Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (jps120)      Join Date: Oct 2012       05-19-2013, 1:05 PM Reply   
I just moved to Nashville and have begun to look for houses. I am trying to get a house near the water so I can put the boat in quick and not waste time driving to the ramp. I have been out on priest before years ago and know that it has its fair share of shallow spots and gets pretty busy on the weekends. I have never been on old hickory or the river. Wanted to get yalls opinions because I am looking for houses now and this is a big part in my decision
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       05-19-2013, 6:27 PM Reply   
Good luck. There is a knoxville crew on here but not a lot from nashville.
Old     (bhyatt_ohp)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-20-2013, 8:31 AM Reply   
Percy Priest is very tricky in several places, specifically up towards Smryna/Mboro area where the water conditions are best. That lake is primarily rock bottom, so there is no "give" to the bottom anywhere. If you get a good lake map or GPS, the lake is a great option.

Old Hickory is my lake of choice because I bought a home 5 minutes from the boat ramp. Look at homes in Mt. Juliet, Lebanon, Hendersonville and Gallatin.

Both lakes are packed in the summer on weekends, so you will have to plan your riding accordingly.
Old     (widnejr)      Join Date: Jul 2009       05-20-2013, 11:37 AM Reply   
I have been going out on the Cumberland for several years now. They are doing a lot of upgrades to Rock Harbor Marina, and they let you rent a slip month to month. Good water and not crowded.
Old     (jeventures)      Join Date: Jun 2012       05-20-2013, 1:56 PM Reply   
I live in Crieve Hall about a 25 minute drive to my ramp of choice on Percy. If you're a bit of a morning or weekday person the water on Percy is great. If not then it's just okay. As for the shallow water a good depth finder and a local to take you out once and you will be fine.

The river is pretty much always good for riding so long as you live near a decent ramp/slip.

I've not ridden much of Old Hickory as I don't live close to it. When I have been on Old Hickory it's in a friends sailboat and the lake is winded, full of floating crap, and not as clean at Percy (not saying a whole lot though). There are some sweet houses on Old Hickory though and I'm sure someone familiar with the lake could point you to a few sweet spots.
Old     (jps120)      Join Date: Oct 2012       05-20-2013, 5:13 PM Reply   
JE do you ride on the nashville side of priest? does that side have as many shallow spots as the smyrna side?

Jason i see that Rock harbor is on the west side on nashville i was kinda of wanting to stay on the east side because of work and family. have you ever been on the river below the dam only things i have heard about it is that it is pretty dirty.

I appreciate the feed back guys. I am going out to priest tomorrow putting in at hurricane creek. Guess we are going to stay on that end of the lake and just cruise the area before we ride and just watch the depth finder.
Old     (jeventures)      Join Date: Jun 2012       05-20-2013, 8:09 PM Reply   
Yes, I ride a good bit between Smith Springs and the Hobson Pike bridge. Pick up a good chart map and you'll easily spot the shallow zones as they are pretty logical. A slowly sloping shoreline = shallow water. Steep = channel. When two channels are paralleled with no land in-between expect a sharp ridge under water separating them.
Old     (winchinretention)      Join Date: Oct 2009       05-21-2013, 6:35 AM Reply   
I live in Sylvan Park and stay away from the lakes. RIde the river, either rock harbor or drive a little to Sycamore or Clarksville. Our boat is in Clarksville and it's the best water you will find in the south. I've been doing this a LONG time and ridden a LOT of places and nothing even comes close.

JE, looks like were going to be moving to CH sometime in the next year.
Old     (NickEspi)      Join Date: May 2013       05-21-2013, 6:52 AM Reply   
I live in clarksville and must say that the river is pretty decent. Depending on what's going on at cheatam dam, the river will be butter and almost no current. That being said, I have seen it white cap. Just go down around the next bend and you'll be good though lol
Old     (widnejr)      Join Date: Jul 2009       05-21-2013, 6:55 AM Reply   
Josh,

I have put in just below the Dam at Lock 2 park, which is out close to Opry Mills. I never had any problem with debris, unless it had rained a ton and they were dumping water from the lakes. The good part about that ramp is that it is only 15 minutes to downtown from there, and it is about 40 minutes to lock through to Old Hickory. The water is usually really good back there too because the river walls are probably close to 20' and it blocks all the cross wind.
Old     (jeventures)      Join Date: Jun 2012       05-21-2013, 11:03 AM Reply   
Sloppy, let me know if you have any q's on CH. We've been here for 3 years and we are pretty happy with it.

Josh, Did you manage to avoid the rain today?
Old     (jps120)      Join Date: Oct 2012       05-21-2013, 6:23 PM Reply   
Haha no I did not avoid the Rain got drenched.. Just got done about an hour ago trying to get the carpet in the boat dry
Old     (jeventures)      Join Date: Jun 2012       05-22-2013, 5:55 AM Reply   
Well, it could have been worse. You could have been sitting at a desk like me! lol
Old     (jsw)      Join Date: Apr 2009       06-12-2013, 9:02 AM Reply   
Jason, Is that you in the yellow ssv on the Cumberland? I usually ride right around rock harbor in a red v-ride. Let me know if you wanna get out any this week and ride.
Old     (jsmilez321)      Join Date: Sep 2011       06-13-2013, 9:43 AM Reply   
What up guys long time no post... I live in Clarksville too. We ride the river on riverside dr and the new marina on the weekdays and head to sycamore creek on the weekends.. I love the good ol scumberland .. Holler at us if u see us we are in a blue and white axis ... Sycamore creek is in Ashland city and is a little quaint community, real quiet and my favorite ramp in all oI middle tn... My folks are building a house down there and after the flood there have been some real nice places being built down there. It's about a 30 minute drive to downtown Nashville. They actually consider that place "Cumberland lake". Still flows like a river to me, but there is usually always some glass and plenty wide to pull some dubs. See ya around!