic on the upper end due to cold water temps. But the way the boats are secured to docks and shorelines is just terrible! Im constantly catching flack at the home owners meetings. Specifically from one pontoon boat owner who has his boat on the main channel, and uses the walmart brand bumpers. I dont surf past his dock, nor have the ballast loaded up. If im on plain, i will increase the speed and throw the hydrogate down on my 236. But now im idling past his place.

As for my dock protection, I use 24" round bumpers to protect my boat, and have had the game warden fly pass my boat on plain spraying water across the side of it. Luckily insta karma happened, and smacked the lower unit of his outboard across a downed tree 20 yards past my dock.
Old     (biggator)      Join Date: Jul 2010       03-02-2016, 8:50 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 230Nick View Post
I know im going to catch some crap for this.... But i blame wakesurfing for some of these rules being enforced. The river I live on, its narrow for the most part, and has low boat traffic on the upper end due to cold water temps. But the way the boats are secured to docks and shorelines is just terrible! Im constantly catching flack at the home owners meetings. Specifically from one pontoon boat owner who has his boat on the main channel, and uses the walmart brand bumpers. I dont surf past his dock, nor have the ballast loaded up. If im on plain, i will increase the speed and throw the hydrogate down on my 236. But now im idling past his place.

As for my dock protection, I use 24" round bumpers to protect my boat, and have had the game warden fly pass my boat on plain spraying water across the side of it. Luckily insta karma happened, and smacked the lower unit of his outboard across a downed tree 20 yards past my dock.
These HOA issues started long before wakesurfing became a popular thing.. people have been bitching as long as I can remember.
Old     (silvtondvl)      Join Date: Dec 2002       03-02-2016, 10:13 AM Reply   
http://buy.antiqueboat.com/runabouts...8-400-777.html

I guess its either this or move!
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       04-14-2016, 7:37 AM Reply   

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forsa...ls.asp?ID=7805
http://www.riverdavesplace.com/forum...raft-Ski-Tique

Maybe throw a 2 barrel carb on it to get the HP down a bit from probably 200-230 for a factory marine 302 with 600 CFM Holley 4160, good enough. Either that find a less oppressive lake community.