Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 26, 2006

Old     (breakz77)      Join Date: Mar 2003       10-22-2006, 10:30 PM Reply   
Has anyone ever bought a canopy to put on their dock to cover the boat? I've been looking and haven't found to many online (that don't look cheap). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance!
Old     (zipe)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-22-2006, 11:06 PM Reply   
Mike, I'm also in the market for a dock canopy before the rains hit. Just got quoted $2,500.00 for a 12' x 25' from the local canvas shop over at Disco Marina. A wee bit more than I was hoping to spend...or gonna spend. Let me know if ya find any deals out there.

Thanks,

Shawn
Old     (crs)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-23-2006, 8:40 AM Reply   
For a quality dock canopy that is what you are going to pay. I bought mine a couple years ago and thought the price was steep, but it turned out to be one of the best purchases I made.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-23-2006, 9:24 AM Reply   
Myke, everyone that I know goes with the Canvas Factory. They do a great job and they discount your replacement canvas every N years if you do business with them.

What are you doing about your tower? Are you building the awning high enough such that you can float the boat on your hoist with your tower up?
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       10-23-2006, 10:25 AM Reply   
On my lake (in my particular neighborhood) you can't have anything but a canopy per the association rules, so that's what I went with. Most in my area are like a perfect semicircle, but because I thought my racks would get in the way, I had the dock guy use some extra canvas and make the canopy more square at the top. From what I remember, he has a guy fabricate the structure, orders the right size canvas, and then he installs the structure on the tracks and ties up the canvas to the structure.

I'd rather have the "dockhouse" looking dock with a roof instead of the canopy, but I think the canopy offers a little more protection and coverage.
Old     (breakz77)      Join Date: Mar 2003       10-23-2006, 12:21 PM Reply   
Shawn thanks for the update I was planning on checking withm them, like you I would like to not spend that much but just might have too. Maybe we can get a group buy going haaaaahaa

GD thanks for the info also. I definatly want it to be high enough so I don't have to put my tower down.

I'll let you guys know when I finally make a decision..

Thanks again!!!
Old     (c640947)      Join Date: Jan 2005       10-23-2006, 12:39 PM Reply   
Do you have a boat lift? If so, most lift manufacturers sell a canopy, but as a warning unless they have side curtains, which are usually an option, the do not protect against anything except light rain in calm wind when your tower is up. And yes, you will more than likely spend $2500 for one.

Alternative is roof for whole dock. Current setup would determine cost. i.e. is it floating now, what are the ratings of the floats, etc.
Old     (breakz77)      Join Date: Mar 2003       10-23-2006, 4:48 PM Reply   
I do have a lift, I'm not sure which brand though. It was at the house already. I definatly would like to get side curtains.

Sounds like I will be spending more than I planned on

Thanks again everyone!!
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       10-23-2006, 6:15 PM Reply   
myke you can add skirting to your existing cover for very cheap...approx
$
150-200
Old     (breakz77)      Join Date: Mar 2003       10-23-2006, 8:59 PM Reply   
Thanx Adam, once I get one that will be good to know :-)
Old     (c640947)      Join Date: Jan 2005       10-24-2006, 9:49 AM Reply   
yeah the skirting adam got for his cover is very good. his is directly on the boat cover, not a lift cover, but it was aftermarket and high quality. I don't know what the dealers price the skirting for the covers as an option, but I bet more than 200. Also consider that solar shade stuff. Looks like tennis net material, keeps rain and sun out but a little breeze can pass. Our lake doesn't allow it, but I think that stuff would be the best and possibly cheaper. Make sure you get it so it can be rolled up when you dont wanna use it.

if you wanna figure out what type of lift it is and what may be offered, send a picture to my dad (find his info on www.tigerboatdocks.com) and he can tell you all about it and let you know what options you have, regardless of if he can provide them or not. he will shoot you straight on what the best option is for you, even if it local to you and not him.