Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       03-04-2015, 2:46 PM Reply   
Ok I have been rocking Ronix bindings pretty much since the inception. Same goes for their boards. Was in the Cells originally until they changed the last in about 09 then I went to the Ones...... of which I still am rocking my '13 Ones. I have demoed a bunch of Liquid force gear just not my thing.

Recently went in to the Hyperlite shop and was pretty happy with the fit, look and feel of their new bindings and board designs. I have a really narrow a-b width foot so I need something to lock me in. They still had a 2012 Murray Boot for the systems which fit like a glove and felt amazing. The other boot in the Line was the AJ that seemed to lock me in.

I am really torn about going to the System Pros. They have withstood the time in which I think I am ready to finally take the plunge. I snowboard a ton so have no issues with the design and on/off. I am by no means a pro and still take some pretty hard backside diggers where the board occasionally pops loose on 5's and 3's when i get lazy. My guess is with the System Pro's the board/ feet are not really popping loose. So I guess that's where my concern is. Anybody who is also not a pro getting really jacked up or with these things ? or is it a null issue.

I am coming off the 2012 Mana which is a fast abrupt 3 stage board. ITs pretty unique in the fact thats its a true 3 stage with speed. I have always liked faster boards, Hyperlite Premier, Gator Prospect Ronix Covin, and the newer Dean Smith shaped Mana. I am leaning towards going with the Marek Bio over the Murray. Any thoughts on that? I like a little harder snap off the wake which i think the Murray may give, but I am pretty sure the Marek is the faster board. Am I right? I ride an 08 210 with around 2300lbs in it so the wake has some meat.

I am just looking to change things up. New boats and figured I pop for some new gear.. Haven't had Hyperlite gear in long time........ mostly because their bindings just never really fit me well. However most of their new boots seem to fit me pretty well and I like the idea of the System Pro's. Demoing isn't really an option
Old     (Bam6961)      Join Date: Apr 2011       03-04-2015, 5:19 PM Reply   
can't really comment on the Marek, but the systems i can give some insight. When taking diggers with the system usually ladders will pop loose or a tooth will break, which is better than ripping out the foot bed or base plate of tradition bindings. give hyperlite a call and they will usually send replacements no problem.

cons of the old system boots is they're heavy when compared to ronix bindings or hyperlites team boots. I used to wear the systems(1st gen) and still do from time to time, but i recently switched to the team boots and it made the board feel completely different (lighter). so if you don't mind the added weight they're great boots, and should last a long time.

2nd gen systems are a bit lighter and a little more cushiony
Old     (Jmaxymek)      Join Date: Feb 2012       03-04-2015, 5:40 PM Reply   
I didn't follow that very well.. Swat what model year are you looking at currently for each? Board and bindings.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       03-04-2015, 5:59 PM Reply   
Yea it was kind of long winded. Just wanted to give some background on what I was riding and where I was coming from.

In essence I am looking at going Marek Bio and System Pro bindings. The shop guy through the Murray at me so that's sitting in back of my head. Very rarely am I taking things into the flats. I am more of a wake to wake rider.

BAM
I did try the Teams, I am just between sizes in the 9-10 and 11-12 which is a shame because they really felt comfy. Option was going back to OT but I didn't want to do that. The CT's help me extend my season.
Old     (CRS_mi)      Join Date: Jul 2011       03-04-2015, 7:48 PM Reply   
Last season my Dad had the Mana with Ones and I had the Marek with Murray boots and current system bindings so I've rode what you're between. I also got to ride the Murray at Hyperlite experience with the newer webb boots. I personally felt that the Mana was slow. I think it's slower than both the Murray and Marek and it's definitely not as responsive edge to edge. The Marek pops as hard as the Mana and is much faster and the biggest thing is the landings are way softer. The Murray is kind of a good at everything board. It doesn't pop as hard as the Marek but it pops nicely and it's not as fast as the Marek but I feel like it's a lot quicker edge to edge due to it being a little narrower. System bindings tend to be a love or hate but my wife and I both love them. After she rode mine I had to buy her some and I also have bought the new Webb boots for this season. I think the only negative about them is they are a little heavier but it's not drastic and the newer ones have dropped weight.
Old     (tom_paz)      Join Date: Jan 2003       03-06-2015, 1:46 PM Reply   
xstarrider - I have been riding the systems for 4 years and the Marek for 2 years, so this is right in my wheel house. I will try not to be too lengthy in my feedback but i am a big fan of both the systems and the Marek. If you want more details, just let me know and I can go on and on.

Systems -
Pros: supercharged response when edging, minimal heel/toe lift, durable longer than traditional bindings (when the boots wear down over time, just click a few more notches on the ratchet to achieve more support, and if desired, replace just the boots over time instead of boot+binding)

Cons: ladder straps can break (only had this happen about 2-3 times in 4 years of riding at the Outlaw level, easily replaced by Hyperlite), tough to swim in since you cant straighten your foot/ankle like normal

The System pro's are sick, they come with an extra footbed to really cushion landings, and they have the new toe strap which can be worn over the top of the foot or "toe cap" style like snowboard bindings. I will say that I actually prefer them over the top of the foot since the volume of the toe box on system boots is smaller than a snowboard boot. As for taking diggers and breaking the ladder straps, yea this may happen, but its pretty rare and requires a hell of a hard edge catch to strip out the teeth. And Hyperlite has always sent me replacements no questions asked. On 95% of falls you wont come out and I've never had an issue. I have never noticed the weight being an issue, but they have DEFINITELY made them lighter and sleeker in more recent years.

Marek -
Pros: very fast for both glide speed and on edge (pretty much fastest ive ridden), generates lots of speed/line tension in a short distance, great edge-to-edge transition, tons of explosive pop (whether its vertical or into the flats depends on the width of your approach), softer landings in the flats (i feel all w2w landings are fairly soft no matter what board, just IMO)

Cons: a tad on the grippy side (i fixed this with 0.8 p-wings for my taste)

The Marek is sort of the evolution of the 3DS and the Premier, and has obviously been refined in the 2nd generation. Its more user friendly than the 1st gen marek, which was crazy sensitive edge-to-edge. I used to ride the Covin back in 08 and really liked it, and I love how the Marek rides. Definitely stoked to go out and ride again, hopefully the snow melts real soon. Hope this review helps and let me know if you want more info about either one.
Old     (Bit)      Join Date: Aug 2014       03-12-2015, 7:01 AM Reply   
I'm asking myself to buy another ronix one boot or try the hyperlite system binding.... i never rides in a park.

is there a difference between the 2014 and 2015 Versions?
Old     (CRS_mi)      Join Date: Jul 2011       03-12-2015, 7:37 AM Reply   
Only difference depending on which binding you go with would be the toe strap. Most of the boots have had very small tweaks from 14 to 15 except the Webb which is the same besides color. The fit is the same from 14 to 15 though.