Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 05, 2009

Old     (tripsw)      Join Date: May 2006       11-13-2008, 8:04 PM Reply   
Anyone happen to be in Costa Rica late december (21/22)?
I'm organizing an event and am looking for some riders that can show some stuff (more than my 2 lame inverts) and maybe are willing to judge. I know that quite some people that read here visit CR for surfing, so if you happen to be one of them and would like to do some wakeboarding at the base of a active volcano...

(Message edited by tripsw on November 13, 2008)
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       11-13-2008, 8:12 PM Reply   
let me know next time you host an event i will try and get back down. im just going to be busy during that time. costa is my second home, wish we could have hooked up last month but i stayed in negra almost the whole time was firing over there. good luck with the event get us some pics. and for anyone wanting to go, thisis what aranal looks like.

Upload
Old     (ryker1)      Join Date: Oct 2008       11-13-2008, 10:02 PM Reply   
I've been on that lake and in CR during December. Good times for sure
Old     (focker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-14-2008, 3:13 AM Reply   
Last month I was down at Tamarindo for a week. Would've been more than happy to help out but then again, I had a hard time staying off the surfboard.
Old     (tripsw)      Join Date: May 2006       11-14-2008, 1:58 PM Reply   
Hey Bryan, thanks, nice to hear from you! Can't blame you, Negra is wicked.
Chad, did you wakeboard on the lake or do the van-boat-van to/from MOnteverde?
Old     (jame04)      Join Date: Nov 2007       11-16-2008, 7:15 AM Reply   
Where is this going to be? I will be in Manuel Antonio that week?
Old     (tripsw)      Join Date: May 2006       11-16-2008, 10:33 AM Reply   
It'll be at Lago Arenal, 5 minutes from Tilaran. It's a 1.5-2 hour drive from Puntarenas. Not sure how far Puntarenas is from Manuel Antonio, but I'll figure it out and let you know.
Old     (ryker1)      Join Date: Oct 2008       11-16-2008, 6:28 PM Reply   
Hey Sander,

I wish I wakeboarded on it. I did the van/boat thing lol. When we were crossing the lake we got some stunning visual effects as the clouds moved across the lake they had holes in them that let down these beams of light you could see. Hard to describe but really neat.
Old     (jame04)      Join Date: Nov 2007       11-17-2008, 8:58 AM Reply   
I actually dont have anything booked yet but that is one of the places we are looking. Anybody have any reccomendations, looking for a house to rent for 6-8 people.
Old     (tripsw)      Join Date: May 2006       11-17-2008, 9:28 AM Reply   
Hey Edgar, What would you like to see/do? If you plan to stay at one place for a week I wouldn't recommend Manuel Antonio. Nice for a day, but highly overrated imo.

Chad, sounds wicked! You do get some stunning visuals (sunsets, mists, rain, rainbows, ufo's, etc) around here.
Old     (jame04)      Join Date: Nov 2007       11-17-2008, 10:17 AM Reply   
Looking to surf (beginners), also hoping to see the rainforest and do some hiking. We have teenagers but also my 70 year old in-laws. We enjoy a good nightlife but not necessarily over crowded tourist spots.
Old     (tripsw)      Join Date: May 2006       11-17-2008, 4:25 PM Reply   
Hola Edgar, just sent you a PM.
Old     (jame04)      Join Date: Nov 2007       11-18-2008, 7:04 AM Reply   
Is a PM an email?
Old     (kopp210)      Join Date: Jan 2005       11-25-2008, 10:19 AM Reply   
I like the Jaco Area. There are some cool "surf camp" type places you could rent a beach house. The surf has been 4-6 and slow breaking every spring I have been there. There are some really nice bars right on the beach near the north of town that I love. Not big tourist traps, just a place on the beach to drink a beer.

For hiking in the jungle Manuel Antonio National park is about 1 1/2 hours drive South from Jaco. It is also a good place to spend a day on the beach.
Old     (snowboardcorey)      Join Date: Jan 2004       11-25-2008, 10:49 AM Reply   
Hey Sander you don't know Judd Dunham do you? Runs a boat for surf and booze type cruises.

