Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       09-14-2014, 4:31 PM Reply   
Having a hell of a time backup up any slight incline or driveway lips since I redid my trailer brakes. Old brakes were done, a mixup of grease everywhere, no friction material, or detached friction material and of course everything crusty. New hard lines, new wheel cylinders shoes and hardware on both axles. Now it stops great, no complaints on braking performance.

Problem is backing up is not so easy now. Before it would offer some resistance but not cause much trouble, but now any incline or driveway lip will lock the brakes. For a quick backup on favorable ground I just deal with it but anything more and I'm fighting the lockout. Any jarring and it pops back and releases so I try various rubber bands, string, small bungees, etc. to hold it with various levels of success. If I'm smooth, steady, and quick it'll stay locked out long enough to get it positioned where I need the trailer. Trailer has a 5 pin but 5th is not connected to anything. I can't find anything on the master cylinder that looks like a lockout solenoid... Not sure if they came with them? I did find a little line lock for trailers (http://www.etrailer.com/p-T4748800.html), is that what these typically use and what I need to get? Some reviews say this one in particular is fragile. Are there better inline lockout solenoids? Are there other methods of locking out the trailer brakes? For clarification if relevant these are hydraulic drums on a dual axle trailer with brakes on both axles, master is an Attwood 85778.
Old     (volzalum)      Join Date: May 2009       09-14-2014, 5:07 PM Reply   
What brand trailer? What year? If it has the 5-pin, it should have the electric reverse solenoid. What connection on the tow vehicle?
Old     (WheelerWake)      Join Date: Mar 2013       09-14-2014, 5:22 PM Reply   
Drum brake trailers normally don't have the lock out, they don't need it. The wheel cylinders have only 1 piston in them which make the brakes only work in 1 direction. If they are installed backwards (left side on right side) the would function backwards, only work going backwards.
Old     (Giddyup)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-14-2014, 7:59 PM Reply   
if i had my trailer at home i would have taken a pic, i made the little piece that fits in to the lock out, out of steel i then welded it to a strip of steel, 1/2 wide 2"long and 1/8 thick. i then glued a magnet on the ends so i just put in place if I'm backing up with out the lights hooked up, one i back up i just take it off and put it on the trailer , with the magnets on it will stay in place , it will stick to the steel on the trailer so you never loose it.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       09-14-2014, 8:14 PM Reply   
A strong magnet can keep that lockout peg in place. It's a royal pain though isn't it.
Look at drag racing brake line locks from a speed shop. There are many that handle the load.
Some Here.

Last edited by rallyart; 09-14-2014 at 8:17 PM.
Old     (Wakesounds)      Join Date: May 2011       09-14-2014, 10:00 PM Reply   
This is what i bought for when my brakes act up. It has a magnet to keep it in place too.

http://m.ebay.com/itm?itemId=120941559235
Old     (Iceberg)      Join Date: Dec 2011       09-15-2014, 5:34 AM Reply   
Show us your hyd brake mechanism. Since you redid your brakes, that probably means your brakes did not work or di not work properly before. Even drum brakes will "brake" rolling backwards in a push, since the controller will apply pressure backing. Now, some controllers have a spring that will prevent "easy' movement to the cylinder in slow or very low pressure applications. Backing uphill usually would be enough for the brakes to start grabbing. Once they grab, the brake sets harder until the pressure is released.

Quote:
Trailer has a 5 pin but 5th is not connected to anything.
If it came with one, it probably has one or a previous owner replaced the lock-out valve. If it is indeed not hooked up, you will need a manual device like above^^ or one specifically for your unit. There are also ones that push and rotate on the top that act like a cover for the master cylinder. Fix it before you break your brakes!
Old     (Iceberg)      Join Date: Dec 2011       09-15-2014, 5:49 AM Reply   
break your brakes!