Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Elliottsx80)      Join Date: Feb 2012       06-27-2016, 12:48 PM Reply   
6 XXXv2 hammering
Old     (tonality)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-05-2016, 3:18 PM Reply   
Friends dont let friends film vertically. Also, nice.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       07-06-2016, 6:55 AM Reply   
wouldn't it be WAAAAYYYY cooler if the bass was blowing some chicks hair around??
Old     (Truekaotik)      Join Date: Jun 2012       07-10-2016, 5:52 PM Reply   
That's all from 6 XXX? I was expecting more from the post I guess..
Old     (beg4wake)      Join Date: Aug 2012       07-11-2016, 7:32 AM Reply   
If by "hair around" you mean "tops off"! :P Just kidding....or maybe not!
Old     (pdqwrx)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-11-2016, 5:04 PM Reply   
Nice...
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-11-2016, 10:05 PM Reply   
It's pretty hard to convey how hard something pounds when all you have is a video on Vimeo of it. I'm sure those 6 XXX's are ridiculously loud. I'm also pretty sure those bottles wouldn't even be able to stand up if they were right in front of those subs. What do you have powering them, Robby?
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       07-12-2016, 1:17 PM Reply   
his head unit
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-12-2016, 1:18 PM Reply   
That thing is getting after it!! Yes I agree videos can be difficult to convey what Somthing sounds like. Example we were playing the other day. My friend asked if he could play a song on my System. He plugged in his I pod and played. Kansas,, http://youtu.be/2X_2IdybTV0. ( I know I know) not my style of music but he really wanted to hear it. We were in a private cove so no Ear drums were damaged due to my No County rule!
OMG this song was pounding. I was 50 feet away and it was hitting me pretty good. I would have never thought that song would be a Jam.
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       07-12-2016, 3:20 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant_west View Post
That thing is getting after it!! Yes I agree videos can be difficult to convey what Somthing sounds like. Example we were playing the other day. My friend asked if he could play a song on my System. He plugged in his I pod and played. Kansas,, http://youtu.be/2X_2IdybTV0. ( I know I know) not my style of music but he really wanted to hear it. We were in a private cove so no Ear drums were damaged due to my No County rule!
OMG this song was pounding. I was 50 feet away and it was hitting me pretty good. I would have never thought that song would be a Jam.
Welcome to the wide dynamic range of yesteryears recordings. Before everything was made to play through a personal stereo.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-12-2016, 4:51 PM Reply   
Quote:
Welcome to the wide dynamic range of yesteryears recordings. Before everything was made to play through a personal stereo.
^^^^ Amen^^^^^

Its hard to find good quality 192k and higher Recordings.

I gave up trying to only play 320Kb recordings Yes they pound and sound great but your very limited
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-12-2016, 6:40 PM Reply   
Quote:
^^^^ Amen^^^^^

Its hard to find good quality 192k and higher Recordings.

I gave up trying to only play 320Kb recordings Yes they pound and sound great but your very limited
All you need is darude Sandstorm
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-12-2016, 9:23 PM Reply   
LOL. Sandstorm!!!
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-12-2016, 11:04 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidAnalog View Post
I'd love to understand what you mean by that. In other words, please expand that statement and especially specific songs to make your point. I'm asking to learn. Not to challenge the statement. Tell me which songs describe your point best. I love a lot of types of music, but 70's rock isn't one of them, although I'm open to learning someone else's opinion of why certain stuff is worth listening to.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-12-2016, 11:11 PM Reply   
Quote:
If you're referring to being able to discern a recording where there's someone playing a triangle or cowbell or some other random percussion instrument in the distant background of the recording, I get it.