If you meet him don't let him fool you, he has mad skills on a wakeboard.
Old     (tmoney8)      Join Date: Nov 2006       11-25-2008, 12:34 PM Reply   
i'll agree with ryan on jaco. Great place to catch some waves, hermosa beach has some great swells come through, especially in the winter. There is a surf camp called la playa, run by a dude named jason. The place is by far the coolest surf hotel i've ever been... ran by surfers, attended by surfers and just a real laid back environmnet. If you're going anywhere in CR, gotta at least give this place a look. Don't know about wakeboarding there, but i'm sure the dudes at the hotel could check it out for you and be into taking you wherever to get some sets in. Right by a national rainforest park, so hiking would be great too for sure. Super cheap down there as well
Old     (jame04)      Join Date: Nov 2007       11-25-2008, 12:58 PM Reply   
the reason for manuel is that there are still out of houses to rent that week there and people are starting to come down in price. We have 8 people so we need a house. My wife says there is a lot of drugs and prostituion in jaco.....not sure why thats a bad thing
Old     (rightside)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-25-2008, 1:10 PM Reply   
Edgar, check out this website. http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/central-america/costa-rica/puntarenas#12333 I rented a house off of it last year and couldn't have been happier. The community I stayed in is called Hermosa Palms and is about 15 minutes south of Jaco, lots of great surf spots, great community pool and friendly people, locals, tourists all around. It was relatively inexpensive for the awesome amenities you get.

You will definately need to rent a car though, but it just makes things that much easier.
Old     (rightside)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-25-2008, 1:11 PM Reply   
Oh and if your family is dead set on MA I would recommend Quepos for sure.
Old     (tripsw)      Join Date: May 2006       11-25-2008, 4:02 PM Reply   
Corey, where can I find Judd Dunham? Never heard of the guy but would really like to get in touch with him.
Jaco = drugs and prostitution, that's right. And good surf ofcourse, so whatever rocks your boat!
Old     (snowboardcorey)      Join Date: Jan 2004       11-26-2008, 5:20 AM Reply   
Sander, it's been a while since I've talked with Judd, can't remember where he's at down there.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       11-26-2008, 5:57 AM Reply   
Don't leave anything of value visible in your car when surfing at Hermosa (or Jaco for that matter)
Old     (tripsw)      Join Date: May 2006       11-29-2008, 1:34 PM Reply   
Managed to find Judd. Thanks for putting me on that track!

Here's the site for the event (still working on it, so keep an eye on it for updates):
http://www.flyzone-cr.com/takeoff2009
Old     (jame04)      Join Date: Nov 2007       12-03-2008, 7:14 AM Reply   
I wish we were not staying so far from this. Do you know of any wakeboarding down by Manual Antonio?
Old     (snowboardcorey)      Join Date: Jan 2004       12-03-2008, 8:07 AM Reply   
Hey Sander Tell Judd I said hi and that as soon as I get some cash for travel I'm crashing on his couch.
Old     (tripsw)      Join Date: May 2006       12-03-2008, 8:30 PM Reply   
Hola Edgar, sorry I hadn't replied yet. I might be able to find something for you, though it would be closer to Jaco than to Manuel Antonio. A LOT closer than Arenal however!

Corey, I'll forward the message.
Old     (jame04)      Join Date: Nov 2007       12-04-2008, 8:55 AM Reply   
excellent! if not then I guess maybe we rent a plane and go to Arenal
Old     (jame04)      Join Date: Nov 2007       12-08-2008, 2:09 PM Reply   
sorry to be a pest just seeing if anyone knows of any wakeboarding spots near manual antonio. I don't mind driving
Old     (tripsw)      Join Date: May 2006       12-09-2008, 7:53 PM Reply   
Hey Edgar, just sent you an email with some ideas to find wakeboarding in that area.
Do take that plane though and stop by at the event!
Upload