Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (99xstar)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-13-2011, 12:55 PM Reply   
Apologies...

I've been working on the tantrum this summer and find myself consistantly getting close and falling similar to what's pictured (twisted knee in this one and can't run a week later...). I'm hoping to be able to get back on the board for some drysuit action before the ice as I'm in MN.

To me, it looks like I turn completely backwards after leaving the wake, then let the rope get too high and away. Agree/disagree?

Any tips on preventing this? Should I try to grip it and pin my elbow to my side? Any advice is helpful. I can try to edit the vid to just this jump and post if needed.
Attached Images

Old    readyaimfire            09-13-2011, 1:12 PM Reply   
It looks like you are over turning at takeoff. Also if your eyes were open, u prob would have rode away!
Old     (99xstar)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-13-2011, 1:23 PM Reply   
I'm new to the trip flip, but are you thinking I can keep from over turning by not turning my shoulders as much?
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       09-13-2011, 1:33 PM Reply   
You're definitely letting the handle out a little too far on takeoff. In the second picture, it looks like you're going for a whirly. But ya, you could definitely ride away from that. That's really very close! Keeping your elbow in will give you more control and less line tension. That should be all you need.
Old     (99xstar)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-13-2011, 1:50 PM Reply   
Thanks. I'll see if I can muscle that handle in closer and see what's what. Been knocking on the door for a while, just need to ride away...
Old     (fifty)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-13-2011, 2:04 PM Reply   
more weight on the front foot. also as you come up the wake look to the second wake over your front shoulder. this will stop you from whirling a bit and keep you square on the landing
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-13-2011, 2:07 PM Reply   
Handle looks a little out and you could let off your edge even more - 100% square up. You cut into the wake at the top does nothing for this trick, its all the momentum you carry from the first 15+ ft. you're cutting in with.

Not that mine are perfect - but take a look at the phot below and compare the following -
I'm a more squared up to the boat - going straight up and over my back (like hitting a curb of you're roller-blading backwards)
My arm/handle isn't 100% extended, I have some wiggle room there
I stay a little more tucked up (grabbing in this one) -- but even without a grab it I think this form makes it easier
-- hope some of this help!

Last edited by sidekicknicholas; 09-13-2011 at 2:10 PM.
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-13-2011, 2:28 PM Reply   
Like Nick said, you need to square up at the peak of the wake (almost like stopping on the toe side edge of a snowboard) when you do this your momentum will kick you over the top. right now your throwing the tantrum behind you and that is why you are landing way tail heavy. When you square up you throw the tantrum over the top and you land nice and square.
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-13-2011, 2:30 PM Reply   
here's the how to video that really helped me.

http://www.wakeworld.com/news/featur...o-tantrum.html
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       09-13-2011, 2:32 PM Reply   
This might not be specifically related to your problem, but here's some advice that really improved my form on tantrums:

If you have access to a trampoline, practice going up first and then over. Pop straight up and then tuck sharply as you hit your apex and ball up, throwing your knees into your chest. This is the motion that's needed for a good indy tantrum, as opposed to the stalled out, legs extended position that you'd want for a stalefish tantrum. The indy tantrum motion will help you maximize your pop, get your board under you more quickly, and stomp your landing straight down instead of landing with your momentum still going backwards, which can lead to overrotation. With this motion, you'll finish your rotation much earlier and have plenty of time to sort out your landing or take it to fakie or to blind. In your photo sequence, you don't get your board under you until the last possible moment. IMO, the indy tantrum motion makes landing easier and is more stylish.

Obviously you can do this on the water as well if you don't have a trampoline.

Last edited by TheHebrewHammer; 09-13-2011 at 2:36 PM.
Old     (99xstar)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-14-2011, 6:40 AM Reply   
Wow. Really appreciate all the feedback. More weight on the front foot makes sense, and that combined with a closer handle should allow me to square up more. Once the knee is fully mended, I'll give it a more educated go.

Thanks again for taking the time!
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       09-14-2011, 5:40 PM Reply   
good luck!