Btw, we all need more cowbell.
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       07-13-2016, 6:51 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by markj View Post
I'd love to understand what you mean by that. In other words, please expand that statement and especially specific songs to make your point. I'm asking to learn. Not to challenge the statement. Tell me which songs describe your point best. I love a lot of types of music, but 70's rock isn't one of them, although I'm open to learning someone else's opinion of why certain stuff is worth listening to.
In this case, 'dynamic range' would be the contrast between the background or soft passages and peaks. 18 dB dynamic range would be significant. That's a 1 to 64 power ratio. You know it when you hear it. The contrast. The clarity. You don't see that in the digital era. Over the years the dynamic range in most recordings has greatly diminished. More and more compression was introduced to make music sound louder, to facilitate air play, to fit the trend away from 2-channel Hi Fi and on to personal audio, which is a highly compressed format. Big and expensive studio recordings made way to music being produced on a Mac with digital software. MTV happened in the early '80s creating a shift from substance to style. The explosion in Rock of the late '60s and early '70s was really a fusion of just about every type of music. Jazz + rock. Folk + rock. Country + rock. Blues + rock. Classical + rock. Some of that music was highly complex. It was a highly competitive era. Big money was spent. Million dollar album productions in some cases. The drift was slow. In the '90s there was a revolt against the complex music of the previous generation. Music became simple. Don't get me wrong. Not all recordings from the 60s, 70s, and 80s were good. And there are some great recordings still being produced today. But there has been a major change in music, the recording industry, and the playback medium.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-13-2016, 7:04 AM Reply   
Quote:
In this case, 'dynamic range' would be the contrast between the background or soft passages and peaks. 18 dB dynamic range would be significant. That's a 1 to 64 power ratio. You know it when you hear it. The contrast. The clarity. You don't see that in the digital era. Over the years the dynamic range in most recordings has greatly diminished. More and more compression was introduced to make music sound louder, to facilitate air play, to fit the trend away from 2-channel Hi Fi and on to personal audio, which is a highly compressed format. Big and expensive studio recordings made way to music being produced on a Mac with digital software. MTV happened in the early '80s creating a shift from substance to style. The explosion in Rock of the late '60s and early '70s was really a fusion of just about every type of music. Jazz + rock. Folk + rock. Country + rock. Blues + rock. Classical + rock. Some of that music was highly complex. It was a highly competitive era. Big money was spent. Million dollar album productions in some cases. The drift was slow. In the '90s there was a revolt against the complex music of the previous generation. Music became simple. Don't get me wrong. Not all recordings from the 60s, 70s, and 80s were good. And there are some great recordings still being produced today. But there has been a major change in music, the recording industry, and the playback medium.
Okay. I appreciate the history lesson. I agree with the assessment of the 90's. I'm looking for songs that display the dynamics range you're talking about though.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-13-2016, 7:09 AM Reply   
David Thank you for your Over complicated answer. LOL j/k. Here is a much simpler version. #1 With the advent of I pods and trendy Headphones and most kids not even haveing a car, or a system to play the Need for a high quality recording is the way of the Dinosaur. #2 when the people that are producing music offer up their music they can offer it in higher bit rates but that would take longer to download and use more data, so most DJ's just post up the 92kb version of their latest offering. Most Itunes stuff is 192kb. (320kb is considered CD quality)

I will get into how compression effects sound if people are intrested?
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-13-2016, 7:16 AM Reply   
I would love to hear 6 xxx's in person, I'm sure it slams and that video does it no justice at all.

As far as the recordings, heck half of this new crap is done in home based studio now so I can't imagine that it's the best equipment on the market like the good old days.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-13-2016, 7:21 AM Reply   
Quote:
David Thank you for your Over complicated answer. LOL j/k. Here is a much simpler version. #1 With the advent of I pods and trendy Headphones and most kids not even haveing a car, or a system to play the Need for a high quality recording is the way of the Dinosaur. #2 when the people that are producing music offer up their music they can offer it in higher bit rates but that would take longer to download and use more data, so most DJ's just post up the 92kb version of their latest offering. Most Itunes stuff is 192kb. (320kb is considered CD quality)

