Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (hookedonboardin)      Join Date: Oct 2006       03-23-2016, 7:47 PM Reply   
So I am putting the finishing touches on my stereo install. In the past I have just gone the 3/4 volume, distortion route as s crude setup. Couple buddies were telling me stereo tuning apps are out there.

I would assume they're pretty decent with the way technology is these days. Any recommendations on something simple yet accurate?
Old     (Preston)      Join Date: Jul 2010       03-24-2016, 5:24 AM Reply   
Never used an app before, I'll have to check them out to see if they're any good.
I picked up the SMD DD-1 AND CC-1 tuning tools and they work great and are super easy to use.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-24-2016, 10:59 AM Reply   
I use the app called EAR. It's free and everyone has it. You simply open up the EAR app and adjust your amps until your system sounds good and then your done.

No but seriously I have never heard of such a App.

JL audio has a App with a DB meter A SPL meter and a Spectrum Analizer I could see the Spectrum Analizer working or helping out if your were trying to set your system up for A SQ comp but not a real life set up
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-24-2016, 11:07 AM Reply   
I wonder if they are referring the function generator apps?
I have used a few different free ones but can't remember their names.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       03-24-2016, 11:17 AM Reply   
I have used an app called tone gen pro to help me set crossover frequencies.
Old     (corerider)      Join Date: May 2008       03-24-2016, 2:53 PM Reply   
I know there are apps for generating tones for tuning, but I don't know about helping tune from a listening standpoint. all the dB meter apps I've seen only read to about 105dB because the mic in most all phones can't read any higher than about that, so I don't know if an analyzer would work too well. Think about anytime you've watched a video of someone's system taken with a phone... They sound horrible because the mic distorts so bad. Don't think that would make for accurate tuning.

I've used the SMD-1 with good success on multiple occasions and systems. It might not be the best way out there, but it certainly was better than my "EAR" app!
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       03-24-2016, 5:37 PM Reply   
There are limitations with an SMD DD-1. It is a great way to begin the tuning process. It works on each component in the signal path until you reach the final stage. When you get to the final amplifier output you cannot safely play a full amplitude sine wave into a speaker. So you test the amplifier output unloaded. The unloaded distortion-free output will not be equal to the speaker-loaded output. So you must estimate this difference. The transient nature of music material is very different than a sine wave, so that's another adjustment. Then you have to make adjustments for the speaker limitations and differences boat to boat which are completely outside of the DD-1 ability. Then you need to balance levels zone to zone, highpass to lowpass, and I've only scratched the surface. There is no device that will replace "by EAR". There is no APP that will replace the skills and technique learned from doing hundreds of systems with different equipment in different boats. There's no APP that can anticipate and process like an experienced technician, whether DIY or a professional. For the best, it's a bit of an art.
Old     (hookedonboardin)      Join Date: Oct 2006       03-25-2016, 12:52 PM Reply   
Thanks guys. I think maybe they might have been mentioning the test tone app that puts out certain tones to tune with.