Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (bmcgee)      Join Date: Nov 2007       01-09-2010, 5:22 PM Reply   
We had to put one of our pugs to sleep this morning, and i can honestly say i didnt think it would be this tough. Our other one, Hannah, has been sitting by the door waiting for Maggie to come home. She almost seems lost without her mom. Does anyone have any advice for making it easier on her? We've been giving her a ton of attention, but she still seems pretty upset.

Upload

Also, we want to get another dog, but were not really sure what breed. We want to stick with a breed about the same size as pugs, but without all the shedding. Any suggestions?
Thanks
Old     (mendo247)      Join Date: Mar 2005       01-09-2010, 7:55 PM Reply   
Sorry to hear that man. They dont call them mans best friend for nothing.
Old     (psych3060)      Join Date: Sep 2002       01-09-2010, 8:10 PM Reply   
Get another pug. They are awesome. I know they shed (I sweep daily) but really after a period of mourning, I would get another one in a heartbeat. Love my pug!
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-09-2010, 8:21 PM Reply   
Pugs are awesome dogs. Its a shame the shed so much.
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       01-09-2010, 10:34 PM Reply   
We have Puggles and they also shed quite a bit. Still worth it, our dogs are awesome.

I'm very sorry for your loss.
Old     (lizrd)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-10-2010, 5:07 AM Reply   
I'm very sorry to hear about your loss. While some may disagree some research indicates that dogs truly can mourn one another. Sometimes they stop eating for a few days, or like your dog, look and wait for their friend to come home. While it is hard, keep in mind it has only been a few hours. See how Miss Hannah is doing over the next week - she will likely improve as time passes.

I understand your interest in getting a new dog. If you are doing it primarily to help Hannah you may want to let some time pass. It is hard to remember but she and Maggie had known each other a long time to build such a relationship. Lots of times people expect their dog to bond with a puppy immediately so that it will be like they have a new best friend. This sometimes happens but it often takes days/weeks/months for them to pal around. In fact, adding a new dog immediately may add to the stress and anxiety that your family is already going through.

Losing a dog is not easy. It will take everyone in the household some time to adjust to the new situation. Good luck.
Old     (bmcgee)      Join Date: Nov 2007       01-10-2010, 4:45 PM Reply   
Yeah, were definitely not in a hurry to replace her. The vet told us to wait, and let the dog pick us, which i really think will be best for all of us. Hannah is doing better today. She was always one to love attention and shes been getting plenty of it.

Pugs are definitely an awesome breed. Hannah was one of Maggie's puppies from her first litter, and Hannah had two litters of her own. It was a lot of fun watching them grow up and seeing them off to there new owners.
Old     (lizrd)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-10-2010, 5:21 PM Reply   
She looks like she was a regal ole gal. I am glad to hear Hannah is doing better. I could never breed dogs and find new owners - I would cry over every single puppy leaving! Every day will get a bit easier and you will always have sweet memories.
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-10-2010, 7:57 PM Reply   
I don't even want to imagine losing our best friend, Chloe.

I'm sure time will help, but go ahead and grieve along with Hannah, it's a natural feeling of loss...
Old     (zo1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       01-11-2010, 7:44 AM Reply   
It sucks... We had to put on of ours down about a year and a half ago. It was horrible. He was mine before I even met my wife and a super cool dog. We spent so much time together in the woods et al.

The only thing that made it a little easier for us is the fact that we had gotten our Mastiff puppy about 5 months prior, and my wife was preggers at the time. Between a pup and a preggers, we did not have to much time to harp on it.
Old     (fatsac)      Join Date: Jun 2004       01-11-2010, 7:56 AM Reply   
Hang in there, bud.
Lolli has basically been my kid for six years now. Wimpy to say but I don't know what I would do without her around!
The only thing that would keep me from getting another pug is the worry they wouldn't be as cool and fun as my first one.
Upload
Old     (69flyguy)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-11-2010, 12:30 PM Reply   
Wait for a bit, then decide.
Rufus & our daughter follow each other around the house all day long. Upload
Old     (bmcgee)      Join Date: Nov 2007       01-11-2010, 1:13 PM Reply   
Yeah,the last thing i would want for Hannah would be to bring a puppy home and them not get a long. Hannah is so laid back that i don't really think it would be a problem, but we will just give it time.

Fatsac, does Lolli like to leave keep her tongue out like that a lot? Hannah is the same way, and it cracks me up.

Upload
Old     (fatsac)      Join Date: Jun 2004       01-12-2010, 9:26 AM Reply   
Man, she is the Gene Simmons of pugs. I wonder if it will turn shrivel up and fall off one day! Pugs are more creature than dog. Anyone who wonders what a pug is like needs to spend a day or two around one. You really can't describe their personality!