I will get into how compression effects sound if people are intrested?
Yes Yoda. Tell us, you will? I would assume compression robs depth and detail from music.
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       07-13-2016, 7:51 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by markj View Post
Okay. I appreciate the history lesson. I agree with the assessment of the 90's. I'm looking for songs that display the dynamics range you're talking about though.
Your appreciation for quality recordings is going to be limited by the playback equipment.
Radio "hits" aren't necessarily where you will find the best recordings.
I would start with any re-issue by Mobile Fidelity. They don't produce music unless they can get their hands on some quality original tape. In SACDs.
Rock issues might include:
Steely Dan, Aja.
Allman Brothers Band, At Fillmore East.
Dire Straits, Brothers In Arms.
Santana, Caravanserai.
Little Feat, Waiting For Columbus.
Eagles, Hell Freezes Over.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-13-2016, 9:42 AM Reply   
I'm No YODA. Or Audio File geek. But feel free to over complicate a straight forward topic. (That's what Audio File dudes like to do) . No offense to detailed descriptions of subjects and exchange of information, that's what we are here for. But with many here including myself its best to just keep it simple and more people seem to pick up the info. That's all I'm trying to do. The last thing I wanna do is get into a Audio File geek out session. But bottom line. If you wanna geek out do this.
Pick a song. Download it at 92kb then 128kb then 196kb and @ 320kb what you will notice is each time the song gets louder and stronger. For a quick example. Download the 92kb and the 320kb versions the difference should be night and day. (note not all systems will be able to show you the difference) example a stock small system will not reproduce what I'm talking about. Think about it like this a small stock 4 cylinder motor Dosent care if it's getting 87 or 104 octane race gas. But try that same test in a high compression race motor? Get where I'm going.

So with that said. Everyone here wants the same thing. Current, and or Revelant high quality music, the question is where do you get it???? No doubt you can find HIGH quality versions of classical music but thoes Classic's for what ever reason Dosent seem to make girls wanna Twerk? So, the quest continues. This is my 2c I hate playlists or holding a I pod in my hand all day. I like to hit Play and then don't touch my I phone for 1-2 hrs playing a fully mixed track. That why you can focus on other things rather then what song are you gonna play next Ect. (If you get what I'm talking about then your ahead of the game) the Down side to this style of music play is your extremely limited on what's out there.
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       07-13-2016, 10:13 AM Reply   
Quote:
I'm No YODA. Or Audio File geek. But feel free to over complicate a straight forward topic. (That's what Audio File dudes like to do) . No offense to detailed descriptions of subjects and exchange of information, that's what we are here for. But with many here including myself its best to just keep it simple and more people seem to pick up the info. That's all I'm trying to do. The last thing I wanna do is get into a Audio File geek out session. But bottom line. If you wanna geek out do this.
Pick a song. Download it at 92kb then 128kb then 196kb and @ 320kb what you will notice is each time the song gets louder and stronger. For a quick example. Download the 92kb and the 320kb versions the difference should be night and day. (note not all systems will be able to show you the difference) example a stock small system will not reproduce what I'm talking about. Think about it like this a small stock 4 cylinder motor Dosent care if it's getting 87 or 104 octane race gas. But try that same test in a high compression race motor? Get where I'm going.

So with that said. Everyone here wants the same thing. Current, and or Revelant high quality music, the question is where do you get it???? No doubt you can find HIGH quality versions of classical music but thoes Classic's for what ever reason Dosent seem to make girls wanna Twerk? So, the quest continues. This is my 2c I hate playlists or holding a I pod in my hand all day. I like to hit Play and then don't touch my I phone for 1-2 hrs playing a fully mixed track. That why you can focus on other things rather then what song are you gonna play next Ect. (If you get what I'm talking about then your ahead of the game) the Down side to this style of music play is your extremely limited on what's out there.
Oops. Too late. You already geeked out.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-13-2016, 5:32 PM Reply   
Quote:
Your appreciation for quality recordings is going to be limited by the playback equipment.
Radio "hits" aren't necessarily where you will find the best recordings.
I would start with any re-issue by Mobile Fidelity. They don't produce music unless they can get their hands on some quality original tape. In SACDs.
Rock issues might include:
Steely Dan, Aja.
Allman Brothers Band, At Fillmore East.
Dire Straits, Brothers In Arms.
Santana, Caravanserai.
Little Feat, Waiting For Columbus.
Eagles, Hell Freezes Over.
Okay, thanks. That's what I was asking for. I get The Eagles Hell Freezes Over example. The live concert DVD of that was the whole reason I bought my first surround sound receiver 15 years ago. Near bottomless depth in that recording.
Old     (london)      Join Date: Mar 2016       08-02-2016, 6:36 PM Reply   
this boat has insane bass in person!